• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The night I'm supposed to be flying out for a 2-week ski trip we will be under blizzard warning. And British Airways wants nothing to do with rebooking at this point.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Bombogenesis and spring break...sounds like a perfect storm. :rolleyes:

I’m thinking I’ll take up a parking spot, sit in the lodge, and have one of those famous bombogenesis sandwiches and do some shots.

Maybe tomorrow is the right day to ski? The insane winds will be in Denver and out east.

I’m still going on Thursday. I’m planning on leaving at midnight to avoid traffic.

Also, not to be forgotten:

14578010-879C-4F44-A1BF-77C76FA41069.png

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's 61 degrees outside and most of the Front Range school districts have announced schools will be closed tomorrow. Never seen this before.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just arrived in Breck. Came to my senses and realized I could juggle my schedule, drive up tonight, take care of everything tomorrow, ski Thursday morning as planned. No traffic, no weather. Easy breezy.

The snow is just starting to come down in big, wet flakes. I predict nicely "right side up" snow.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went out for a run before the madness

Me too. Just finished 5 in 61F weather. Tshirt and shorts.

With a flight likely canceled due to blizzard tomorrow. Bizarro world.

Me three. Although I wouldn’t call it bizarro world, it’s pretty typical Colorado weather. Except the bomb cyclone part.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wait, I totally missed something. What is a "bomb cyclone" exactly?

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

A low pressure center (storm) that has a 24 millibar drop in pressure in 24 hours. Same as with hurricanes that get really strong suddenly as their pressures drop rapidly.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Here’s more from NWS. They are saying that the potential wind speeds are a once in a 30 year event.

Whatever the snow amounts will be, the big concern is the amount of wind in combination with the snow. 24 hour pressure falls reach bomb status by 21Z tomorrow, just an indicator of the intensity of this surface low pressure system. Checking the NAEFS 30 year return intervals on 700 mb wind speeds (70-75knots) we are near 30 year return intervals (something that occurs once every 30 years). Thus, we`re looking at an extreme event, with gusts to 60-75 mph expected. Forecast soundings would also back those gusts up, with any mixing from snowfall bringing that momentum transfer to the ground.

ALL IN ALL, A VERY DANGEROUS BLIZZARD is shaping up for areas just east of I-25 Wednesday afternoon into Wednesday evening. We`ll continue to closely monitor the potential west of I-25. Don`t travel if you don`t have to! Travel conditions may change very rapidly Wednesday morning into Wednesday afternoon, with road closures, power outages, and zero visibility in these powerful winds.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
woke up to more than 3" on our patio. we were supposed to get 1/2" all day here in the valley. Hmmm..... Roof tape is on.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
It’s a Nor’easter.

When we lived in New England these happened a few times a year. Not every Nor’easter would strengthen this way, but it seemed to happen often enough. Not all rectangles are squares kind of thing.

Using the fancy technical terms did seem to be a marketing thing, just like the weather Channel making every snowstorm into a named winter event.

At least in VT a system like this could dump way more snow than expected. Without the North Atlantic to add moisture to the system, it probably won’t work the same here in CO.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It has been pouring rain here in Lafayette for a couple of hours. If it were cold enough for it to be snow I’m guessing we’d get buried in this storm.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Season. Steeps, trees (not crazy tight), alpine, good snow (north facing chalk, reliable powder, less crowded), interesting, fun terrain.

Basically trying to figure out whether to go with Ikon Base vs Epic Local, with an ABasin midweek.
Personally, I think Breck is the easy answer from a terrain point of view. Breck has probably the best steeps and tree skiing. The steeps off of the hikes on peaks 8 and 6 are arguably the best in Summit, Eagle, and Grand County. And without hikes, you've got the steeps on peak 7 and the front bowls as well as E chair on Peak 9. For trees, it's hard to beat the Windows and the Doors. But there's pockets all around the resort.

The issue is the number of people.

Mike

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
It’s a Nor’easter.

When we lived in New England these happened a few times a year. Not every Nor’easter would strengthen this way, but it seemed to happen often enough. Not all rectangles are squares kind of thing.

Using the fancy technical terms did seem to be a marketing thing, just like the weather Channel making every snowstorm into a named winter event.

At least in VT a system like this could dump way more snow than expected. Without the North Atlantic to add moisture to the system, it probably won’t work the same here in CO.
It's a bit more than that. Supposedly it is a drop in the pressure of more than 24 millibars in 24 hours. Here's an article on why this event may be historic.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Ol...19/03/13&entity=Ar02003&sk=9E5A8CC4&mode=text

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
It's a bit more than that. Supposedly it is a drop in the pressure of more than 24 millibars in 24 hours. Here's an article on why this event may be historic.

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODN/DenverPost/shared/ShowArticle.aspx?doc=TDP/2019/03/13&entity=Ar02003&sk=9E5A8CC4&mode=text
I have been through several “bomb cyclones” living in VT. Every one was spoken of as an extremely strong Nor’easter.

If you never lived in New England and are only familiar with a Nor’easter from TV news, then you only see the bad ones. They end up being “bomb cyclones” or other hurricane type low pressure systems that move into the region already that “strong.”

The event is rare for the interior USA by far. Lots of weather related reasons for that. But if you picture what you recall as a bad Nor’easter, this is that type of system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online