• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I fell more today than I have all season. Who knew 3 to 4 feet of snow could be so difficult to ski? It was a blast though! I kept on picking up speed as I tried to keep a rhythm going on my turns. I enjoyed the sensation of lifting and pressing one foot or the other to turn. Like driving a stick shift.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They are bombing next to stump, skiers right.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm betting that there will be a whole lotta bombing today.

Chair 5 looks like it may take a while to open.

@socalgal please give us a first hand report when you can.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Today was :bestday::yahoo:!

The weather was excellent and the snow was EPIC.
20180304_083618.jpg

Highlights: Skied the Wall off of Broadway Express twice. First time tentative, second more aggressive. So fluffy. It was a good learning run, challenging but not overwhelming.
F8AED62F9A268B82E35B26D45E392DE9.jpg

Explored the back of Lincoln, Quicksilver, Haven’t the foggiest. All ungroomed and VERY deep.
20180304_095247.jpg 20180304_095225.jpg

Lower Log Chute has filled in nicely. Lots of little jumps and swoops.

Patrol didn’t open up the top till 12:45 so it got crowded at the bottom.
20180304_114923.jpg

We did one run off the top at the end of the day. I was tempted to try a new run, but we ended up sticking to Cornice. It was like a new run to me. SO MUCH SNOW. The top had a big (for most ppl, myself included) drop. And did I mention that it was chopped up and fluffy and deep? I found the easiest entry I could:
GOPR0388_1520214520515_high.JPG

From yesterday, I grabbed this photo from my gopro. We are thinking that the wind gust was from the avalanche. It was a strong, sideways blast through the trees. At the time, we were skiing down near Roller Coaster. The timing works to be about right.
GOPR0390_1520214511318_high.JPG

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @socalgal. Great photos. Tomorrow we get the leftovers. I'm sure even 5 is skied out unless they closed off access from 3.

Those liftlines are scary! Unfortunately I hear that a lot of people forgot their way home today, and will be riding with us tomorrow. We plan to be here all week.

I've heard that the avalanche was accompanied by a large wind gust. It's good that you weren't any closer.

It's exciting that the whole mountain is finally skiable.

Glad you had such a great day.

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
We waited 3 hours at Mid yesterday for the Top to open. Being the 3rd one down P1 was likely the best run I have ever had at Mammoth. It was over the head face shots all the way down the steep part. Super light, blower pow is not the norm at Mammoth, but wow yesterday's few runs were insane. Went out to the super deep on the Tail after the 1 run down the Noids. I really hope no one fell in a tree well out there. Crazy deep and really rather dangerous, but wow was it fun! Still have a smile on my face. Kids were asking us on the way home why we can't live in Mammoth...

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Decent fracture line from avi, From climax sign line, all the way to under huevos , 8' -10'
Great snow everywhere , most of the crowds have left. Blue bird .
R & T.........

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey guys what do you all think about the Ikon pass ??
Looks about a 100.00 bucks more than a Mammoth pass but the idea of a free steamboat/ Aspen road trip and staying in cheap hotels sounds pretty doable and exciting , tree lined runs and soft Colorado snow !!!

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We ended up buying this year's pass late and paid full retail.:doh: So WHEN we buy the Ikon, it will be cheaper than what we paid before. And yes, the road trips are enticing!

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
So after looking some more at it , we’re going to go with the base Icon pass for $599.00 .
Yes there are 10 blackouts but 6 are over Xmas and the other 4 are holiday weekends, both times we don’t go up anyway.
The other resorts are the same but only 5 days at each but again for us there’s no way we would do more than 5 anyway on the road trip we’re looking at.
Seems like a really good deal.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
The Ikon Pass will save me a few hundred bucks a season when we go to Tahoe for our timeshare week each February. I sure wish Kirkwood was on the Ikon Pass. O well, I like skiing AM and Squaw is fun if they have all the lifts running ;)

TS
MountainMonster

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 8.27.44 AM.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug and I will be making an overnight trip to Mammoth, skiing Monday and Tuesday.
I love Mammoth and feel like I need to get down there more often.
Repeat. See any of you Monday and/or Tuesday?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We're here for a week:wave:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Took a run down Dropout after everybody else and had to retire to the bar, I made my turns of course but at a heavy price , burning lungs , unable to breathe and quivering thighs with the wife calling me a pussy to top it off, ,,,,it sucks getting older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online