• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
4ster

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
men’s start list…
http://medias3.fis-ski.com/pdf/2020/AL/0001/2020AL0001SLR1.pdf

C101C3BD-3838-4BDC-8729-FD7D4F101A3C.jpeg

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Any picks?

The obvious two are HK and Pintu. I like Marco Odermatt of Switzerland, as a bit of a dark horse. Would not shock me.

A top 10 by Tommy Ford or Ligety would be great. I fear we’re going to see how old Ted is this season. If the hill gets beat up, it will not help his back.

I think we might see RCS, BMac and River all in points. Five in the points would be a very good start. Might be a tall ask, as well.

Not the same with no MH. Might make things a lot more interesting.

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Loic Meillard
Tommy Ford
& Luca DeAliprandini because I luv saying Luca DeAliprandini

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
It is a cool name! Maybe we should have an all name, all time start list!
Yeah, Alexis Pintarault is a pretty cool name too & the way he was skiing last year, he is who I would actually like to see win :ogcool:

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
We are thinking of going to Wengen to watch one day of the races, taking the train up from Zermatt. Anybody done this? Just wondering if the logistics will work for one day?

Have taken train from Zurich to Grindelwald/Wengen many times. My guess is your plan is doable. To get to Grindelwald, you transfer at Interlaken Ost and then head up. The race ends up the mountain, so you have to decide where you want to watch it and whether you will be on skis. Wixi lift, Canadian corner, and finish are probably the main choices.

Have skied that area (and Lauberhorn track) many times (~20 days worth ) but never seen the race. Some day I hope to do that. You should certainly go if you can. Will pray for good weather for you as it can’t be beat when nice. View from the start house is below.

830739E6-8CAD-4961-AD32-3FA3B4BE4155.jpeg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
Has anyone seen HK's second run?
Yes, he went on his side on a right footer just before the pitch. Got back on his feet but the damage was done. BTW he was already losing time to Ligety.

Good day for the Americans with Ford & Ligety just off the podium. Erik Read had a smoking first run & without the bobble in the 2nd would have been threatening the podium. RCS not to0 bad either & River Radimus just missing the 2nd run cut.

Some heat from Faivre from lucky #13, maybe some Mikaela Magic rubbing off.

Great to see Pintarault take the win!

Here is a link to the full results:
https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/general/results.html?sectorcode=AL&raceid=100026

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...River Radimus just missing the 2nd run cut..

So Radamus is 21 years old. Is he at a point that if he's ever going to be good (like being regularly top 10), he should be making every second run and finishing higher? Or do some racers come on later/older?

TS
4ster

4ster

Instructor
So Radamus is 21 years old. Is he at a point that if he's ever going to be good (like being regularly top 10), he should be making every second run and finishing higher? Or do some racers come on later/older?
He was an outstanding junior in all events AFAIK. I believe last year was his first WC start. So yeah, I think he still has a few years to work his way into the top 30 & beyond.

Here is a link to more information:
https://usskiandsnowboard.org/search?keys=river radamus

Muleski

Inactive
River has been top in the world in his age group, all the way through. He's 21. He has been very carefully brought along as both of his parents are deep in the sport, and know what they are doing. The time to be winning on the WC is mid twenties on.

One guy River's age finished ahead of him today. One. River is the defending World Junior Champ in the GS and SG. He won silver in each of the previous two years. He is the only three time gold medalist in the history of the youth Olympic Games. This is rarified air.

He has been described in private conversations with the USST CEO, the Alpine PD, the head Development Coach, and head men's coach as "The future of the U.S. Ski Team." Guys who have been cut bu the USST have been told that "We are putting more resources toward River." Project 26, which I really disagree with, is largely about River.

River is a great kid. His teammates look up to him. He's going to be a star, and will win PLENTY of WC's in his career. Yeah.... "If he's ever going to be good....." Might reconsider that kind of comment. Just saying......

Last edited by a moderator:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah.... "If he's ever going to be good....." Might reconsider that kind of comment. Just saying......

It wasn't a comment - it was a question. No need to reconsider.

I'm simply unfamiliar with rising stars and expected outcomes in ski racing, having only really started paying any attention to it in the last couple of years. I've seen many junior stars in other sports (hockey, baseball, football) fail to pan out in their early twenties, as their progression or improvement maxes out, when they should be continuing to improve. So I wanted to know at what age a rising ski star can be expected to "pan out". I'm really hoping Radamus does - I'd love to see a new young star, particularly from the US. Thanks for the extra info!

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
He [River] was an outstanding junior in all events AFAIK

If you follow college football the best analogy that can be used on junior world championships is they are like "recruiting stars". It is a good indicator of potential success but of course doesn't guarantee anything. Five stars athletes in football have greater chance for success than those with lesser ratings but many flame out once they get to Ann Arbor, South Bend, C-Bus, etc.

I don't have data on this, but would be interesting to see when (age) the top-15 in each event made the top seed. Seems that most make it early (NC, HK, MH, KJ, AS) and stick and then other young kids come into the top seed while the others that made it young stick or move towards speed disciplines as they age.

Muleski

Inactive
One key factor....it's generally acknowledged by most national federations that among MEN, other than the very rare MH's HK's AP's, etc. they may have pushed athletes too hard, too young. And today, they sport is even more brutal in a physical sense than it was. There is good reason why Norway defunded their B team, and send SO many kids to the USA and the NCAA. Race NCAA, race a full NorAm schedule, fly home for the occasional EC or WC starts. Grow up, grow bigger, grow stronger. Graduate at 23 or so, and THEN go after it. However if you are on a differ trajectory, like Norwegian Atle McGrath {Felix's son}, you are going to be brought to the EC and WC sooner.

So....it sort of "all depends." Lots of studies about this over the years. most recently the one commissioned by Dan Leever for the USSA/USST. General theme.....don't push team too fast. Which is a big change form 15-20 years ago with the USST.

Sponsor

Staff online