• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Hey, so stupid question, what is a Strava for XC skiing?

scott43

Skier
Strava is an online platform/app that allows you collect data on your "ride" (ski workout..) and upload it to the web to compare to other people..or to keep track for yourself. Same as bikes..they only recently incorporated skiing though. I've never used it for that personally...my riding stats are depressing enough.. :(

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
No, I mean is there an app like Strava that is for XC skiing?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
@Erik Timmerman , let's take @KevinF out on the trails and make an afternoon of it. I promise I will not sic "Fifty K Wendy" on you.
Days are getting longer Tony. It would be pretty easy to do that after real skiing.

I’m pretty much going to be at Stowe each weekend until the NEG. Maybe something in April in NH, as I know Stowe is a long haul from Maine. How late into the year do XC centers stay open?

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
@Erik Timmerman try hitting record and then the icon right above START - it shows a shoe for running to me, might be different depending on what yours is set for. That should bring up a list of options?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So... you’re not entering the Derby this year? ;)

I did :)

My first fall season in Minnesota, my wife gave me skate skis for my birthday (I’d never skied on anything before).
So, we signed up for the Amrican Birkebeiner (50, very hilly km’s) race later that season.:doh:

The first time out in early December, I couldn’t go more that a few hundred yards without stopping for a break, not even trying to go fast.
Those 50 km’s in February started to look pretty scary :eek:

But, in the end, we did it. Had to double pole the middle ~10km, because my legs were cramping so bad, and my time and form was horrible, but we made it to the finish.

And remember, as the famous saying goes:
”it doesn’t get easier, you just go faster”

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it noticeably different than skating on downhill skis? Like if someone skates around in the flat areas while downhill skiing is that going to transfer reasonably, or are we going to be falling and struggling like in the OP?
Yes. ;)

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I did :)
my first fall in Minnesota, my wife gave me skate skis for my birthday (I’d never skied on anything before).
So, we signed up for the Amrican Birkebeiner (50, very hilly km’s) race later that season.:doh:

The first time out in early December, I couldn’t go more that a few hundred yards without stopping for a break, not even trying to go fast.
Those 50 km’s in February started to look pretty scary :eek:

But, in the end, we did it. Had to double pole the middle ~10km, because my legs were cramping so bad, and my time and form was horrible, but we made it to the finish.

And remember, as the famous saying goes:
”it doesn’t get easier, you just go faster”

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be fun? :eek::rolleyes:

The Stowe derby is a race from (close to) the top of the ski area down one of the ski trails (on XC gear!) onto the recreation path which leads you eight or nine miles back to town.

A hairpin turn on the ski trail is known as "Carnage Corner". There's always patrol stationed there to assist those who crash off into the woods.

The winners do it remarkably fast; 30 minutes or so from the top of the mountain all the way to town. :geek:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Aha @KevinF , I see! Looks, hum, exciting!
The Birkie has a similar corner. Bobblehead hill. No patrol but local slednecks will ride in and sit at the bottom on their machines, and hold up score cards for the best crashes:cool:

Your first time, you start in the last wave, meaning a few thousand people have been snow plowing their way down the hill before you get there.
So, it looks like a snow tubing hill, but with ice lanes, separated by 1 foot high snow ridges.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No, I mean is there an app like Strava that is for XC skiing?

Sure, it's called 'Strava'.

There is a sport select feature or you can use your Garmin/Wahoo and just edit it post. The only downside is - there are very few user defined segments or leaderboards. No segments from Ragged Mountain to Whitaker Woods is just WTF?

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 12.27.59 PM.png

To get to the sport selection page, just go to "Record" and then click on the sport icon in the lower middle of your screen - it should be showing a bike for you.

You should get this:
Screenshot_20200221-123815.jpg

There was a Salomon nordic challenge in Feb - see if it's still on, ~90km IIRC.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online