• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, it's been a long time since I've bothered with an extension weekend and forgot. The snow is so much better this year. They also did a poor job of letting folks know.

We made good use of the time after the early closure and hiked up to about 12,500 feet on the east summit of Loveland Pass. Kiddo wanted to go to the top but too much snow for our running shoes.

Great view of A-basin from up there:

View attachment 75534

And looking back at Loveland Pass from A-basin. We were second last chair on Lenawee for the weekend:

View attachment 75535

And a bunch of other pics showing the fantastic skiing at A-basin on June 9th:

View attachment 75529 View attachment 75528

View attachment 75531

View attachment 75532

It's really melting fast. Next weekend isn't going to look anything like that. :(
That coverage is insane!

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, it's been a long time since I've bothered with an extension weekend and forgot. The snow is so much better this year. They also did a poor job of letting folks know.

We made good use of the time after the early closure and hiked up to about 12,500 feet on the east summit of Loveland Pass. Kiddo wanted to go to the top but too much snow for our running shoes.

Great view of A-basin from up there:

View attachment 75534

And looking back at Loveland Pass from A-basin. We were second last chair on Lenawee for the weekend:

View attachment 75535

And a bunch of other pics showing the fantastic skiing at A-basin on June 9th:

View attachment 75529

View attachment 75528

View attachment 75533

View attachment 75531

View attachment 75530

View attachment 75532

It's really melting fast. Next weekend isn't going to look anything like that. :(
Sorry I missed you. I was up from 9:30 till around 1:45. Hard refreeze on Sat night so things were a little crusty early and the west facing side of the Ramrod bumps took a good while longer to loosen up than the east

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ouch It’s been 2:30 for the extension weekends for as long as I can remember. It’s posted off the link on the main page about the extensions.

View attachment 75482

My guess is they cut the afternoons short so the snow doesn’t get too beat up and they have more time to work on grooming.

Not a lot of hours to “come late”, though.

I sent A-basin an email and they put the abbreviated lift hours on the homepage and the top of the extended weekend page. I think they may have heard from more than just me. Very nice they listened and improved the messaging. :thumb:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's hard to see from the webcams, but....

It was a bit of a shock to see how much snow had melted at A Bay by this morning, Friday. Only two runs still open on the lower half, High Noon and Sundance. And those two are now half as wide lower down, the snow from one side of each run pirated to cover the other side: twin, narrow WROD runs, full on last days.

Up top was better, but soft from the start and getting gluey, for me, well before noon. Sigh. I'm just hoping for cooler weather.

Last weekend, the snow was still heroic, especially on Sunday when it was cooler.
Now, looks like they will have to make much effort to be open past the 23rd. Touch and go.

June sun days sure can change things fast. (Maybe five to nine more ski days left here.)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Its still looking darn good and skiing very well!

Today:

IMG_5696.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

Loveland still has PLENTY of snow...

IMG_5720.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looks anazing. What's going on with lower Ramrod?

They are farming snow and made some space for water to go. I only went down there on my last run to leave.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sunday by noon - no Lake Reveal yet. Not even close.

Snow and conditions got better Saturday and Sunday.
(It was cooler, and snow stayed firmer - much less risk of sticking. Also, rain/snow/sleet/hail each night had the pleasant effect of smoothing out the groomers some, especially on Saturday.)

After all the rough-edge snow moving by the groomer cats before Friday, there was great re-working of the snow each night to improve things further. Good results.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This is just incredible, June 18 and China Bowl is still full of snow :drool::drool::drool:

Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 11.09.25 AM.png

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. On closer inspection (after skiing), for me it's sorta rock ski time at the Bay. (Edge damage two of three days.) I'll still go. Can't wait.

(Man, those Black Crows Nocta skis must be incredible, to have gotten rid of the Moment Deathwishes.)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
P.S. On closer inspection (after skiing), for me it's sorta rock ski time at the Bay. (Edge damage two of three days.) I'll still go. Can't wait.

(Man, those Black Crows Nocta skis must be incredible, to have gotten rid of the Moment Deathwishes.)

Its a different ski. I would have kept both but wife has me on a strict 3 pairs of skis diet. But yeah, the Noctas are REALLY good.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Al posted this shot today.

View attachment 76058

That shot was definitely not today unless they got some snow! :huh:

Did you see the forecast for the weekend!!?? Yes, cold and freezing conditions for the high country. :eek: :thumb::D

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
That shot was definitely not today unless they got some snow! :huh:

Did you see the forecast for the weekend!!?? Yes, cold and freezing conditions for the high country. :eek: :thumb::D

They did report .5” :D.

Ugh on the weather. I was planning to come up on Friday, still need to get in a lift served day and as of a couple days ago it was supposed to be sunny. May have to pull the plug, but then that means Sunday and the closing day shitshow. Unless of course they are able to extend again with this cool down.

The biking has been sweet with seriously good trail conditions at least.

16AF8C93-2337-4707-B26D-5B836D09F8F7.jpeg 082A3E9E-2A53-4B40-8EA9-85F7B0ED17C1.jpeg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
On the Deathwish:

I ran into a college and National Team moguls coach in line this Sunday, first chair, who was on a pair of Moment PB&J skis (like Bibbys only narrower). We got to talking, and it turned out he was also a pro for Moment, maybe even being paid. He'd skied almost all the Moment skis - in fact, owned many of them free. I asked him what his favorite was, and he said the Deathwish, except in a short length - 174 and even 165 (specially made for him). That was because he was a bumper, with a pro's zipperline style everywhere. (And also, he was a medium-sized guy, not big.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online