Wanted To Buy WTB: Mogul/bump/freestyle skis (used)

Discussion in 'Phil's Garage Sale and Ski Swap' started by CS2-6, Sep 14, 2018.

1. CS2-6

CS2-6 Booting up Skier

Come on... you know mogul skiing is just soooo 90s. Everybody is either into gettin' GNAR-POW or that Ski Ballet you park rats are doing these days, with your greasy noses and poppin' air. I can help you out: just give me those horribly uncool skinny straight things you've got collecting dust in the closet; I'll even give you cash in return.

This would be a second ski in my quiver for me, so I'm looking for really cheap (not charity, but nearly). Would pick up if in TX, New Mexico, or Colorado.

Looking for something on the softer side of the mogul ski spectrum, something like the Dynastar Twisters, 4FRNT Originators, or K2 244/Mambas. But I'd consider something in the medium range of stiffness (like the Hart F-17s).

168-178cm in length. Don't have to have bindings included.

2. Thread Starter
    TS
    CS2-6

CS2-6 Booting up Skier

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    CS2-6

CS2-6 Booting up Skier

Anybody know how stiff/soft Hart F17 Strikers are? They are a little (77mm) wider in order to be "more versatile", so I'm wondering if they're also more flexible than the classics.

4. Dwight

Dwight Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid Admin Moderator

Wendy and tball like this.
  5. LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet Out on the slopes Instructor

That website suffers a bit from translation woes.
    For instance, of one of their models SRNSX (Slow Ride Nature Soft Cross) (I wondered what "Slow Ride" meant so I took a look) it says:

With the Soft Flex NSX, carving depends largely on the skis light weight and by eliminating unnecessary gripping of the snow surface, they come smoothly out of the turn.

The SRNSX is great for smooth gliding, as well as carving and suitable for any technique.

In addition, these all mountain adult skis are suitable for any surface - from deep snow powder, chop, crud and flats.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

6. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

The Striker is not a mogul ski but an all mountain ski, it is the same ski as the Blossom White Out.

Brian Finch likes this.
  7. Wendy

Wendy Trying not to face plant Skier

I have a pair of ID Ones (FRXP), and they are AWESOME. Beautifully made. Fun, poppy, versatile. They have a US rep in SLC who I bought from. The FRXP would be a great all-mountain mogul ski. But I agree that the website suffers from serious translation issues. That’s where the rep came in handy. ogsmile
    2B6F32D4-DB6D-4A1A-8AE9-E297D9DC9B11.jpeg C0BF19E3-9594-403A-9B8B-B3FEF8DA323D.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Philpug and Brian Finch like this.
  8. Thread Starter
    TS
    CS2-6

CS2-6 Booting up Skier

IDOnes are incredibly rad I presume, and arguably the best option for professional bumpers. But I also presume they're far on the stiffer side of the spectrum (like the Volkl Wall Moguls and F-17 WCs). I need something significantly softer (Twisters, 244s, etc).
    Ah, thanks for the info Phil! Always coming through with the knowledge.

I'm betting it's stiffer than what I'm looking for, and the turning radius look too short.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  9. Wendy

The IDOne FRXP is NOT stiff at all! It is a relatively soft ski. It just has a lot of pop, so will gain lots of air off kickers. Which is what a bump skier would want, I
    presume. They are no stiffer than a K2 244, just with way better edge grip (vertical sidewalls) and a tad more sidecut. They are 78 underfoot, so not a mogul ski, but a ski that’s good in moguls. IDOne makes skis with varying stiffnesses....they do sell mogul skis with segmented edges that allow for a softer flex. They sell a “beginner’s Bump ski.” They make a lot more than competition-style mogul skis.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Philpug likes this.
  10. Wendy

@CS2-6 .....suburbanskiandbike.com, a shop based out of CT, has the 244 in a 173 for $400. :D They have great service and will do free binding mounts and shipping.

11. Thread Starter
    TS
    CS2-6

CS2-6 Booting up Skier

The search continues....

Anybody know anything about these older K2 Mambas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Thread Starter
    TS
    CS2-6

CS2-6 Booting up Skier

Philpug likes this.
  13. tball

tball Zipped up Skier

Sorry, I don't remember anyone on Mambas. Looks like 90's, though, with the "cap" construction, graphics, and M48's, but I'm not up on ski history as much as others.

The problem with used bump skis is you don't know if they have any life left in them. Those look good cosmetically, but they could be beat internally and not have any rebound or camber. Lots of foam core skis with short lives back then.

Did you see my post earlier today about the cheap Navigator 80? It's not a bump ski, but would be a safe option for an inexpensive ski that should do great in the bumps for you:
    https://www.pugski.com/threads/intermediate-mogul-all-mtn-ski-examples.9559/page-2#post-278666

14. Eric267

Eric267 Gettin after it Skier

Ogg, tball and Philpug like this.
  15. jack97

jack97 Getting off the lift Skier

I wouldn't go near those mambas for the reason mentioned, no life left in the ski. In addition, no ski shop will touch those bindings they are too old.

Forerunner finally got their web site back up, might want to consider renting.

http://www.forerunnerskishop.com/2018-mogul-ski-demos/

Philpug likes this.
  16. Philpug

Those will be really cool..hanging on a wall or as a shotzski...as far as on the snow? not so much.

17. SSSdave

SSSdave life is short precious ...don't waste it Skier

Interesting how few used mogul ski are available even on ebay. Since there are so few new models available and what is there are pricy with only with special direct online ordering, I'll speculate those like this person that still ski bumps seriously at least some of the time, are holding onto their skis if they ski well on them because they are not likely to find replacements and in any case, most of us don't trust how well skis marketed as mogul skis will actually perform unless they have some solid model history. My own Twisters have to be getting softer and that will tend make me wonder on any firm snow days. But at least for now in the softer packed powder snow conditions I most ski them on at 8k>10k, I am able to work them fine.

18. Philpug

These are very good deal and one of the better moul skis out there.

19. jack97

jack97 Getting off the lift Skier

Right now and unfortunately for the OP, the Twister market is bare . I think Dynastar or the re sellers has cutback its quantities. That said, when a deal is good it my be worth a risk. I took risk on some on the Elan Bloodlines and found it was a great ski on firm, hard pack bumps. But back to a good deal others, this might a good for those who don't have a weight problem.....

https://hartskis.com/clearance-skis

20. Thread Starter
    TS
    CS2-6

CS2-6 Booting up Skier

Too good to be true I guess...
    Thanks! I hadn't seen that thread, but I'll definitely check them out.
    Thanks for the heads up. I've demoed two sets of mogul skis in my life: Volkl Wall Mogul and 4FRNT Originator. The Volkls beat the living tar outta me. The Originators felt great, even though they were too long for me (181cm).
    Finally! I'd been checking that site two to three times a week until I went out of town a few days ago.
    I am jealous. I'm lusting for a set of Twisters, 244s, or Originators.
    Holy cow those are cheap!! Jack, I know you previously recommended the softer skis or me (Twisters, 244s, Originators). Do you (or anyone else for that matter; @thomas I think you were looking into getting some earlier this year) have an idea about whether the Hart Boss would be good for me (I'm pretty light, 5'11", 160lbs), or would they be too stiff?