• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Your bike is most likely slower than Ideal.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
That Klein probably came with a 120 or even 135mm stem back in the day (or paint matched one piece bar/stem combo if it was really cool). Even though the trend now is shorter stems, I wouldn't expect that bike to handle well with a teeny-tiny one. 100mm is probably just fine. And by just fine, I mean just fine for a 20 year old bike.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
if your Klein is a small its ETT is 22.6 which is fairly small. My ETT on both my bikes is 24.5 to 25 inches. a 100mm stem(but I bet its longer) adds another 3 inches to the TT lenght compared to what lenght stem I run.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
if your Klein is a small its ETT is 22.6 which is fairly small. My ETT on both my bikes is 24.5 to 25 inches. a 100mm stem(but I bet its longer) adds another 3 inches to the TT lenght compared to what lenght stem I run.
Center of Post to center of handlebars is 25.5. By no means is this ideal but it is still a fun and playful little rig. I would prefer a medium for myself but we share this.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah its due to the huge stem......

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I race and train on a Fuel EX 29er, and am also fortunate enough to have a Remedy 29er, which has a bit more travel. That is the bike that goes on "rocky" road trips to places like Moab and Gooseberry Mesa. For that application, I'm not sure I wouldn't like a 27.5+ bike like the new Fuel EX+ even more, simply due to smoothness.

But for now, given that I own both bikes, I am looking forward to trying what I'll call "almost +" with some new 29 x 2.55 Bontrager XR4 tires.

The link to this video was posted previously (https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=crmas&p=steve+peat+wheel+size+video) but it is worth repeating. I kind of hate watching videos, but this is very entertaining and educational. NONE of these very fast riders cared for the 27.5+ tires. As Tracey Mosely notes "for me, faster is fun, so I stick with the 29er" -- on which she's won three Enduro World Series titles.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
how long is stem on your klien? No way I could fit a stock L trance but no way I would want a M with a 100mm stem either.

Not sure, about 100mm but Klein hard tails are inherently long.

That Klein probably came with a 120 or even 135mm stem back in the day (or paint matched one piece bar/stem combo if it was really cool). Even though the trend now is shorter stems, I wouldn't expect that bike to handle well with a teeny-tiny one. 100mm is probably just fine. And by just fine, I mean just fine for a 20 year old bike.

When I did the SS build I got a new stem from @Mike Thomas when he was at his previous shop. Its a Thomson, and I also swapped out the handle bars for RaceFace Next SL, which also changed the position a bit because the handlebars and stem weren't a good fit, and I wanted to go lighter. I was trying to get the Attitude below 20 Lbs, which I almost did. I think it was at 20.8 or something like that. (It started at 28.6)
Original set up. Bontrager Stem and bars. comp II 15* 2014 T5
1930326_60658285017_4224_n.jpg

10400603_61073920017_9002_n.jpg

We'll get some current photos
Here is a Facebook album with the original photos of the bike before and after the SS transition. Not sure why I don't have any after the finished project.

Sponsor

Staff online