• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

World Cup 2018 (Soccer/Futbol)

TS
Pumba

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeahhh! I also recommend watching the free stream on Telemundo’s site. The commentary on Fox is terrible!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@JohnL is pulling for Poland in the World Cup
ede35ea69bc19d7959250414f196a893--robert-lewandowski-football-players.jpg

TS
Pumba

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier

I wish. I was just at a bar/restaurant called Bogota. It was filled to gills with Colombia fans, so it felt like I was there...

Are you following the cup? You must be happy with how well the Swiss are doing.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish. I was just at a bar/restaurant called Bogota. It was filled to gills with Colombia fans, so it felt like I was there...

Are you following the cup? You must be happy with how well the Swiss are doing.
We'll, I'm really Argentinean ( just lived in Switzerland growing up). Argentina's not doing too well. But I'm happy about Mexico and Colombia! We watched the end of Germany -Sweden while mountain biking. I wanted Germany to lose. Oh well.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
We'll, I'm really Argentinean ( just lived in Switzerland growing up). Argentina's not doing too well. But I'm happy about Mexico and Colombia! We watched the end of Germany -Sweden while mountain biking. I wanted Germany to lose. Oh well.

Ay ay ay. That 4-3 was painful but fair. France played better, and we could have ended up 6-2 down or worse. It's still good to have made it to the best 16 teams. A mix of younger players wuth a couple veterans and a strong, younger defense could have meabmbt a more competitive team. But for this squad, unfortunately, we made it as far as we could. Congrats to France!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So the USA didn't make the tourney. And Croatia is going to the final against France. The population of Croatia is 4.28 million of which about one-fourth live in the capital of Zagreb. The entire population is on the order of the size of the Seattle or Detroit metro areas!

sjjohnston

Putting on skis
Skier
Of course, in ski racing, a country with a population of 8.7 million won the Nations' Cup last season ... and the thirty consecutive seasons before that.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeh, but they can't really be that good since their football team got beat by Wales :D

First, it's soccer. Try to get it right. ;)

Second, Wales is actually a pretty strong team somehow. In the FIFA world rankings, Wales is up to 18, ahead of Italy and the Netherlands. (And yeah, I know the rankings are pretty flawed sometimes... but still, that's pretty high.)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
it right. ;)

...I don't think that word means what you think it means [/Inigo]

Second, Wales is actually a pretty strong team somehow. In the FIFA world rankings, Wales is up to 18, ahead of Italy and the Netherlands. (And yeah, I know the rankings are pretty flawed sometimes... but still, that's pretty high.)

Exactly why I picked it, in context of the prior population size point. Citing Austria's loss to Ireland would have been neither here nor ...funny.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am in England and watched the game with colleagues on Wednesday. The hype leading up to it was fun but I felt horribly for one colleague who called his son after the game and the son was in tears.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If anyone wants further freaky statistics -

- No other team before Croatia has ever reached the finals by winning 3 games on penalty shots.
- No other team before Croatia has ever reached the finals by *not* scoring before their opponent has.
- No other team has fewer domestic league players (2)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
If anyone wants further freaky statistics -

- No other team before Croatia has ever reached the finals by winning 3 games on penalty shots.
- No other team before Croatia has ever reached the finals by *not* scoring before their opponent has.
- No other team has fewer domestic league players (2)

Another: look at the top 4 teams in each cup, this century. Out of 20 teams, 15 are/were from Europe. That's 75% of the top positions. Tremendous dominance. Planning and systematic work with the youth divisions. It pays off!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Valiant effort by Croatia. France rules!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Croatian goalie injury appears to have caught up with them.

TS
Pumba

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
That was an excellent, action packed final. I kind of wanted Croatia to win - such fight and tenacity...
I’m happy for France. Their team is so diverse. It’s basically a pan-African squad. Overall this World Cup was awesome!!! Now on to Premier League in a few weeks.

Sponsor

Staff online