• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
On the left, my parking space when I got back from the rec center. Um. (I parked somewhere I hope I won't get towed, and the plow guy said he'll call when he's done. 20190313_110835.jpg

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Getting baaaaad in Denver. Wind is picking up, almost a whiteout and roads are crap. Very wet snow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The storm is living up to the hype. :eek::eek::eek:

NUKING here in Denver WOW

Absolutely CRAZY wind...

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
11:30 am and it's bombing and cycloning in Denver.

Good thing they closed the schools, and good on the NWS for calling it correctly. Pretty funny trying to have a conference call when everyone is dropping off because their power is flickering. Bummer it's a snow day and too miserable outside to go sledding for the kiddos.

Looks like it's happening in the high country:

loveland.jpg

copper.jpg

I hope everyone stays safe. Avalanche warning from CAIC:

Backcountry avalanche conditions are very dangerous. Avoid crossing or traveling below backcountry avalanche terrain and other steep slopes. Natural and human triggered avalanches are very likely. They could break hundreds or thousands of feet wide and run to valley floors. Avalanches are impacting lower elevations and locations that have not seen avalanche activity in recent years. A potent storm with wet, heavy snow and strong shifting winds will keep avalanche conditions dangerous.
https://avalanche.state.co.us/forecasts/watches-and-warnings/

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I have been through several “bomb cyclones” living in VT. Every one was spoken of as an extremely strong Nor’easter.

If you never lived in New England and are only familiar with a Nor’easter from TV news, then you only see the bad ones. They end up being “bomb cyclones” or other hurricane type low pressure systems that move into the region already that “strong.”

The event is rare for the interior USA by far. Lots of weather related reasons for that. But if you picture what you recall as a bad Nor’easter, this is that type of system.

Yes, at the level of low pressure it’s like a strong nor’easter, although the wind speeds are probably higher due to the terrain effects and open space here.

One of mine had a doc appt and I love this stuff, so here you go.

60D6CB7C-2797-4B64-99B0-C355DDC97C39.jpeg 9A6626F1-4521-44B5-A34C-29FC746C5E09.jpeg

T is of course a badass.

E5816A2E-72A4-441A-8CA1-B74A23568F32.jpeg
3774C6CF-66DF-4F14-B187-87C5799460D8.jpeg

My power is flickering. Given how little is above ground here, this isn’t looking good ogsmile.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Even up in Lafayette it is now nuking and winds are steady above 30mph and gusting to near 50mph. I'm seeing power flickers as well. I have charged all devices and back up batteries. Turning to my study afternoon now and will start with the online stuff I want to do so that if power is lost I can turn to the books.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Yes, at the level of low pressure it’s like a strong nor’easter, although the wind speeds are probably higher due to the terrain effects and open space here.

One of mine had a doc appt and I love this stuff, so here you go.

View attachment 68351 View attachment 68352

T is of course a badass.

View attachment 68353
View attachment 68354

My power is flickering. Given how little is above ground here, this isn’t looking good ogsmile.

Power is Out here in Littleton, the wind and snow is intense

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My two mile drive to the Breck rec center this morning was a little slippy-slidey - it's still warm, so you get that soapy effect. But the stop light for my neighbor hood is at the top of a short, not terribly steep incline that nevertheless can be tricky. I had to drive around an Escalade that couldn't get traction. Did not think to check license plates or tires. (My Outback w X-Ices didn't have an issue.)

No power issues so far or noticeable wind. Just dumping.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Even in CO Springs, where all but the major power lines are buried in this part of town, we have had power flicker.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone have interest in some Cooper (not Copper) tickets? I have 4 I won't be using.

Free for the asking. Available in person in Breck or by USPS.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Power is Out here in Littleton, the wind and snow is intense

Yep, power is intermittent at my place too. It's making getting any work done a little more fun than normal. I just got off a 2 hour conference call that we had to restart multiple times. Fun times... :)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Those looking to visit Loveland tomorrow:

Ski Hooky Day with $25 lift tickets
https://skiloveland.com/events/?mc_id=706

Blessing for some, a curse for others.

We will be up at Loveland on Friday, using the last days of our 4 pack.

I'm debating between Thursday or Friday at LL. Of course I could always attempt both, but I think my wife would be less than happy with me. I'm wondering just how many people are actually up at LL today (and what these winds are doing up there).

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm debating between Thursday or Friday at LL. Of course I could always attempt both, but I think my wife would be less than happy with me. I'm wondering just how many people are actually up at LL today (and what these winds are doing up there).
PM me

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Those thinking about Copper or maybe anywhere in the mountains tomorrow should probably pay attention to CDOT and your news channel. You may or may not make it. Avalanche mitigation will be happening. The current road closures are many.

@nay I see I25 is closed from the Academy to C470. 500 stranded motorist in the Springs. They have opened the airport as a shelter??? AND someone had to be rescued off the Incline!?!?! Are you kidding me? What were they thinking?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Those thinking about Copper or maybe anywhere in the mountains tomorrow should probably pay attention to CDOT and your news channel. You may or may not make it. Avalanche mitigation will be happening. The current road closures are many.

@nay I see I25 is closed from the Academy to C470. 500 stranded motorist in the Springs. They have opened the airport as a shelter??? AND someone had to be rescued off the Incline!?!?! Are you kidding me? What were they thinking?

:eek::eek::eek:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Based on the latest news reports and the web cams at LL, I'm going to venture a guess that not much of LL got skied today. All the road closures today and the wind will probably make Thursday the day to get to the Luv.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Are they? I've been watching the traffic from Longmont to Breck and vv all day, and it's looked pretty clear most of the afternoon. When it looked bad, it was going east - west had a half hour delay at the worst I've noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January