• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jeffc7

Booting up
Skier
February 2017, On an epic snow day, the 5th run of the day I broke both shoulders and crushed my nose. The worst part is, it wasn’t even really a run, I was tuck and go on the ridge to get to a chute to ski. I’m told I was going about 50mph, hit some ruts that I anticipated no problem, veered right to avoid a couple snow borders and his a dip from a snow drift. Don’t remember much except not being able to breathe, arm in pain and blood gushing out of nose. Took a month before I could even touch the top of my head. Hit physical therapy pretty hard and was able to ski by Memorial Day.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
My worst day skiing is better than the not skiing. Only days that tend to stand out in my memory bank are the really good and the really bad.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The first time I skied at Mad River Glen. I had a bad cold and hadn't gotten much sleep the night before. MRG is a great place to explore, but not so much when you are feeling like crap to begin with. I got beat up that day.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
First on lift, making round turns maybe 300 yards from the upper terminal, struck from behind, chop blocked in left leg, multiple fractures of tibia plateau. Far worse than each of my Achilles' tendon ruptures.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
3 years ago now was "attempting" to exit Sunnyside life at Winter Park. Two boarders cross right in front of the exit area so I waiting so would not hit them. well it was a second to late and was hit in the lower back by the chair. Broke my lower back and had the honor of taking the sled down. Patrol was incredible they helped my then finance back to the car.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
tearing my calf muscle, thel knee blowouts,cracking ribs cheekbones wrists etc have all been pretty minor when compared with some of those I skied with.
those are by far the worst days

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot to mention my first experience with plastic boots, the very early Lange's without flow.

Barely finished one run. Problem seemed to be the high arch, as I remember.

Tried to get them modified without success. Went back to my leather boots until I got better Lange's a year or two later.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Beaver Creek about 20 years ago. Sandwiched between my 2 best lift area days ever (Breckenridge & Loveland)

This after a massive powder week 8 +10+14+12 +16 + 8 new. . .I headed to Beaver CK. First the road had 6 inches
of snow in travel lanes, all trucks on side. I thought road should be closed, Looked left and EB was closed at Vail,
turned radio on and heard my direction just closed by avalanche blocking WB at exit to Eisenhauer tunnel (passed that 20 min ago) I arrive at Beaver Creek lower parking, get booted up and see busloads coming down. One said don't bother as power
just went off everywhere, Hotels, base lodge, and lifts loaded with people. Grrrrrrrrrr Went by office which had power and they had no idea when power would be back and were giving no refunds. Saw wife friends daughter working at the Hyatt-almost trapped in the elevator but stuck her foot in the door.

Gave up and left town. got East to closure point in Minturn. No rooms, 3hr wait for food. Truckers said back road past Cooper to Leadville was open. I went that way. Worst road ever. Driving snow, saw no one, all you could do was aim the car between massive snowbanks on both sides of the road. This got me to Frisco then out several hours later.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
I forgot to mention my first experience with plastic boots, the very early Lange's without flow.

Barely finished one run. Problem seemed to be the high arch, as I remember.

Tried to get them modified without success. Went back to my leather boots until I got better Lange's a year or two later.
I had a pair of the pre-flow Langes. Fit with those pockets around the inside was wonderful. Flex in the shop was great. Skiing in subfreezing temperatures was unbelievably painful. I bought Rosemonts half way through my first season with those Langes.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Beaver Creek about 20 years ago. Sandwiched between my 2 best lift area days ever (Breckenridge & Loveland)

This after a massive powder week 8 +10+14+12 +16 + 8 new. . .I headed to Beaver CK. First the road had 6 inches
of snow in travel lanes, all trucks on side. I thought road should be closed, Looked left and EB was closed at Vail,
turned radio on and heard my direction just closed by avalanche blocking WB at exit to Eisenhauer tunnel (passed that 20 min ago) I arrive at Beaver Creek lower parking, get booted up and see busloads coming down. One said don't bother as power
just went off everywhere, Hotels, base lodge, and lifts loaded with people. Grrrrrrrrrr Went by office which had power and they had no idea when power would be back and were giving no refunds. Saw wife friends daughter working at the Hyatt-almost trapped in the elevator but stuck her foot in the door.

Gave up and left town. got East to closure point in Minturn. No rooms, 3hr wait for food. Truckers said back road past Cooper to Leadville was open. I went that way. Worst road ever. Driving snow, saw no one, all you could do was aim the car between massive snowbanks on both sides of the road. This got me to Frisco then out several hours later.
Sounds like a frustrating ski day, but at least you had a fun drive. :thumb:

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I had a pair of the pre-flow Langes. Fit with those pockets around the inside was wonderful. Flex in the shop was great. Skiing in subfreezing temperatures was unbelievably painful. I bought Rosemonts half way through my first season with those Langes.
Wasn't it the Rosemont's that had the packets of "Red Stuff" to do the fitting?

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
This worst day was my two sons! They are a year apart, Irish twins. Snowboarding was becoming very popular, and they were begging me to make the switch from skis to boards. So, I took them up to Red Lodge where they have an excellent ski school and a great "learn to..." program. I signed them up and left them in the hands of the ski school. (they were 11 and 12) I returned at lunch and found 2 tired and completely exhausted and discourage kids! I asked what the problem was. They replied in unison, "Dad, we didn't know you have to sit when you stop, and these things don't like hard snow! Can we please get our skis!" They never asked again.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
This worst day was my two sons! They are a year apart, Irish twins. Snowboarding was becoming very popular, and they were begging me to make the switch from skis to boards. So, I took them up to Red Lodge where they have an excellent ski school and a great "learn to..." program. I signed them up and left them in the hands of the ski school. (they were 11 and 12) I returned at lunch and found 2 tired and completely exhausted and discourage kids! I asked what the problem was. They replied in unison, "Dad, we didn't know you have to sit when you stop, and these things don't like hard snow! Can we please get our skis!" They never asked again.

funny, daughter who was probably 14 at the time had the same reaction. she has skied since she was 3 and had been begging to board. she is a excellent wakesurfer so she thought it would be easy. at noon she is like dad go the car and get me my skis please.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
I've never had any truly terrible days but one unplesant day came to mind where I was at Lutsen in a blizzard. 8° and there was several inches of snow already fallen and I was on race skis. It wasn't fun.
Most depressing day was the last day of this season. I had new skis and a list of things to try before the season was over. Well since things closed suddenly I have to wait until next season to really enjoy these new skis.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
For my wife's (then girl friend) first experience on skis we went to Breckenridge for a week with a college group. She did quite well the first day despite hating cold weather. The second day we went to Keystone and it didn't end well and have proven to still be a problem 20 years later. We took gondola up and started down Schoolmarm. She made it a whole 200 yards before falling which led to a 3+ hour trip to the bottom. I was in a pair of Atomic Beta Race 10.50 boots that skied great but didn't necessarily fit well. I was in agonizing pain and she was in tears. At one point I almost went to get the ski patrol to help get her down but she wouldn't let me. When she finally got to the bottom and took off her skis she collapsed. We called it a day at that point. The nightmare has effected her desire and ability to ski ever since and she refuses to try anything other than easy green runs.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Alyeska back in the early 70's booting up in the day lodge on a bluebird powder day. Forest Service is shooting for avi control. They hit a heavily laden draw way up on Max's Mountain and it was a site to see that beast grow and roar down the mountain like the freight train from hell. The whole lodge is whooping and hollering till it hit the top of the skiable terrain with no signs of slowing down, and we all got real quiet. Within about 5 seconds everybody is bailing for the back door to the parking lot, and good thing. The beast came right through the front windows and ended up inside the day lodge, taking out the only chairlift on the way.

So ended the ski season at Alyeska that year. Bad day!

Actually, I'd qualify that as the worst ski day, but one of the most unique experiences ever.

rustypouch

Getting on the lift
Skier
Last season. In one day I had three kids in the same group get hurt, one of them seriously.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
That's never fun. I've had only one experience with a client needing Ski Patrol transport from a lesson injury. That's in 50 seasons of conducting lessons. Guess I'm very lucky.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January