• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stowe just put out a warning on twitter to avoid tree skiing due to the ice and variable conditions under the newly fallen snow.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Back on track. Stowe today was some fun low angle noodling. Groomers were best and some very small patches near groomer that were not touched actually skied bottomless. Some places much deeper than 7 inches, some places like the toll house woods areas were much less, like maybe 3.

Sadly the new snow while it was kind of heavy started very cold and really didnt bond to the old rain crust at all. We skied only green level woods and honestly even then you still hit bottom hard, anything steeper than light blue and ungroomed is seriously dangerous, and we saw multiple injuries today from people sliding into objects.

Also a Stowe first about 50 yards of Liftline slide away today.

51641737_10218052215768025_7493082721506295808_n.jpg

I ll post some video of the low angle noodling today. It was fun, and tomorrow groomers should be epic!

Thanks for this report. That helps with understanding the upcoming conditions in New England for the next day or so.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think Stowe/Smuggs got particularly hard hit by the freezing rain.

No amount of snow will fix this....its going to take a good warm up, and then rain changing to snow.

The Back(yard)country conditions have improved greatly though.

51781259_10157853590113357_3599858862418558976_o.jpg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
So.VT skied quite nicely today.

Call it 9 inches of "well consolidated" snow. A bit heavy ,(and a lot of work) for the first few trips down in the morning. But then it sort of "dried out".

Second down rip cord after opening the access rope, PRETTY SWEET! but it won't last, I'm sure.
3:00 this afternoon, I and one of my fellow ski bums, ripped some nice lines through the trees of Trials. Top to bottom, that is a good long run.
Tomorrow a foursome is set to go out a ways on "The Ridge Trail". Then drop down through Forest Service access terrain. Should be good. I'm bringing the light weight AT set up.
;-)

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Were we off track because we went more than three posts without talking about Stowe? ;) :roflmao:

back on track because there just bunch of mud be slung about low dollar resorts.

does anyone have any video from MRG or sugarbush with out sound over it from yesterday? trying to see if they get better snow than we did.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe Maine fared better.
Sunday River skied well yesterday, but we gave up after a few runs when the goggle icing went from "I can't see much" to "Stevie Wonder in the fog" territory. I heard that the freezing NCP went away a little after 10, and the blue sky did come out in town. A little bit of creme-brulee crust was involved, so skier traffic should generally be helpful.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe Maine fared better.

Sunday River skied well yesterday, but we gave up after a few runs when the goggle icing went from "I can't see much" to "Stevie Wonder in the fog" territory. I heard that the freezing NCP went away a little after 10, and the blue sky did come out in town. A little bit of creme-brulee crust was involved, so skier traffic should generally be helpful.

Sunday River skied very well yesterday. We fought through the icing event in the morning, and it did indeed stop around 10-ish, when it started snowing again. Blue skies didn't appear until 1-ish on the mountain. They reported 12 inches...which I'd agree with that assessment. Enough snow to open all of the ungroomed stuff back up, and the snow was just dense enough that you didn't sink to the hard pack underneath. I think the snow was also warm enough to start softening the glacial ice pack from last weekend, which was nice for when you did sink to the bottom. I found a little bit of crust here and there, but nothing bad, everything was easily broken through.

Yea...good day :)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Were we off track because we went more than three posts without talking about Stowe? ;) :roflmao:
That's because everything south of Sugarbush/MRG, is the Poconos! However we make an exception for Kmart around Thanksgiving and beginning again around Easter ... if you haven't noticed, lately Mr. @Guy in Shorts and @Brian Finch have been MIA! Proof positive my fellow Pugsters, proof positive!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sunday River skied very well yesterday. We fought through the icing event in the morning, and it did indeed stop around 10-ish, when it started snowing again. Blue skies didn't appear until 1-ish on the mountain. They reported 12 inches...which I'd agree with that assessment. Enough snow to open all of the ungroomed stuff back up, and the snow was just dense enough that you didn't sink to the hard pack underneath. I think the snow was also warm enough to start softening the glacial ice pack from last weekend, which was nice for when you did sink to the bottom. I found a little bit of crust here and there, but nothing bad, everything was easily broken through.

Yea...good day :)

Cool, we're going to stop by on Sunday on our way to Sugarloaf. I always forget about north peak but for some reason northern exposure is a lot of fun. There will probably be some rocks and ice by the end of the weekend but that's ok as long as it's not all hard ice and trails get closed.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's because everything south of Sugarbush/MRG, is the Poconos!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I think Killington, and Stratton, and Okemo, and Magic, and Bromley, and Mount Snow, and Berkshire East, and Butternut, and Jiminy Peak, and a few others would beg to differ. (Camelback, Blue, Jack Frost, Elk, and a few others in the Poconos may beg to differ too. :P)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think Killington, and Stratton, and Okemo, and Magic, and Bromley, and Mount Snow, and Berkshire East, and Butternut, and Jiminy Peak, and a few others would beg to differ. (Camelback, Blue, Jack Frost, Elk, and a few others in the Poconos may beg to differ too. :P)

Just to clarify, Elk is not in the (sniff, sniff) Poconos (sniff, sniff), it's in the Endless Mountains between the Catskills and the (sniff) Poconos... :roflmao:

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Leaving work early today to drive up to Killington with school teaching friend and wives in tow. He has to ski Vermont over the holiday weekends or he doesn't ski them. Actually, he's a dual threat with snowboard and skis. At least he was able to get Friday off for one decent day if the rain holds off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online