• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
$750 for a season pass? And you can’t even ski on one of the few ”powda days” we’ve had this season!?!?! Btw, weren’t they closed last week for a day or two as well?

Magic has about 10 different season passes so something for everyone. They also have a powder pass. Any of the passes will allow you to ski a powder day provided the day doesn't fall within a black out period on your pass such as between christmas- new year's on the black out pass. They did close on friday to preserve snow pack.

April is the time to buy passes as you can get a blackout pass for around $440. They are cheaper than that depending on what your needs are.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Magic has about 10 different season passes so something for everyone. They also have a powder pass. Any of the passes will allow you to ski a powder day provided the day doesn't fall within a black out period on your pass such as between christmas- new year's on the black out pass. They did close on friday to preserve snow pack.

April is the time to buy passes as you can get a blackout pass for around $440. They are cheaper than that depending on what your needs are.

I appreciate the insight, but if you are not going to be allowed to ski when you want to - not to mention not being able to ski when conditions are about as good as they are going to get - then paying $450, or anything at all, would seem like a waste.

I would think that Magic would really want to focus on establishing a strong base of season pass holders and property owners and "invested" customers like yourself and focus on providing them with the best experience possible to establish a solid foundation and recurring revenue stream before they started closing down the mountain and doing these one off events.

I believe you bought a condo there - I would be pissed off as all hell if I had bought season passes, a house and was spending all sorts of money at Magic and they told me I could not ski last week (Friday) and that I could not ski today, Wednesday. They already opened over a month after many other places (Dec 8th).

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I appreciate the insight, but if you are not going to be allowed to ski when you want to - not to mention not being able to ski when conditions are about as good as they are going to get - then paying $450, or anything at all, would seem like a waste.

I would think that Magic would really want to focus on establishing a strong base of season pass holders and property owners and "invested" customers like yourself and focus on providing them with the best experience possible to establish a solid foundation and recurring revenue stream before they started closing down the mountain and doing these one off events.

I believe you bought a condo there - I would be pissed off as all hell if I had bought season passes, a house and was spending all sorts of money at Magic and they told me I could not ski last week (Friday) and that I could not ski today, Wednesday. They already opened over a month after many other places (Dec 8th).

I can see you points but if we paid a gazillion dollars for our condo and were after the Stratton experience then I might be pissed. However, Magic isn't the only place we ski, I've only not been able to ski there 2x and I wasn't around anyway. We've seen nothing but improvements since the new owners took over. If Magic was the only resort around and there were multiple times I couldn't ski then I might be irked but quite the opposite is the case so we couldn't be happier.

I think Magic does a lot for it's passholders which is why there are so many choices. If you never ski holidays then get the black out pass. If you only ski holidays then get the white out pass. There's a sunday pass, a powder pass, a couples pass and a bunch more. You pick the pass that will allow you to ski when you want and you are set. I have the blackout pass because I'm at bromley working during those periods anyway. Next season we'll get the couple's pass as that's about $500 each and there's no blackout days. I don't think it's a waste at all because I've always been able to ski when I've wanted.

Magic has a very strong basis of loyal customers and I imagine many of us have passes. They also let anyone who works at bromley ski for free so they are very accommodating.

During the week stuff doesn't bother me much because I'm in CT during the week. That said a mid week closure doesn't bother me because I have a pass at Bromley, Mount Snow and discounts at other places. I completely understand a mountain closing down to preserve snowpack because the more they can preserve, the better the base will stay and when they blow snow again it'll be better in the long run. Today is actually the first time this season they've closed the mountain for a rental. While it's a bummer I imagine we are all stoked for Magic because it's a solid day of revenue plus whatever people eat/drink at the bar.

Yes they did open December 8th but that's the earliest they've ever opened given all their improvements to the mountain so noone is complaining. They also had a powder day on 12/1 so had a soft opening then so I got to have my first ever magic experience on a powder day which was pretty special.

Magic isn't Stowe, it's not Killington, it's not a fancy, schmancy place like many other resorts. However, what Magic is would be a very cool place with an extremely loyal following and they have FANTASTIC TERRAIN. They really take care of us. It's on of the few places that has affordable lunches. Management is there every day including the president as you can always find them in the bar. Magic is in probably the best shape it's been in a long time and things are only getting better. New snowmaking pond coming over the summer.

Magic is a special place and I'm thinking next season we'll just get our Bromley and Magic passes for the majority of the winter and then the Killlington spring pass and we'll be set.

Magic will be open to the public tomorrow for throwback Thursday and $29 lift tickets. Their tag line is where skiing still has their soul and it's true. Other mountains have lost their soul long ago.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
That’s a bargain.

You would only need 50 at $50 per Pug.

For reference, the most people we've ever had for the annual New England Gathering is about 20. Given the infamous variability of New England weather and conditions, I think you'd have trouble getting anywhere close to enough Pugs to make it "cheap" on a per-person basis.

I wonder how often they're able to rent the place out. Does sound fun though to have your own private resort for the day.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
For reference, the most people we've ever had for the annual New England Gathering is about 20. Given the infamous variability of New England weather and conditions, I think you'd have trouble getting anywhere close to enough Pugs to make it "cheap" on a per-person basis.

I wonder how often they're able to rent the place out. Does sound fun though to have your own private resort for the day.

I think this is the first time they've rented the mountain out this season. I like the idea of it. Although the place is so fabulously uncrowded on any given day you almost have the place to yourself on a regular day.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

The mountain is only rented out Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday so you would likely get even less people.

Still, if you could get 10 people at $300-$400 a pop it may not be such a bad deal. The question is how much of the mountain will be open and how many lifts will be running. If the mountain is 100% open (all 45 trails, plus glades) and you have all three lifts operating, then it seems like a good deal to me.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

I think most people realize what they are doing when they choose to buy a pass at a smaller mountain. As a small business owner, I feel much better handing over my money to a mountain like Magic or Plattekill vs. any one of the multi resort passes. I mean you gotta do what you gotta do to ski, but actually supporting the little guy feels good, not like a ripoff.

Jersey Skier

Skier
The mountain is only rented out Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday so you would likely get even less people.

Still, if you could get 10 people at $300-$400 a pop it may not be such a bad deal. The question is how much of the mountain will be open and how many lifts will be running. If the mountain is 100% open (all 45 trails, plus glades) and you have all three lifts operating, then it seems like a good deal to me.

I know Plattekill rents for $4500 and the whole mountain is open. Might be easier for them since it's a day trip from NYC.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I think most people realize what they are doing when they choose to buy a pass at a smaller mountain. As a small business owner, I feel much better handing over my money to a mountain like Magic or Plattekill vs. any one of the multi resort passes. I mean you gotta do what you gotta do to ski, but actually supporting the little guy feels good, not like a ripoff.

It's true and I agree. Magic is so good to us. Michael was going to buy a pass and Kerry, one of the managers was like why buy a pass, you work at Bromley, you are set. We are going to get a couple's pass in April for next season just because we really want to support the little guy in every way we can. I mainly ski Bromley and Magic with a few times at Mount Snow and Killington in the spring but in all honesty Magic and Bromley are more special to us. Going into the black line tavern (lodge at base of magic) and there's so much Magic pride, everyone has magic gear on.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...Although the place is so fabulously uncrowded on any given day you almost have the place to yourself on a regular day.

This isn't always true though... I believe @mdf, @JohnL, and @Tony S has a terrible time with lift lines on MLK weekend... 20-30 minute lift lines as they only had one lift running. (Not sure how unusual it is to only have 1 lift going...) Might have been a perfect storm of holiday, conditions, and lift issues.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I called Magic a few months ago to ask if they have a discount for people with season passes at other places. They said no, check out our website for specials. I understand their position on this, but since i have to by 4 tickets and have two kids that plan on going to college my generosity can only go so far. For $50 each I would have been happy to go for a day and buy lunch etc.

Pretty funny or sad that $200 is drop in the ski bucket these days.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This isn't always true though... I believe @mdf, @JohnL, and @Tony S has a terrible time with lift lines on MLK weekend... 20-30 minute lift lines as they only had one lift running. (Not sure how unusual it is to only have 1 lift going...) Might have been a perfect storm of holiday, conditions, and lift issues.

Man that sucks. Not unusual at all at that time to only have 1 running. They only have 3 chairs but the black one is out of commission at the moment and MLK weekend was before the mid mountain chair (green) was running so the Red chair was IT.

Jersey Skier

Skier
I called Magic a few months ago to ask if they have a discount for people with season passes at other places. They said no, check out our website for specials. I understand their position on this, but since i have to by 4 tickets and have two kids that plan on going to college my generosity can only go so far. For $50 each I would have been happy to go for a day and buy lunch etc.

Pretty funny or sad that $200 is drop in the ski bucket these days.

Serious question. Do most mountains offer a discount if you have a season pass elsewhere?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've only had Cannon reciprocate and that was helped by the fact we were considering buying a season pass there the following year. Which we did and the guy we had originally dealt with got a cut or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online