• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Agreed on the environment, but why aren't they good for the engine (assuming you get the startup timing right and it doesn't idle significantly past "warmed up")?

I also have to ask: why on earth drive 900 feet rather than walking?
I always heard it was bad to let an engine sit and idle longer than a stoplight.

I often use my car when I'm at work so I need it with me. And it's not a fun walk when it's windy and below zero when you have to be dressed up for work.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:doh:

Reactions: mdf

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Actually a idling engine doesn't burn fuel as efficiently as one that is under a load. Also your just putting more pollution in the air when idling. At the transportation companies I worked at there was a no idle policy when parked. Unless it was a certain temperature range.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm looking at new cars. One has a 1500W inverter as an option. What could I -reasonably- power with that?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
If you could get one.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm looking at new cars. One has a 1500W inverter as an option. What could I -reasonably- power with that?
I'd think running stuff off that without the car running would suck your battery dead pretty quick.. With the car running, why not just run the heat and D/C compatible stuff?

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn’t look at all the posts but are lockers going to be available ( Mammoth ) ??
Every 6th one maybe ??

Couchmaster

Putting on skis
Skier
Just musing here, adding a cover, couple of folding chairs and an induction or propane heater of some sort......:

book-mobile-bar-union-wine-co-wine-tasting-van-0914_vert.jpg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So I read through this entire thread and there hasn't been any discussion of a plan for handling the stuff that falls from the sky. What are skiers thinking about for a temporary roof? Of course there's the tailgate on the back of my SUV, but it sure won't provide much protection if there's any wind blowing. I think I can deal with the booting up at the car dance, but if snow is falling that's going to make things a heck of a lot more "interesting".
Okay, so I've almost always used my car as home base - lunch, extra water, clothes, layers, extra skis and poles. Not a big deal. My bag heated boots go on standing up, for leverage, right out of the warm bag, right after the car's turned off. Maximum warmth all around. Often when it's snowing heavily, depends on the wind direction, sort of, but generally, with the SUV back hatch lifted, that provides enough protection/cover from what's falling for putting on parka and boots. The wet ground is a partial problem at times then, so I bring a rolled up rug/mat (for below back door or back hatch), that gives boots and shoes something they won't slip on, and that my foot out of the boot won't get wet on if I happen to have to put it down on the ground. This works fine at subzero in a driving blizzard at, say, Loveland or A Basin, long before first chair, even in the dark.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn’t look at all the posts but are lockers going to be available ( Mammoth ) ??
Every 6th one maybe

Yes apparently - check the website also, but I gave up my seasonal locker at main last month, no longer cost effective for me. Mammoth called me at least 6 times asking if I was going to renew and extended the time to pay. When I cleaned it out there were a lot of other lockers that were either empty/ or had non renew tags. I understand that NO teams will have lockers this season either. That should free up a lot of traffic in the lodge between 8:30-9am. If you pick your day use area correctly, you could be booting up with very few people around.....

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I had a new thought. I'm :15 from my mountain. I use ZipFit liners in my boots and take them out, put my feet in, then put my feet in the shell with the liners already on. Doing this for a few years, first with Intuitions.

So I'll drive with the Zipfits on, the shells heated up in the hot bag, and kept warm on the 12VDC on the drive over. Then all I have to do is put my shells on in the parking lot.

Sponsor

Staff online