• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Up at Stowe this weekend but feeling sick with a cold. So I didn’t ski today but @LKLA informed me that I didn’t miss anything — ie, ice and crowds.

I did make it to the Matterhorn though for lunch so the day wasn’t a total loss. Try again tomorrow.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Tomorrow should be decent. I thought today wasn't too bad, certainly could have been worse anyway! Free ride competition on Lookout seemed like a pretty bad idea though!

James

Out There
Instructor
Well I heard people were trying to get refunds at 1pm due to conditions.
It was a very weird day. Some soft then not. Ice and sugar.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For our Killington ski weeks, Saturday is our travel day to avoid the crowds. It was incredibly windy this morning as we packed up, sounds like we didn't miss much. Friday after the rain skied just fine for our last day.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Sunday Stowe report. Stowe received 4” or so last night. Pretty fluffy snow so it didn’t bond particularly well (ok, it didn’t bond at all) to the base but it looked good. Definitely scraping along the ice underneath though.

Left side of Nosedive was good. Gondola was down due to wind hold for a bit in the morning so there were some nice turns to be had by traversing over there. Gondola opened late morning and promptly had a big line.

Woods were... interesting. After lunch the gondola trails were as icy as I’ve ever seen them, especially the top half. More ice skating then skiing. Called it a day.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Icy hard pack everywhere today at Magic. Upper mountain was in mostly good shape but some trails as you head down were dodgy. Lots of icy hard pack, ice to ski over, obstacles to go around and patches of thick ice to navigate around. A couple years ago I would have freaked over a day like today but today it was fine once I switched skis to something with a good tune. The upper mountain was really good. A handful of trails will be lost with the next warm up but what is good still was good. Upper Magic carpet off summit was great but Lower magic carpet was pretty much shot but still open with major obstacles to ski around, this will be the next trail to close. Up your sleeve was very dodge and we lost Vertigo. My redsters were like skiing on butter knives so put them away until I can get them tuned. Took out Dynastar 67 underfoot slaloms and then we had something going on. We had fun. West side only had Wiazard groomed and ski patrol advised us to stay on the east side so that's what we did. With a warm up coming today might be out last Magic day but we'll play it by ear. They plan to stay open until April 7th but we'll see. Waiting until Magic/Bromley close before we switch to Killington full time. We skied Mount Snow on Friday and what started out as an ugly day turned into blue bird packed powder gloriousness. Roller Coaster off Canyon was insanely fun. Mount Snow again tomorrow and then I start my new temp job Tuesday so I have to skip Hunter.

54415303_10156293077062781_7715843858898092032_n.jpg

53888966_10156292411237781_1954490490850115584_n.jpg

55719380_10156292411312781_7374383616584843264_n.jpg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Loon on Saturday was very icy. I took my old Volks with horrible base edges which made things interesting; my wife was beating me down the trails. It wasn't too busy but on a runout to the bottom a kid coming from behind clipped the back of my ski. It caused him to do a snowboard 360 but neither of us fell.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone ski southern VT today (Monday)? Mt. Snow, Stratton, Killington? Conditions?
Just got back from Utah, and I'm jonesing for another couple of days. I know it won't be epic, but hoping it isn't either ice or mud. Responses?
Magic doesn't sound all that good.....

James

Out There
Instructor
Okemo was pretty good. Moguls not so much. Most of woods closed. No mud, too cold though bottom did get wet snow from sun.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@tch magic was fine provided you had razor sharp edges and were able to avoid the obvious bad spots. We had fun. Mount snow was similar today but better than magic as they have more snow depth so less patches of ice but some dust on crust, skied my slaloms and had fun. Ridge was the hidden treasure as it was mostly packed powder with edgeable hard pack. Warmup is coming and the snow will soften.

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Mt. Snow is Great on the morning groomers.!

But it falls off rapidly as the day progresses. The tree areas glisten with the refrozen coral reef. The bumps look like glazed dumplings. (I didn't go in) Sand on glass on a lot of the open runs. The sun really helped the bottom ... Hope for more!

Tomorrow should be a repeat of today. single digit overnight temps will do that.
When it warms a bit, everything will soften and get broken up.

Pulling sleds was all white knuckle and fast!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thx for the reports! ogwink

James

Out There
Instructor
How much brown?
No brown. Well there's some beige on one trail from the damn groomer parking lot that's dirt. They always drag it out this time of year. Can't stand it. This ain't rocket science.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Nice spring day up here at Hunter Mountain. Still has a pretty good base except in a few areas where some grass is showing. Westside shut down but Northside is open and skiing great. I finally went into the ugly Summit Building and discovered they have quite a collection of old skis if anybody's into that ,stop in it's worth checking out.

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_114757841.jpg
    IMG_20190320_114757841.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20190320_114019556.jpg
    IMG_20190320_114019556.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online