• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wrong wax

Bradley9

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Question to the experts. What's going on when your freshly waxed ski's literally stick to the snow? Just had it happen a second time. Both were resort shops and both were on new snow. You can feel that "pull" as you ski, as well. No glide Never realized you could get wax that wrong. Bases looked well brushed out.

Had the shop re-do it, but lost an hour of prime time with fresh snow.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Just had a discussion with @Jacques about this, since we ski on all manmade here. he gave me a mix to use to harden up my wax and still deal with the warmer temps in NC. he recommended a 50-50 mix of graphite zoom and bullet.
On another note, I rode with some NC boys yesterday. They were loving a sunny day at Bachelor!

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
I think this year has some big chnage in skiing , I was thinking it was just me , but lot of people at ski area confirm this, I think main problem big variation in Temperature and atmosphere .
First time in February ,for past 10 years , I saw Wet snow in Keystone ,Co this year. Never seen wet snow in February in Co. Maybe it is me , but I see big difference this year.
In December right before Christmas , at Crested Butte,Co was very humid day with 35F ,Also never experience Humid at that parts of the year, Skiing that day was really difficult, I was thinking something with my Wax or skis, but second day they were flying , since was 25F and very dry, then I relize it was whether related.
So definitely this year something going on with our Planet.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In December right before Christmas , at Crested Butte,Co was very humid day with 35F ,Also never experience Humid at that parts of the year, Skiing that day was really difficult, I was thinking something with my Wax or skis, but second day they were flying , since was 25F and very dry, then I relize it was whether related.
So definitely this year something going on with our Planet.
If only some one had predicted this, and others in power would believe in this and act on it.
Oh, this possibilities....
:huh::nono:

skinavy

Booting up
Skier
Had a good lesson in "wrong wax" last month at A-Basin. Wife and I had generic "all-temp" (read: East coast) wax, but it was -5F air temp. Skis glided about as well as if I had skins on them, backwards. Got a quick belt wax done while we had lunch, which was great for 3 runs, then was gone. Did a proper cold-temp wax-n-scrape that night, and the next day, ~same temps, was happily gliding again.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
Had a good lesson in "wrong wax" last month at A-Basin. Wife and I had generic "all-temp" (read: East coast) wax, but it was -5F air temp. Skis glided about as well as if I had skins on them, backwards. Got a quick belt wax done while we had lunch, which was great for 3 runs, then was gone. Did a proper cold-temp wax-n-scrape that night, and the next day, ~same temps, was happily gliding again.
Last week at Keystone , in morning at 8 am was 0F and at 1 pm was 40F, this is what I was saying about in my post #5.
I had Cold was and morning was good , but afternoon was terrible .

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
This thread has me closely watching the likely temps for upcoming trip to Montana. Although this seems to be less of an issue on Real snow than it is on man-made IMO...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This thread has me closely watching the likely temps for upcoming trip to Montana. Although this seems to be less of an issue on Real snow than it is on man-made IMO...
I find my Tahoe waxing is different than when I go to Colorado.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nothing is worse than having warm spring wax on a super cold day. The bottom of your skis will look like a 1970s freezer that has never been defrosted ever.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you are racing and looking looking for every second of time, specialty waxes are a must. However if you just want to wax and ski without being concerned for the wax you need the next day consider a good fast all purpose wax. Personally, Hertel FC739 (now its been reformulated to Racing 739 no fluoro, have yet to try it) has been my choice. Best descriptions include, fast, lasts and works in all temps.

So consider going to a simpler waxing system.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been using CH6 all season and I'm out of basically everything else. The temp range on that wax seems to work really well for MN skiing. I need to buy some CH8 before our trip though. The CH6 I've been using is too hard for the conditions were going to be skiing.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wait, say that again. CH6 is too hard for conditions in Montana? You're expecting spring skiing?

The forecast does looks warm. We're doing a day in Red Lodge on the way out there... I'm thinking the temps will be 20-35 at Bridger/Big Sky...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I use the Holmenkol shop Universal LF wax all the time. It works well from 0 and up. I haven't had sub-zero temps this winter.

Sponsor

Staff online