• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Zwift?

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Peloton users have to manually adjust resistance.
Thanks. Is there a true power meter in a Peloton? Or, at least good virtual power?

How do you show you are the hardest working in a class? Is it Watts/KG? How much cheating is there like in Zwift (I hear)? Inquiring bike geeks want to know!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Thanks. Is there a true power meter in a Peloton? Or, at least good virtual power?

How do you show you are the hardest working in a class? Is it Watts/KG? How much cheating is there like in Zwift (I hear)? Inquiring bike geeks want to know!

Not sure. But the Peloton definitely hits a different market than the smart trainer. Most of my customers with Peloton are the less serious riders. Many of them share the Peloton with their spouse or whole family. You never hear that from a smart trainer user.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That being said, many of our top riders - which is to say some of the top in the world - spend a lot of time cross-training in winter. It could be skate skiing, resistance training (with one elite group just doing CrossFit),.

Hey, tell me about those Assault Bikes CrossFit types seem to worship. What are typical power numbers for a non-'cycling' CrossFitter?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Its pretty simple really, if you have a powermeter - look at your avg watts on a 2 hour group ride vs. 1 hour interval inside workout. Unless you were on the front hammering the whole time (which really makes it a solo ride for you + some wheel suckers behind you, right?) or its super structured and curated - the one hour structured intervals are more effective for building fitness. but outside is outside, in the air, light, etc. not watching a monitor, having to use other skills ie. balancing, holding a wheel, not overlapping, etc.

The exception is when you find a super fast hammerfest outside ride or you regularly ride with people faster and you get dropped from time to time - then you get both.

Hey, tell me about those Assault Bikes CrossFit types seem to worship. What are typical power numbers for a non-'cycling' CrossFitter?

No idea on the Assault Bikes. Not sure if our CrossFit gym uses them. We have a complete home gym. My wife is a full-time trainer of 30 years and this is where she trains clients.

Based on what I have seen in he CrossFit Games those athletes churn out impressive numbers. However if you can lay down 1,000 watts for X amount of time and weigh 205, or can lay down 1,000 watts and weigh 160.... Watt output is also only one factor to race success.
110-Engine-Creek-Trail-high-res-3.jpg

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Watched a podcast with Lance Armstrong and current Special Forces guy Tim Kennedy. They did a cross-fit workout then hit the bike. Apparently Tim glanced over and Lance was producing double his watts on the bike. What do you figure Lance was doing? 400w? 600?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Watched a podcast with Lance Armstrong and current Special Forces guy Tim Kennedy. They did a cross-fit workout then hit the bike. Apparently Tim glanced over and Lance was producing double his watts on the bike. What do you figure Lance was doing? 400w? 600?

Steady? Guessing 400 something, maybe up to 450 475.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I figure steady 375-400. Froome did 420 for Alpe d'Huez . That's 45 mins but at the end of a long day. So maybe steady 200-220 for cross fit dude?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I figure steady 375-400. Froome did 420 for Alpe d'Huez . That's 45 mins but at the end of a long day. So maybe steady 200-220 for cross fit dude?

I'm thinking that LA now is a fair bit bigger than he was, 450 is not out of the picture for a fittish 190lbs at his age. And yeh, that is my wild guess for the other guy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That being said, many of our top riders - which is to say some of the top in the world - spend a lot of time cross-training in winter. It could be skate skiing, resistance training (with one elite group just doing CrossFit), snowshoeing, running, etc. The general consensus is that they come into the season not as honed, but they are more durable and fresher - both mentally and physically - throughout the season.

This. If we're talking top amateur racers, every dominant one I've ever known takes time off the bike in the winter for cross training (and fun).

I personally think that what I'll call the "data fixation" approach to training ignores how stale it make athletes, halfway through the season.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A good thing about "data fixation" is for us time-crunched athletes who want to focus on another sport like skiing for a chunk of the year is it can do wonders on much lower volume of training.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
This. If we're talking top amateur racers, every dominant one I've ever known takes time off the bike in the winter for cross training (and fun).

I personally think that what I'll call the "data fixation" approach to training ignores how stale it make athletes, halfway through the season.

Article:

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
A good thing about "data fixation" is for us time-crunched athletes who want to focus on another sport like skiing for a chunk of the year is it can do wonders on much lower volume of training.

Totally agree with both positions.

I was an Olympic sprint athlete in kayak. After retiring I was an Instructor Trainer Educator in WW (basically PSIA D-Team level). With those, and my Military credentials, I was invited on stupendous trips: first descents and guiding gigs in places like Mongolia and Patagonia.

One of my gigs was three consecutive launches on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. I ran raft support kayak trips for an outfitter. All day long I boated with guests, I pulled into camp, appetizers were on the table and someone handed me a cold beverage. Mid-way through trip three, every year, the last place that I wanted to be was in my boat. I'd rather been in a mall eating a Cinnabon.

Moral of the story: anything can become a job - even skiing, kayaking, fly fishing, or riding your bike. As Ned said in the article that I posted, he sees huge value in cross-training, but needs three days per week on the bike. What I edited out was his phrase, "At my age...". For younger athletes, maybe they can go into another domain for a few months with no loss of proficiency in the core domain. Likely, the answer is not that simple.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online