• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Zwift?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used trainerroad a bunch and now giving Rouvy a try.

I think it depends what you want to do with it. I haven't used Zwift as I'm not that interested in the virtual riding. It's the structured workouts, ftp test and training plans that are more interesting to me.

What's your use case?

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Hard to say. Winter is pushing on and I'm getting antsy to do some "riding". I do the gym during the week but was thinking of supplementing this. I've used trainers and rollers in the past, wondering if the virtual thing adds to your workout of is it just watching Netflix or old Tour videos basically, ie entertainment value. We have another boy on the way this summer as well so workout time will be at a premium next winter..although I may be taking 8 months off for paternity leave and the gym would be nearly impossible I would guess. So it may get some good use next winter.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've used trainers and rollers in the past, wondering if the virtual thing adds to your workout of is it just watching Netflix or old Tour videos basically, ie entertainment value.
I think the key is whatever is going to get you motivated to get on the bike. Congrats! Once we had kiddos workouts at home were critical for me as I rarely make it to the gym.

The virtual rides motivate some people by virtually racing against others and/or seeing new scenery. Neither really interest me.

I like structured workouts combined with TV or Netflix. With a smart trainer, the computer automatically sets the correct resistance for the prescribed workout so you don't need to think about it and can just watch your show.

With a structured program every few months you do a fitness test so your power output is tailored towards your individual Fitness level. That combined with a well-designed training program is probably the best way to increase your performance, if you really care. For health and fitness just getting on the bike Is the most important step!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I like structured workouts combined with TV or Netflix. With a smart trainer, the computer automatically sets the correct resistance for the prescribed workout so you don't need to think about it and can just watch your show.

Martial arts movies are usually pretty good tempo wise. But I could never keep my eyes on a TV during sprint blocks.

On the upside, there is no need for the trainer queen to be a full bike.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
It's just health and fitness at this point. The smart trainer might do it..it's more the variable workout, not just spinning. Easy to get lulled into an easy workout by yourself. Wanted something to keep me honest. And measurable. Still looking at Cycleops trainers..swore I wouldn't spend money on a trainer again..darn!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Martial arts movies are usually pretty good tempo wise. But I could never keep my eyes on a TV during sprint blocks.
There's always rewind! Good chance you're working too hard anyway!

A lot of cyclists don't work hard enough. A lot of cyclists work too hard.

The training plans I've done on TrainerRoad have do you do a lot of "Sweet Spot" training. Here's a video I dug up that gives an idea how it works:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's just health and fitness at this point. The smart trainer might do it..it's more the variable workout, not just spinning. Easy to get lulled into an easy workout by yourself. Wanted something to keep me honest. And measurable. Still looking at Cycleops trainers..swore I wouldn't spend money on a trainer again..darn!
Good luck, and welcome to analysis paralysis!

DC Rainmaker has some great guides and reviews for both trainers and apps. Trainers:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/annual-trainer-recommendations.html

Training apps including Zwift, TR, Sufferfest and a bunch of others:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Nope. For the cost of a couple of high-end tires you can have complete physiological lab work done on a bike erg. Use that as your baseline. Various methods for determining training zones w / o a lab are all flawed, and will only tell pat of the story.

Our winter has sucked for skiing. Great for training on the bike. Once winter get's underway (if?) I run, fat bike, XC ski (which does wonders for alpine skiing), and / or head to AZ with the Durango crew to train.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@scott43 one of the guys at my local bike shop lost 40 lbs last winter using a trainer and zwift. He at one time was a good racer and injuries caused him to lose his fitness. The virtual reality helped him mentally. I’m looking at getting it myself this winter to try and get back into shape. Skiing a little hill does nothing for my fitness. I believe he used the tacx trainer.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For general health and wellness a small noridtrack bike will fit in your TV room so you're not ditching your familyl to ride the bike. I got my older digital model for something like $125 on craigslist. I can see how a virtual model would be good for actual training.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

Scott - my prescription this winter is an average of 18 hours on the bike, or Nordic skiing, or whatever, at low intensity. I can't imagine doing that kin=d of mileage on a trainer. During good weather (which we've had a lot of in SW CO) I am on the bike. =When the weather has been manke I'm up high touring, running, fat biking - whatever.

I was raised in Bflo and know that weather scene. I was super competitive on the bike then - even without fat bikes, 'cross bikes - whatever. There were few winters when I couldn't ride. Our customers like Zwift. I like being outside, even if the weather is sporty.

definitely look into physiological testing. Our local college has a physiology lab and that's where I have mine done. They also do testing for a number of world champions, major tour riders / national champions. When you have those real numbers to work with it provides clarity for why you are going out and riding when it is shitty out.

Enjoy.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Scott - my prescription this winter is an average of 18 hours on the bike, or Nordic skiing, or whatever, at low intensity. I can't imagine doing that kin=d of mileage on a trainer. During good weather (which we've had a lot of in SW CO) I am on the bike. =When the weather has been manke I'm up high touring, running, fat biking - whatever..

*grin* I've been subtly nudging him to build up an all-weather semi-klunker, now the subtlety stops :P

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
So I got a can of baked beans for Christmas..no sign of the GT3 or the Zwift trainer... :huh::eek::(

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Scott - my prescription this winter is an average of 18 hours on the bike, or Nordic skiing, or whatever, at low intensity. I can't imagine doing that kin=d of mileage on a trainer. During good weather (which we've had a lot of in SW CO) I am on the bike. =When the weather has been manke I'm up high touring, running, fat biking - whatever.

I was raised in Bflo and know that weather scene. I was super competitive on the bike then - even without fat bikes, 'cross bikes - whatever. There were few winters when I couldn't ride. Our customers like Zwift. I like being outside, even if the weather is sporty.

definitely look into physiological testing. Our local college has a physiology lab and that's where I have mine done. They also do testing for a number of world champions, major tour riders / national champions. When you have those real numbers to work with it provides clarity for why you are going out and riding when it is shitty out.

Enjoy.
I think you are an exception spending that much time on the bike outside through the winter. It's really tough for most folks. With the short days, I'm only able to get outside on the weekends, and then only when I'm not skiing.

Indoor training is a game changer for me. Riding indoors 45 minutes three time per week will double or triple my cycling volume. And, with structured workouts on a smart trainer in erg mode, 45 minutes is worth at least an hour outside because the workouts are precise and based on a percentage of FTP.

While the FTP test isn't as accurate as in a lab, it's more testing than I've done previously, and it can be repeated often. By repeating the FTP test, the target wattage in your workouts automatically adjusts as you gain fitness.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I think you are an exception spending that much time on the bike outside through the winter. It's really tough for most folks. With the short days, I'm only able to get outside on the weekends, and then only when I'm not skiing.

18 is hard - but 10-12 should be readily doable without killing the weekend.

with structured workouts on a smart trainer in erg mode, 45 minutes is worth at least an hour outside because the workouts are precise and based on a percentage of FTP.

I agree with the rest of your post and I think a combination of indoor structure and outdoor volume might be right for OP.

Sponsor

Staff online