• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Back in Mammoth this week, my gut tells me they won't be closing at the end of the month, I think they will go at least 2 weeks into June.
Good call as Mammoth website now says "SHREDDING THROUGH JUNE 17. Top to Bottom, the Best Spring Conditions in the Country."

I may be there next Mon. and Tues. And since they will be open into mid-June, another trip is also possible.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good call as Mammoth website now says "SHREDDING THROUGH JUNE 17. Top to Bottom, the Best Spring Conditions in the Country."

I may be there next Mon. and Tues. And since they will be open into mid-June, another trip is also possible.
Yeah, I got their twitter notice:
MammothMountain‏Verified account@MammothMountain May 18
This just in! Mammoth will be open daily for skiing and riding until at LEAST June 17. Top-to-bottom conditions are killer and there's still a ton of time to get up here and get those late season turns in. Photo taken yesterday 5.17.

DdfNFLfVwAAabs_.jpg:large

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

May just have to check this out Tuesday- Wednesday.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I must wait a week to ski again, I'll be up starting Memorial Day through Friday. I skied Carson's last week, prolly for the first time since the late 80's, short but sweet. Is it just me, or does that rock look like it's suspended in mid-air? IMG_20180517_122024070.jpg

Tony

tseeb
Skier
IMG_5949.JPG
May just have to check this out Tuesday- Wednesday.
Sent you PM with my phone no. in case you are here tomorrow, but you may want to hold off as weather has interrupted the corn cycle. Bad visibility at top of lower lifts and on all of middle lifts. Top closed. Some new snow ~2 cm to carve up, but will get wetter as day warms up.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
And the rain this morning is a bonus......

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Rained most of last night , looks like more of the same today....
20180522_060612.jpg 20180522_060004.jpg

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Just a WiFi grab, back to the "ghetto " parking now

Tony

tseeb
Skier
And the rain this morning is a bonus......
You make it sound like a good thing.

I was hoping r--n was over last evening as it came down hard for a long time, but it woke me up about 3:15 hitting metal roof outside my motel room window. They report 1" new, but I think it will be a short ski day for me, then lunch at Whoa Nellie Deli and first return home in a long time via Tioga Pass which opened yesterday.

Also hoping visibility improves from yesterday (when chair 3 looked like picture below on my 2nd to last run ) enough to open 23.
5973Chair3@1249.JPG

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
The first hour and a half were great this morning, back to full rain, looks like it might break, looking at some sun from main right now.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
The first hour and a half were great
Great may be a little strong, but it did exceed my expectations. Do you work for Mammoth? Visibility early on Tuesday was much better than on Monday. Snow surface was also more consistent and very good on groomers. It was great to be able to see enough on chair 3 to make some tracks between top of chair and West Bowl (although soft snow in the bowl was not very good) and to be able to see and ski the edge of Center Bowl. Edited to add picture of my tracks I made (in middle) at top of 3 before 9 AM shortly before the wet fog. 5981MyTracksUnderChair3@854.JPG
The dense and very wet fog moved in about 9 and quickly turned to mixed precipitation at top of 1 and 2. After about 45 minutes of waiting out the r--n in the Mill while drying jacket and gloves in front of fireplace, I went out again with guy I'd met there. We found snow had gotten sticky on all runs we tried on chair 3. Harder packed runs, Broadway and Stump Alley, that had some salt in them were better. I thought left edge of Andy's was OK, but you needed to go fast to be mostly free from soft, wet snow. We also tried the soft bumps on Gravy Chute that were OK, but getting back to Broadway was a chore.

I quit before noon after 21 lift rides. It looked like it had cleared enough that 23 could have opened, but lift operator supervisor had earlier told me they had decided it would be closed for the day. I drove back to Bay Area via Tioga Pass with stops including Whoa Nellie Deli for carnitas tacos, Olmstead Point for the views, Yosemite Creek for a break, Stockton, where Appliance Graveyard had a part I needed. I also stopped SE of Livermore, at Altamont Brewing, to have a pint and get my growler filled with Maui Waui. I may try again for Spring skiing in Mammoth next month, but not if any weather is predicted.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, the words fog and rain should NEVER be used in association with Spring skiing.

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Top opened yesterday bout' noon, was a bit heavy & sloppy , much better today after last night's freeze.
Sun on top all day, a cloud kept circling on the bottom , kept the snow firm'ish for groomers
Good spring day.....

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Wednesday skied very well. Bit soggy from Tues rain. Today is excellent. No rain no fog.no ice either day. Both days are way better than my usual Squaw a week ago!

MMSA needs to show Squaw how to firm slopes (eg mt run with salt) Also how to keep trails open by moving lots of snow with “snow farming”. Seems like half the skiers here are from Tahoe area. Probably due to free spring skiing here if they bought next years Ikon pass early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online