• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
although I’ll be in Switzerland so maybe I should be doing some research :huh:?

Still firing in Engelberg and Andermatt per the fellow who hosted me over there. If you're in Zurich, you're a short train ride away.

Reactions: nay

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
MJ has been like a ghost town, so few skiers. And Panorama/Sunny Side have been open, in addition to MJ runs. (Last there Monday.) Even during the powder last week, no one was there.

(But this week's current cycle doesn't seem to have hit WP/MJ, any more than it has A Basin.)

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
MJ has been like a ghost town, so few skiers. And Panorama/Sunny Side have been open, in addition to MJ runs. (Last there Monday.) Even during the powder last week, no one was there.

(But this week's current cycle doesn't seem to have hit WP/MJ, any more than it has A Basin.)

LL was indeed Deserted. @nay

Untracked powder run from the ridge to the bottom after a little bit of work. Worth it.

Got to the lot at 11:15am. No traffic. No drama.

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5255.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

IMG_5256.JPG

IMG_5258.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Still firing in Engelberg and Andermatt per the fellow who hosted me over there. If you're in Zurich, you're a short train ride away.

I have a weekend stay, so I’m mentally packing my boots. Looking at potential closing dates over a beer sounds like a pleasurable evening activity...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I have a weekend stay, so I’m mentally packing my boots. Looking at potential closing dates over a beer sounds like a pleasurable evening activity...

Pack boots. If you go Eberg or Andermatt way PM for good shop/guide.

Reactions: nay

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe consider MJ? I will probably get there early and can let you know how parking looks.
Thanks, Mike but stuck with A-basin as I've got some free kids tickets we need to burn. Note for those with kids that A-basin gives two free lift tickets to kids, but you need to sign up online before like mid-Nov. Look for the deal on the A-basin website next fall.

I was really looking forward to some spring skiing. Not feeling too motivated to get up early and drag the kids around in the cold. We'll see. Maybe if A-basin had a bubble chair or chondola. ;)

A-basin automated forecast from NWS:

Tonight
A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 18. South southwest wind 8 to 10 mph. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Friday
Snow showers likely, mainly after noon. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. South southwest wind around 7 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-105.86986161768438&lat=39.63912601281035

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looks like Beaver Creek got a LOT of snow out of this. Funny to see VRi trying to get the Mtn ready for Summer Operations but the Weather is saying nooo. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 10.53.46 AM.png

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I think that's accurate. It's going to be an insane runoff season, especially with its delayed start and additional snow we keep seeing. Once it gets warm, it will be all time run-off levels. I know a few kayaker friends that are basically resigned to many standard fun rivers not being runnable until late in the season unless you've got big cajones.
Mostly it's that low due to last years horrific snow season and summer drought. It's not any lower now than it was at the end of last summer.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Land of The Giants looks Delish

From what I can tell, LoG was open yesterday and only the northern gate was closed. They shelled 3 times over there before opening...so that terrain was storm total skiing.

Was it the best of the season? No. Was it pure soft and releasable for a full drop from the traverse? Yes. With a powder ski. The carvers were hitting bottom, at least by sound.

Which is why so many people were hiking - it was really excellent up high with a smooth base and cream on top.

Excellent for May lift served for sure. I didn’t bother skiing anywhere else given how few people chased the goods with nearly full lots.

Here is Axel with rental boots and his mom’s Fatypus L5 skis (same as the M5 but in favorable pink) that I brought up for a tune.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online