• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
What's up with Magic?

Ski for free on Friday? Do you have to reserve a spot or just show up? May head up if the forecast holds.

Yeah ski free friday.

Magic has some partnership with Lycored who has some wellness app “
so just show up friday and grab a lift ticket as your only cost will be your bar tab. I have to adult during the day but am heading up to condo friday night.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I know dammit. I'm very disappointed in myself. I did get "stuck" in vermont a couple weeks ago on a small powder day on a monday. I'm hanging onto that for the moment.

Sounds like you need to move north permanently.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
What kind of shape is Magic in? If So. Vt gets a few inches during the day on Friday, will that get most of the mountain going?

Would Stratton or Bromley be a better bet?

If I go to Stratton I’ll be looking to ski trees, ungroomed, etc.

None of it is a day trip for me and I can’t stay for Saturday and it may be my last day of the year. Trying to make the best choice.

James

Out There
Instructor
I would think Stratton is slways a better bet. Magic is still working on emptying the Hot Tub Time Machine. Woods could be decent if it softens. Everything was rock hard Monday in S Vt

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
What kind of shape is Magic in? If So. Vt gets a few inches during the day on Friday, will that get most of the mountain going?

Would Stratton or Bromley be a better bet?

If I go to Stratton I’ll be looking to ski trees, ungroomed, etc.

None of it is a day trip for me and I can’t stay for Saturday and it may be my last day of the year. Trying to make the best choice.

You might want to come a tad further north. Hoping we get the 6-10" predicted.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 7.36.17 PM.png

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Im not a Stratton gal but between magic and bromley i'd pick bromley. Magic is always my first choice but when we skied there last sunday only 2 trails were open on the west side and ski patrol advised against both. Most of the east side was open and coverage was good on the top and variably sketchy mid mountain down depending which trails you were on. That can all change with a powder day at magic but it will all depend what they can groom and what falls from the sky friday. Bromley still has 43 trails open and 27 of them were groomed last night. Bromley has more of a base so usually fares better. I did get powder alerts from on the snow with 11" predicted for mount snow, bromley and killington. How last minute can you decide?

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Im not a Stratton gal but between magic and bromley i'd pick bromley. Magic is always my first choice but when we skied there last sunday only 2 trails were open on the west side and ski patrol advised against both. Most of the east side was open and coverage was good on the top and variably sketchy mid mountain down depending which trails you were on. That can all change with a powder day at magic but it will all depend what they can groom and what falls from the sky friday. Bromley still has 43 trails open and 27 of them were groomed last night. How last minute can you decide?

Probably gonna make a decision tomorrow morning and if I do, will drive up after work tomorrow.

Am considering going a little further north to K. Does sound like a better bet but if I can steal a good day a little south of that I’ll take it. Even if the terrain isn’t as good.

Either way I’ll be driving back to Long Island Friday night. Such is my skiing life...

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice spring day up here at Hunter Mountain. Still has a pretty good base except in a few areas where some grass is showing. Westside shut down but Northside is open and skiing great. I finally went into the ugly Summit Building and discovered they have quite a collection of old skis if anybody's into that ,stop in it's worth checking out.

And great burgers...

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Southern Vermont went from "The day hell freezes over" to springtime heaven about 12:28 this afternoon.

I was lapping a south facing bump run at the time, and every lap was better than the last. By late afternoon, skiing was good everywhere.
What had been locked up, was turned into a positive spring conditions delight!

Lucky me!

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just from looking at the snow totals this season compared to normal, it looks like Southern VT including Magic haven't been quite as blessed as Central and Northern VT. Magic is at 126" right now whereas Killington/Sugarbush/MRG are sitting at just over 200" and Jay/Smuggs are well over 300".

James

Out There
Instructor
How about falling water totals? Days over 35 deg?
126 inches preserved would be pretty good.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Just from looking at the snow totals this season compared to normal, it looks like Southern VT including Magic haven't been quite as blessed as Central and Northern VT. Magic is at 126" right now whereas Killington/Sugarbush/MRG are sitting at just over 200" and Jay/Smuggs are well over 300".

Stats are subjective!

Our patrol director just spent the past two days "vacationing with his wife and child" at Jay Peak.

His comments on the conditions?

Jay has had the same multiple freeze thaw cycles as we have had here in S Vt. There was some great skiing and riding when you found it, but mostly it was just hard surfaces. and crust, even in the trees./

Go figure!

Spring corn at the greater accumulations should be a consideration.
Corn is way better than dirt!

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
For what it's worth, groomed runs in Okemo were excellent yesterday and this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor