• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I can only describe mine in retrospect, because I was such a newbie that I didn't realize how bad it was. Sometime around Christmas 1981 at Sunshine (sic), Banff. My Canadian friends had got me to go skiing for the first time the previous Christmas, and I had bought probably the cheapest, least insulated cr@ppy ski jacket and pants on the face of the planet at that stage. So I come back the next year bringing the same ski pants and jacket. There's a chair lift called TeePee (probably valuable right now, huh?) which comes out onto a ridgeline right at the top. It's about -30C that day, with wind. And the chair lift stops while we're on the ridgeline. For about 10-15 minutes. There is a real genuine danger of serious frostbite. I'm in those same highly insulated ski clothes. Finally, we get off and ski right down to the lodge and go in to warm up. We were all extremely (British as I was then understatement, I'm probably not allowed to say effing) cold. But once we warmed up, out we all went to ski. I knew what had happened, but frankly, the whole ski experience was so new to me - and I'd only skied the Great White North, Banff version in my life - that I had no real idea of how bad it was until I discovered in 1983 that one could ski in reasonable temperatures (Vail and Winter Park) in reasonable new ski gear and enjoy it even more ...

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've never had anything I would call my worst day on skis, since really any day on skis IMHO is better than not regardless of the weather.
There have been a few days that stand-out, in no particular order:

1) Mid-90s, my buddies dad and us up north for a weekend to stay at his older's sisters place who lived in Traverse City. We were probably in like 9th grade we left in the morning and he went to drop us off directly at Mt. Holiday with our stuff and then he went out and said he'd be back in like 3-4 hours to pick us up. Somehow my snowpants got put in a different bag and were left in his car. So I skis in jeans. However it was warmer day and then it started to rain, so skiing in wet jeans in the rain was not very fun. Plus there were bare spots and grass coming through everywhere I think we spent a few hours in the lodge eating fries, drinking mt dew, and playing arcade games mostly instead.

2) 2007, The time I broke up with a girlfriend on the beach at A-Basin. We were kind of doing the long distance thing that you all try to make work in the 20s and we went out to meet-up with our friends living in Colorado. One of them had a big bash planned on the beach and all good. Things had been odd with my gf leading up to it and she was being weird about even going out there. After than I just remember skiing off and getting on the Pali lift with some of the dudes in our crew and then just skiing around the rest of the day. The skiing was actually pretty good. The fact that I then had to then drive her back down to Denver so she could stay with another friend in the city and fly out, and then I turned around and drive back up to Summit wasn't so much; the most awkward drive down I-70 back to Denver ever. My buddies waiting with booze when I got back and then skiing the next day made things a lot better.

3) Far to many days of miserable conditions back in my high school and college racing days that made you question your sanity for people out on the hill in high winds, rain, fog, and just general miserable conditions

4) My dad and I always have a rule that you have to get 3 runs in, even in the most miserable conditions before you can call it a day. We've skied in some awful conditions as such, but now its actually pretty fun. He's 70 and still believes in that, we'd skied a few runs on some really rainy crappy days before, just for the heck of it and to get out of the house. Sometimes the worst days can be kind of fun.

Honorable mention - the day I tore my ACL, but actually I still skied the rest of the day taking it easy and didn't know any better at the time, or just was denying the inevitable.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
First time above tree line in flat light after cataract surgery and a film had developed behind the new lens. Everything was just bright white and I couldn't see any snow contour or texture even at my feet. I tried to follow some beginners but skied off the edge of something and crashed. So I tried side slipping down slowly when I suddenly realized while I was going down slow I was also going really fast forward. The moment I realized it my skis went straight up and I put my head between the shovels. When I came to a stop I couldn't turn my head and was spitting out pieces of my front teeth.

I've since had the film removed but I still struggle in flat light and still cannot see contour above tree line. Sunshine is golden!

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
12 years ago during our annual college ski buddy trip to Grand Targhee. First run we rode up Dreamcatcher and we got off in an absolute whiteout. Even though we all knew the mountain very well, we felt like we got lost on the way down. A couple guys experienced vertigo. We tried one more run then went in the ticket office and cashed in our tickets for a voucher for the next day. The Trap bar wasn't even open yet so we went to my friend's house for beers and shot pool!

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
12 years ago during our annual college ski buddy trip to Grand Targhee. First run we rode up Dreamcatcher and we got off in an absolute whiteout. Even though we all knew the mountain very well, we felt like we got lost on the way down. A couple guys experienced vertigo. We tried one more run then went in the ticket office and cashed in our tickets for a voucher for the next day. The Trap bar wasn't even open yet so we went to my friend's house for beers and shot pool!

I was on Aspen Mt once where to find the bottom of Chair 3 to ride back up, I had to listen to it. I guess it wasn't one and done, but close.

orioriori89

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
5 years ago I thought I was the bees knees ( as a now instructor I can safely say I was very much not) and went on a backcountry course on brand new skis that were 15cm taller than I had been on previously. Managed a small gully but when the terrain widened out I turned badly and tumbled a few times. Skis never popped off and it wasn't that high speed so thought I was okay even though it hurt like a b*tch.

Cue many hours later I've been skiing on one leg all day and finally go to the hospital. It wasn't until I had a proper review back in the UK 5 days after that I learnt how bad the damage was. Every ligament torn, my ACL was in 3 pieces, cartilage and meniscus damage, muscle damage, knee cap dislocated, the lower leg had dislocated, microfractures, the whole lot. I had to have multiple rounds of surgery and it took 3 years before I was able to get back on skis. :facepalm:
Definitely my worse day on the mountain

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK this may not be fully what the ask is. Couple years ago, kid and I were heading up for the annual early December $5 lift tickets special at the closest place to our house. It's a three hour drive one way. It's a Sunday. 2.5 hours in, about 30 minutes out.. check engine light comes on.. OK not all that unusual in the Forester.. But as we hit the peak of the mountain it starts running REALLY rough, misfiring, etc. OK, tell the kid to take the next exit and turn around.. It's Sunday, no place open to get it looked at, 140 miles from home. But, almost immediately after turning around the car is running fine again.. OK maybe just some bad gas or a clog in the fuel line that has cleared. We turnaround and head back towards the ski mountain. ALAS, as we were almost up the same peak again .. bumpity bump bump..... bump bump bump.. CRAP.. Turn around again and limped on home. It would run fine for 30 minutes then run rough again. rinse and repeat.

Never got to ski that day. Car had oil leaking through the valve cover gasket and down the plug tubes. Went ahead and did the full new plugs cables, etc tune with the gasket replacement. It was due so oh well.

Definitely the "worst day on the mountain"... beause we never made it to the SKI mountain.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK this may not be fully what the ask is. Couple years ago, kid and I were heading up for the annual early December $5 lift tickets special at the closest place to our house. It's a three hour drive one way. It's a Sunday. 2.5 hours in, about 30 minutes out.. check engine light comes on.. OK not all that unusual in the Forester.. But as we hit the peak of the mountain it starts running REALLY rough, misfiring, etc. OK, tell the kid to take the next exit and turn around.. It's Sunday, no place open to get it looked at, 140 miles from home. But, almost immediately after turning around the car is running fine again.. OK maybe just some bad gas or a clog in the fuel line that has cleared. We turnaround and head back towards the ski mountain. ALAS, as we were almost up the same peak again .. bumpity bump bump..... bump bump bump.. CRAP.. Turn around again and limped on home. It would run fine for 30 minutes then run rough again. rinse and repeat.

Never got to ski that day. Car had oil leaking through the valve cover gasket and down the plug tubes. Went ahead and did the full new plugs cables, etc tune with the gasket replacement. It was due so oh well.

Definitely the "worst day on the mountain"... beause we never made it to the SKI mountain.
I blew a HG on my way skiing. Elk Mountain Skier (from Epic) and I were headed up to Elk to meet up with @Ron and as I was going up 81...I think...I see a cloud of blue smoke in my rear view mirror coming from the back of my 89 Outback (2.5L, of course). I think EMS had his own truck and I came back with him, I don't completely recall.

Reactions: Ron

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2017 was a big snow year so on the 5th of July, I hiked 5,000 vertical feet up Mt. Rose to ski the 1,000 vertical feet of snowfield at the top. I was solo - no takers to join me on that hike. The skiing part was perfect corn but at the bottom of the snowfield, I stuffed a tip in a runnel that had been hiding behind a tree and broke a rib on the landing. At that point the "worst day" part began. Let's just say that removing my skis and putting on my hiking boots took longer than usual, as did stowing them on the pack and the hike back down the remaining 4,000 vertical feet. The worst part was the jarring from each step not being able to sit down and rest because of how badly it would hurt to get up again. Good times!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few years ago at Silver Mt. I had been teaching two ladies how to ski powder for a few trips and on this particular day they wanted to ski Real Powder so took them down South of the Border an easy pitch that usually had good snow and some trees. While leading them down the slope I kept looking back. Making sure they were doing ok and not getting lost or falling. While skiing and looking back at the same time I connected with a tree stump. Broke left wrist and put a limb through my right cheek into my mouth. Severe concussion, out for 30 sec. off the hill in sled to local hospital, then ambulance to another hospital. The worst thing was developed Bells Palsy from the trauma and still have slighly paralyzed right side of face. A really bad day. View attachment 98261
That doesn't even look like you!
This is the Pete I remember.
000_0031.jpeg

And this.

100_1763.jpeg

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
We shared a tequila sunrise...then another and another and an eighth or so. After many laughs we skied down to the base and called it a day.
Wrong thread. Move to another.

This worst day was my two sons ...begging me to make the switch from skis to boards... I signed them up and left them in the hands of the ski school.... I returned at lunch and found 2 tired and completely exhausted and discourage kids! I asked what the problem was... “Dad, we didn't know you have to sit when you stop, and these things don't like hard snow! Can we please get our skis!" They never asked again.
Ditto.

The day I tried snow boarding
Didn’t know what to post. But, this did it. Trying snowboarding at Stowe on ice and hard hardpack. My tail bone was sore for a couple years. I still have the donut cushions at home and office.

I had been teaching two ladies how to ski powder ... I connected with a tree stump. Broke left wrist and put a limb through my right cheek into my mouth.
Ok, now what’s your worst day, not theirs.

Season over. Worst part: my boss thought I was in Chicago at a meeting...
BTW: those were the good ol” days. Squaw gave me full credit for the pass towards the next season.
What did your boss give you?

I was struggling with new boots trying to make them work for most of the season leading up to the trip, so I never had a "good" day of skiing. Reverted to my old boots
ok, that be one of mine too. Feet cramped up so badly, I collapsed. I limped back to the lodge and switched to my old boots.

rotten luck of a snowstorm coming through my area the day before I was set to fly out. Power out
oh yeah, two years ago. Snow storm at Windham, during a PSIA exam. Power outage took out the lifts, but the exam had to proceed. So, we slogged up learning area over and over with skis on our shoulders. All work and no play.

tearing my calf muscle
Ah yes, another memory. Åre, Sweden. First ride up, up the tram. First time skiing with progressive lenses. Jumped without seeing clearly what I was landing in. Turned out to be a flat non-slope. Crack! Took a poma up, rode the tram back down. Got a refund for the lift ticket, but never had a chance to ski Åre.

I love skiing so much, it took others’ experiences to remind me that there have been some bad days. But, perhaps the very worst day is March 15, 2020, when, after returning the day before from a fantastic week at Telluride and looking forward to more, my home mountain announced its closure on account of COVID-19. I can only imagine the day in a not too distant future when resorts, one by one, announce permanent closures on account of global warming.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ahhhh, the old Subbie leaky head gasket trick. Gets 'em every time!
I blew a HG on my way skiing. Elk Mountain Skier (from Epic) and I were headed up to Elk to meet up with @Ron and as I was going up 81...I think...I see a cloud of blue smoke in my rear view mirror coming from the back of my 89 Outback (2.5L, of course). I think EMS had his own truck and I came back with him, I don't completely recall.
Not the head gasket, valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets. I've been putting a bunch of that super coolant treatment additive in over the past 10 years. So far the bubble gum head gasket patch and pray is still holding at 110K miles. The other gaskets failed at 90K. Got the timing belt and assembly replaced at that time too.

Maybe the HG will blow next time..

bigskymck

Booting up
Skier
Longtime lurker but infrequent poster. But I think I need to tell my story. For the children.
Sunny weekday morning mid-February in 2012. Parked my car at Donovan Park in West Vail, wrestled my way into my stupid Dobermann plugs, hoisted my skis and walked to the bus stop on Matterhorn Drive. There, I promptly fell over dead when my heart stopped beating. A young woman (my angel) waiting at the stop with her sons started chest compressions until an ambulance arrived nearly five minutes later. Apparently, EMTs got a heartbeat after a second shock. Stabilized at Vail Hospital, then choppered unconscious to a Denver Hospital ($31,000), where I spent seven days on a ventilator and in a hypothermic coma because docs feared brain damage. Three months later, I had a defibrillator implanted in my chest because they suspected a momentary loss of electrical signals to the heart. No damage to the heart, and I became one of less than 5 percent who survive a sudden cardiac arrest and come out of it not drooling.
Pretty bad day, huh? Nah. It got worse. Fast forward five years. Stopped in Front Range city for a minor traffic violation. While waiting for ticket to be written, two other squad cars come roaring up. It was a felony fugitive party! I was taken out of the car, handcuffed, arrested and taken to jail for a felony drug warrant out of Vail. Turns out an emergency room "Karen" had discovered a small bag of shrooms in my ski pants and called The Man. (I was meeting old University of Montana college buddies that ill-fated day for our annual slopeside homage to Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.)
Vail never bothered to let me know I was wanted by Johnny Law. Upshot: Six years later, a nice young judge in Eagle took pity on me and dismissed the charge after I was a good geezer for nine months. I don't think federal sentencing guidelines anticipated what to do with a retired professional, responsible taxpayer and obvious knothead.
Oh, yea, I missed the rest of the 2012 season and have had to miss subsequent annual Kesey celebrations out of deference to my two loving daughters.
So, OK, judge me. I'm good with that. But did I win the post?

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
hmm maybe 15? years ago, just bought a season pass at a resort 1,5 hours away, first trip, carve/jump sideways over a roller, boom no more thumb, broken clean, and fucked wrist, still not sure how I did that. was not allowed back on skis for months. same resort I broke bum/back on big jump 20 years ago... also lost two teeth there.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Longtime lurker but infrequent poster. But I think I need to tell my story. For the children.
Sunny weekday morning mid-February in 2012. Parked my car at Donovan Park in West Vail, wrestled my way into my stupid Dobermann plugs, hoisted my skis and walked to the bus stop on Matterhorn Drive. There, I promptly fell over dead when my heart stopped beating. A young woman (my angel) waiting at the stop with her sons started chest compressions until an ambulance arrived nearly five minutes later. Apparently, EMTs got a heartbeat after a second shock. Stabilized at Vail Hospital, then choppered unconscious to a Denver Hospital ($31,000), where I spent seven days on a ventilator and in a hypothermic coma because docs feared brain damage. Three months later, I had a defibrillator implanted in my chest because they suspected a momentary loss of electrical signals to the heart. No damage to the heart, and I became one of less than 5 percent who survive a sudden cardiac arrest and come out of it not drooling.
Pretty bad day, huh? Nah. It got worse. Fast forward five years. Stopped in Front Range city for a minor traffic violation. While waiting for ticket to be written, two other squad cars come roaring up. It was a felony fugitive party! I was taken out of the car, handcuffed, arrested and taken to jail for a felony drug warrant out of Vail. Turns out an emergency room "Karen" had discovered a small bag of shrooms in my ski pants and called The Man. (I was meeting old University of Montana college buddies that ill-fated day for our annual slopeside homage to Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters.)
Vail never bothered to let me know I was wanted by Johnny Law. Upshot: Six years later, a nice young judge in Eagle took pity on me and dismissed the charge after I was a good geezer for nine months. I don't think federal sentencing guidelines anticipated what to do with a retired professional, responsible taxpayer and obvious knothead.
Oh, yea, I missed the rest of the 2012 season and have had to miss subsequent annual Kesey celebrations out of deference to my two loving daughters.
Wow that's what I'd call a bad trip..

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

You win.
Anybody that dies and can tell us the story wins.
You get 2nd place too and maybe 3rd.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yea, it was, for me. But all my "friends" sure got a kick out of it. They call me the most hapless criminal in the West.
Truly a bad day, you never actually made it to the lift. That may be the worst part. No the heart stopped is the worst. Hope you are doing better.

Sponsor

Staff online