• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
What about renting a small RV or van? Rvs are in demand now but might be less so in winter, but then RVs are not so great on snowy roads unless we are talking about 4x4 truck campers or MB and Ford awd vans.
Yeah. I will look into this.

But mainly I'd been thinking about day trips here in northern New England, not holiday weeks away.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 108377
Saw this a few weeks ago.

WTF? Why not just put down the tailgate and deal with being six inches higher than ideal?

I will note that having a vehicle with enough space to boot up inside is really nice when the weather isn't cooperating. I've booted up in the back seat of my truck for backcountry skiing in Montana, with enough wind and blowing snow to rock the truck, and I didn't have to worry about getting any of that in my boots. Doing that in my 91 Golf would've been much more of a challenge.

Re: the comment on Maine not having the same weather that a lot of people are considering: yes, that's a definite issue. I'd also think that if we end up using our cars to warm up, that's a lot of otherwise unnecessary fuel being burnt just to generate heat in what may be the least-efficient way possible, plus all that moisture will mean needing to get the cabin warm before driving away (so your windows aren't fogged and/or iced).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I know that COVID-19 is worse than H1 N1 but what did people do in 2009?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
WTF? Why not just put down the tailgate and deal with being six inches higher than ideal?
I gotta tell ya as an old guy, putting my boots on is a bit of a procedure including getting the heel "seated" and buckling the boots is not done standing up but sitting at the proper height. No worries for me personally though, see my post #34.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I gotta tell ya as an old guy, putting my boots on is a bit of a procedure including getting the heel "seated" and buckling the boots is not done standing up but sitting at the proper height. No worries for me personally though, see my post #34.
That bench is still too high, though, and at that point I'd rather have a carpet-topped box that I pulled out and put down to bring the floor closer to the tailgate, and not have a large bench hanging off the back of the truck and making it that much harder to park.

I hear you on the procedure, although mine emphatically involves standing to buckle; if I'm not leaning forward when I do that, it doesn't go right. I do get nervous seating my heel in the back of the truck, or on the kitchen floor at home...don't really want to break anything in the process.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
C'mon man, doesn't this guy get points for ingenuity?
Actually, my thought was that it would have all the road grime, making it undesireable to sit on.
We used to take a few folding chairs because we didn't want to sit on the back of the car and get the grime on our ski clothes.
I know that COVID-19 is worse than H1 N1 but what did people do in 2009?

I covered my mouth when I coughed, took my vitamins and avoided those who sneezed or coughed.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Re: Your car is your baselodge

I'm sure this is part of the reason ski-in/out condos have joined TP on the list of "things you can't keep in stock" in 2020.

Yup. I doubt I'll actually make it to Aspen this year but I booked a ski I/O condo at Snowmass in case the Gathering happens.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup. I doubt I'll actually make it to Aspen this year but I booked a ski I/O condo at Snowmass in case the Gathering happens.
We're still planning on it.
Live your life as if all is normal but be prepared if its not.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Confess I am not looking forward to that AT ALL. To me skiing is a leisure activity, not a second job; I like the creature comforts. Been through this before, but all the folks saying operating from their cars is no big deal - 80% of you are from places with much friendlier climates. Less mud, less rain, less humidity, less parking-lot sheet ice, fewer below-zero days, and a LOT more effective sun. RV idea sure is appealing, but not in the budget, I'm afraid.

As I've read this thread I've kept thinking that the parking lot approach isn't nearly as easy as it is out west. 3 years ago I got a concussion that ended my season while walking in the ice rink that Sugarbush called a parking lot, and that was at night in regular shoes.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
As I've read this thread I've kept thinking that the parking lot approach isn't nearly as easy as it is out west. 3 years ago I got a concussion that ended my season while walking in the ice rink that Sugarbush called a parking lot, and that was at night in regular shoes.
My worst crash of the past season was in the parking lot....Well other than when the season itself crashed. :duck:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My worst crash of the past season was in the parking lot....Well other than when the season itself crashed. :duck:

At Tremblant i was walking in ski boots from our rented condo to the lift carrying a pair of skis in each hand pressing them over my head for exercise slipped and fell on my but for a huge yardsale right in a parking lot.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Glad I already have my Thermal Trekker. I imagine anyone who is considering one for this upcoming season might want to buy early.
I'm just going to put my boots on at home and wear them while driving there and back.. It's only 3 hours each way. What could possibly go wrong??

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Glad I already have my Thermal Trekker. I imagine anyone who is considering one for this upcoming season might want to buy early.
We just sold one in the Hall of Fame Auction. There are a few more going up for bid in a week or two.
Hall of Fame Auction

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I covered my mouth when I coughed, took my vitamins and avoided those who sneezed or coughed.
I was thinking did they use their car as a base lodge or did they just live their life as normal? I know I did.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Guy in Shorts tailgates almost every day at his primo parking spot at Killington with ski-on/ski-off access. And Killington has restrooms with outdoor access at Superstar and Needle's Eye base areas, so you don't have to enter the lodges. For us, the biggest issue will be the shuttle bus from our condo where we can eat all our meals if needed.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Guy in Shorts tailgates almost every day at his primo parking spot at Killington with ski-on/ski-off access. And Killington has restrooms with outdoor access at Superstar and Needle's Eye base areas, so you don't have to enter the lodges. For us, the biggest issue will be the shuttle bus from our condo where we can eat all our meals if needed.

Does he park between the Snowden triple and 6 pack? I was thinking that was a pretty good area to park for skiing right to your car if you can manage to get one of the spots right next to the trail.

Sponsor

Staff online