• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I have assumed that the fatality is what prompted the long term wet slab study at A-Basin, but this paper was presented in 2010 with a problem statement that the paper says was mentioned 6 years prior.

This is a good read for anybody who hasn’t seen it before, with some particular emphasis in backcountry comparison noting that early season avalanche control measures persist in effectiveness into the melt season.

http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/ISSW_O-031.pdf

In conclusion, the problem statement mentioned 6 years ago reads: Although rare, crack propagation or wet slab avalanches which involve the entire snowpack are most likely to occur at the onset of sustained snowmelt. Based on findings presented here, we fail to reject this statement..

The problem statement is particularly concerning for backcountry skiers. As @Ken_R noted, there is a lot of snow with what appears to be winter conditions, but the first major diurnal water infiltrations of the melt season correlate to the greatest risk of web slab release.

This is exactly what is going to happen this week with temps generally not dropping below freezing at night, warm daytime temps, and full mid-May sun.
Interesting article @nay, including that the primary source of melt is solar radiation. BTW, 6 years including the year of publication would be 2005, the year of the avalanche death, which was a transformative event for A-Basin.

Mike

Reactions: nay

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is going to be an interesting week in the backcountry. Dangerous with the lack of hard freeze over night. Due to this coming up, some friends and I went and hit Silver Couloir on Buffalo Mountain yesterday. Skin track was icy on the way up which was bad for me since I didn't have ski crampons...

Decent was really spectacular despite the snow being interesting in spots. Should have taken more pictures because its beautiful! Be careful on this one, the approach (especially near and above treeline) and descent (literally all of it) are avalanche terrain. Not surprising it made the 50 Classic Ski Descents of North America. 20190512_100936.jpg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Still firing in Engelberg and Andermatt per the fellow who hosted me over there. If you're in Zurich, you're a short train ride away.

Looks like Andermatt closes this weekend and Engelberg the following, so I’ll miss the season end. That would have been cool, especially since I’ll miss a lot of this late season.

Zermatt has summer glacier skiing, but that 3.5 hours so I’m just gonna have to get an extended winter trip arranged over a long weekend.

James

Out There
Instructor

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@tball not sure how it worked out for you going to the Basin later in the a.m. but if you rolled into MJ too late you would have either parked somewhere along the road or been circling like many were both days. Parking was like any busy day if you got there mid morning. Snow was still pretty good up high. Down lower it got pretty soft as the morning progressed. Typical spring stuff.

nice up here

IMG_0155.JPG

and even down here

IMG_0154.JPG

bumps in the trees were soft

IMG_0156.JPG

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Looks like Pali terrain closed in the best of this week, except for the east side stuff like Challenger. East Wall is still open, though, and we are entering a week of cooler and wetter weather. Sounds like good news for getting deeper into June.

4E7E8571-DFC4-4E78-B1F0-0EF3AEAE8961.jpeg

Also heard Aspen Mountain is reopening for Memorial Day weekend.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
This AM at the Boat. the snow line made it all the way down to 6800'

e12dbfe2-9359-4b93-a8ce-b5e461b681d1

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A-basin closed the steep terrain for wet slab avalanche risk. Breck didn't.

Just noting the difference.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yea, check it out.

176D8851-156E-4B95-BC63-05B5FEEEDBEE.jpeg

I’m gonna be in Cali, though, so that’s just base reset bonus for me.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yea, check it out.

View attachment 74240

I’m gonna be in Cali, though, so that’s just base reset bonus for me.

So Tuesdays In The Snow it is... you think the masses are gonna chase? or are they tired yet of chasing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor