• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your car is your Baselodge

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You might be right. A shame they're absurdly expensive but it would be pretty great on those occasional mornings where my toes just turn into blocks of ice!

I have had issues with cold toes even with temps in the teens. I got a pair of the Lenz 5.0 heated socks with the toe caps and while the price was painful I cannot imagine skiing without them. Having those socks have translated into many more hours of skiing instead of sitting in the lodge. If you can swing it I really recommend them for anyone with cold feet issues.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed. I currently have two pair of the Lenz 1.0, and last year bought a pair of the 5.0. I’ll probably get another of the 5.0 this year.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Just found this. Go here for more specific info: https://cdllife.com/2014/idling-laws-state/
CDLLife-Idling-Laws-By-State-704x767.jpg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am now "mostly" retired, in possession of my first ever season pass, and looking forward to skiing more but with an eye on expenses - which wraps nicely into the car-as-a-baselodge discussion. Following several PugSki threads, I am looking forward to a return to my younger/poorer days when a brown bag lunch in the parking lot was the normal way to stretch the budget. Not to mention, in the past two seasons, I have experienced some of the most awful and way overpriced ski resort food in memory.

No van, but a pickup with shell, plan to bring a folding camp chair (thanks PugSkiers) and a camp stove to heat up soup/chili/coffee/tea/cocoa if needed. All dependent on weather of course.

As for indoor toilet facilities, I have no qualms about using them, most people are masked in the restrooms and a good hand washing afterward should thwart any remote chance of contact transfer.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought snow tires for the big van. Hadn't done it before, had KO2s and autosocks and chains to get through anything (well, anything that the 6-in. clearance allowed :P), but I anticipate (hope?) needing to use the van much more this season.

James

Out There
Instructor
You might want to check out heaters that run off your vehicle fuel.
There’s some that heat and circulate the engine coolant and some that just heat air to blow in the cabin.
They’re not cheap, probably 1k to $1500 with install. Some you can call to turn on, or program. The car or engine or both are warm in the am.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You might want to check out heaters that run off your vehicle fuel.
There’s some that heat and circulate the engine coolant and some that just heat air to blow in the cabin.
They’re not cheap, probably 1k to $1500 with install. Some you can call to turn on, or program. The car or engine or both are warm in the am.

I have a Wallas diesel stove/heater in the van. It's pretty nifty. Takes a little bit to get going, but does a good job.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
My only concern is my current vehicle takes about 15 minutes of driving before there is any warmth at all coming from the vents. That means way longer warm ups during the cold days especially if I'm parked a ways away. I think my bathroom break will become my warm up break too!

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
My only concern is my current vehicle takes about 15 minutes of driving before there is any warmth at all coming from the vents. That means way longer warm ups during the cold days especially if I'm parked a ways away. I think my bathroom break will become my warm up break too!
If you don't care about the climate impact and can park close enough or have an app for the remote starter, remote start it the run before you're going to take the break.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
No van, but a pickup with shell, plan to bring a folding camp chair (thanks PugSkiers) and a camp stove to heat up soup/chili/coffee/tea/cocoa if needed. All dependent on weather of course.

We're setting up our mr buddy heater and portable fire ring with a y-adapter and 15# tank to really enjoy the baselodge. We've also got the 6'x8' awning to pop out on days when our neighbor car leaves early.

I bought snow tires for the big van. Hadn't done it before, had KO2s and autosocks and chains to get through anything (well, anything that the 6-in. clearance allowed :P), but I anticipate (hope?) needing to use the van much more this season.

What'd you end up with? I'm in the same position -- considering either snows or carrying chains/autosocks more frequently.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

See, this is what I am really concerned about ... I mean, not concerned, but if cold people can't hang around in public lodge spaces, they will hang out on the toilet to warm up. It only makes sense. I learned this in Japan, because they have heated toilet seats, and I can't say that much feels better on a chilled body than a heated seat ....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Check out @Andy Mink's "Backseat Baselodge"

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
If you don't care about the climate impact and can park close enough or have an app for the remote starter, remote start it the run before you're going to take the break.
No remote start. Looking at dash plug-in heaters.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love those unpronounceable tires. They are the best snow tires we've ever had. Really disappointed when I was forced to replace front two tires far from home because pressure sensor blew and I didn't know we were running them too low. had to put on Blizzak. Those are good too. Had them twice before, but not as good as the Nokian. Never slipped once with those tires two winters of driving in snow and ice.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Love those unpronounceable tires. They are the best snow tires we've ever had. Really disappointed when I was forced to replace front two tires far from home because pressure sensor blew and I didn't know we were running them too low. had to put on Blizzak. Those are good too. Had them twice before, but not as good as the Nokian. Never slipped once with those tires two winters of driving in snow and ice.

I can pronounce it, but spelling it correctly was a chore!

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
No remote start. Looking at dash plug-in heaters.
Have you looked into getting a remote starter? Some are relatively easy to install and not particularly expensive (others not so much, depends a lot on the vehicle), and on super-cold days they are very, very nice to have.

Sponsor