• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wrong wax

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been using CH6 all season and I'm out of basically everything else. The temp range on that wax seems to work really well for MN skiing. I need to buy some CH8 before our trip though. The CH6 I've been using is too hard for the conditions were going to be skiing.

Forget the CH8, get the newer UR8. It seems to work over a much wider range, particularly at the lower temp end. Getting like holmenkol beta in terms of versatility

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Forget the CH8, get the newer UR8. It seems to work over a much wider range, particularly at the lower temp end. Getting like holmenkol beta in terms of versatility

I might have to try that out. I've always used the CH series of waxes. Is working with the UR series basically the same overall?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

Ok I just looked up the UR8 and I've used that wax in the past. My wife bought me a block at one point. I think I still have some at home actually. I think I had read that the CH was a better wax and didn't use the UR much after that.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I might have to try that out. I've always used the CH series of waxes. Is working with the UR series basically the same overall?

Basically the same color wise, I can’t remember if it also has the odd # variants like 7, but realistically not required. UR6 and UR8 will cover 90% + of your needs for a hydrocarbon wax. I have been using it on my coaching, training and demo skis this year and just as good as holmenkol. (It was available really cheap last summer! ). It was marketed originally as a lower cost but my experience with the UR8 is that it is superior to the CH8

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
What about Purl Ski/Snowboard Wax All temp ,
I heard it is very good and long lasting but want to hear here form forum if anyone has experience?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been very impressed with the liquid paraffins that are offered by our new sponsor [plug] Toko [/plug]. They go on quick and easy, with a bit of waiting then buffing and they are ready for snow. Review coming soon.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
The forecast does looks warm. We're doing a day in Red Lodge on the way out there... I'm thinking the temps will be 20-35 at Bridger/Big Sky...
CH6 would still work just fine unless you end up with some seriously sun-affected aspects (admittedly a possibility). RLM and Big Sky both have significant elevation differentials to town, so make sure the forecast you're using is elevation-corrected.

IMO, waxing CH6 for that trip and then throwing a liquid-of-the-day on top would be a safe bet with minimal effort. Bring a sharp steel scraper, though, because the good skiing at all of those places tends to evoke Warren Miller's line about six feet of snow and seven feet of rocks.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I think this year has some big chnage in skiing , I was thinking it was just me , but lot of people at ski area confirm this, I think main problem big variation in Temperature and atmosphere .
First time in February ,for past 10 years , I saw Wet snow in Keystone ,Co this year. Never seen wet snow in February in Co. Maybe it is me , but I see big difference this year.
In December right before Christmas , at Crested Butte,Co was very humid day with 35F ,Also never experience Humid at that parts of the year, Skiing that day was really difficult, I was thinking something with my Wax or skis, but second day they were flying , since was 25F and very dry, then I relize it was whether related.
So definitely this year something going on with our Planet.

There is a wax that can fix that!

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
CH6 would still work just fine unless you end up with some seriously sun-affected aspects (admittedly a possibility). RLM and Big Sky both have significant elevation differentials to town, so make sure the forecast you're using is elevation-corrected.

IMO, waxing CH6 for that trip and then throwing a liquid-of-the-day on top would be a safe bet with minimal effort. Bring a sharp steel scraper, though, because the good skiing at all of those places tends to evoke Warren Miller's line about six feet of snow and seven feet of rocks.

Nice tip. I have a super wide chisel I like to use to fix base scrapes. I'll likely bring that in case we mess anything up.

I've noticed temps at RLM and BS tend to be about 20 degrees colder at the top than the 'in town' temps on a rough average.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Had a good lesson in "wrong wax" last month at A-Basin. Wife and I had generic "all-temp" (read: East coast) wax, but it was -5F air temp. Skis glided about as well as if I had skins on them, backwards. Got a quick belt wax done while we had lunch, which was great for 3 runs, then was gone. Did a proper cold-temp wax-n-scrape that night, and the next day, ~same temps, was happily gliding again.

Skis "slide" by creating a very thin "melt layer" between the base of the ski and the snow as you ski along. When it's that cold, the melt layer cannot form, so you are skiing on the snow crystals just as if they were like sand. You need the hardest wax on the planet in those situations, but honestly not much could have helped. I avoid skiing, if at all possible, when the temp is below double digits for just this reason.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
. I avoid skiing, if at all possible, when the temp is below double digits for just this reason.
You're missing the best ski days!!! Single digits are the best.

I'm always ready and gliding with my pre-season underlay of CH3 and 4. There's Racewax green maybe on from the day before, but those underlying layers are still visible when you brush, it lasts well into the season it's so hard. With an early spring here, I'm now looking to open up my structure a bit. That hard wax has lasted too long for the season we've had. I much prefer frigid temps to spring slop.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
You're missing the best ski days!!! Single digits are the best.

I'm always ready and gliding with my pre-season underlay of CH3 and 4. There's Racewax green maybe on from the day before, but those underlying layers are still visible when you brush, it lasts well into the season it's so hard. With an early spring here, I'm now looking to open up my structure a bit. That hard wax has lasted too long for the season we've had. I much prefer frigid temps to spring slop.

I'll take the Spring slop. ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*shrug* more for meeeeeee :ogbiggrin:

Seriously, I <3 that stuff, it's got windbuff texture and stiffness, it can't get set into ruts and trenches, and proto-moguls are self-leveling. The only trick is to have a hard wax with internal lubrication and stay on edge.

*sigh* I miss MSA; totally tempted to go full Epic for just that mountain - and get Fernie as bonus.

Oh and...if I do this...I am totally going nanowax.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
I actually used this wax last year and agree 100% that works in very good range temp and very good wax.
I mix it with Toko All Temp white and worked very good . Toko All temp white seams to be more cold then hot Wax , it is kind of hard wax.

I did same today , going on Spring brake to CB , so will see how it works on 40F temp, weather showing 20F to 40F . Last year Never had chance to test it last year higher then 25F.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Wax report 3rd day - Eldora, Copper, Breck. Still running good in the am, still has low breakaway in the lift line. Maplus Race Base Medium on top of 4 cycles of Base Renew.

Definitely not wrong and perfectly durable.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Wax report 3rd day - Eldora, Copper, Breck. Still running good in the am, still has low breakaway in the lift line. Maplus Race Base Medium on top of 4 cycles of Base Renew.

Definitely not wrong and perfectly durable.

Regular Renew, or Graphite Renew?
The new FFC line has one Base Prep. and is has some graphite in it.
From Dominator's FB page. "DOMINATOR's new ELITE fluoro-free waxes, which will be available in the 20-21 season, took the boys to the top step of the podium of the Vermont U14 State Championships!! " 1, 2 & 3!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Graphite renew.

I just got my hands on some of the cold Elite last night - sorry but the colour is disgusting. I got shown how to use it as the last layer in a stack.

You would have had fun, all the skate skis were cleaned with Swix _after_ a hot scrape.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Graphite renew.

I just got my hands on some of the cold Elite last night - sorry but the colour is disgusting. I got shown how to use it as the last layer in a stack.

You would have had fun, all the skate skis were cleaned with Swix _after_ a hot scrape.
? You got Elite or FFC (Fluoro Free Competition)? I have the FFC, but no Elite. Elite is the next step up from FFC.
Yes, I did get the FFC 2 a bit later.

Sponsor

Staff online