• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

World Cup 2018 (Soccer/Futbol)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah..but we're still like 86th in the world...so that leaves all the countries from 48 to 85 going wtf? But I suppose that's FIFA, just buy your way in! :D

Russia is doing ok right now as the lowest rank! I figure when you get down below 40 or 50, it doesn't matter too much anyway.

TS
Pumba

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Woah, was not expecting such a blowout...5-0 to Russia!...This crazy score made me think the match was rigged, especially since they haven't won much at all recently... But a friend who actually watched said that Saudi Arabia was legit BAD and the refs didn't make any weird calls.

Tomorrow afternoon is Portugal v. Spain. That should be really fun - with some of the best players in the world on the field. I'll be rooting for Spain bc I can't stand Ronaldo and Iniesta is one of my fave players. He's the classiest and most humble player.

I always wonder who the "nice" and "smart" players are. Meaning, not the typical glammed up, tattooed, entoruage style of player. Others that seem to be cool/normal in real life: Juan Mata (he's not at this cup), Jan Vertongen, anyone else?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Woah, was not expecting such a blowout...5-0 to Russia!...This crazy score made me think the match was rigged, especially since they haven't won much at all recently... But a friend who actually watched said that Saudi Arabia was legit BAD and the refs didn't make any weird calls....

They were BAD. The only WC game I ever went to was 94, RFK Stadium, and saw Saudi Arabia beat Belgium. Big upset, it was fun. (I was pregnant and had a fever and it was July in DC ... that part was not fun.)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Tomorrow afternoon is Portugal v. Spain. That should be really fun - with some of the best players in the world on the field. I'll be rooting for Spain bc I can't stand Ronaldo and Iniesta is one of my fave players. He's the classiest and most humble player.

I always wonder who the "nice" and "smart" players are. Meaning, not the typical glammed up, tattooed, entoruage style of player. Others that seem to be cool/normal in real life: Juan Mata (he's not at this cup), Jan Vertongen, anyone else?

Other class players: Jordi Alba and Phillip Lamm (he's not in this cup). And I agree Iniesta is world class all the way, sad to see him leave Barcelona/La Liga to go to Japan .

TS
Pumba

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Other class players: Jordi Alba and Phillip Lamm (he's not in this cup). And I agree Iniesta is world class all the way, sad to see him leave Barcelona/La Liga to go to Japan .

Oh yeah, Philip lahm! He did have the look of the “responsible one.”....actually, a lot of the German players seem like decent humans.

TS
Pumba

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was thinking, are there any famous soccer players who ski? A quick search only showed me that it was banned at Barcelona a few seasons ago. Then I stumbled upon this fun vid:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
tres cool!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
[QUOTE="fatbob, post: 247948, member: ]

And it's called football. Now that you septics will be hosting it again learn the name.....[/QUOTE]

Interesting bit on the Freakonomics WC podcast on this intrinsic bit of Brit grouchery.

In other non news Ronaldo milks a penalty with an elaborate dive. Just looking at his face has decided me I can forgive Ramos enough to root for Spain. Ideally Ramos and Ronaldo will injure each other out of the tourney and reduce the cynicism factor.

TS
Pumba

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
ARGHHH!!! 3-3, Portugal v Spain. Ronaldo ties it at the last moment. He is freaking smug. So annoying.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Mexico/Germany match was really good... good chances, good plays, upsets are fun - though I was rooting for Germany.

scott43

Skier
Hey wait ! My brother coached Olympic T &F athletes. Some set Olympic/world records !
UTenn also won the NCAA Finals a few times on his watch.

On topic: Mexico just beat Germany.
Did he coach the chickens or the incontinent folks,??? :eek::eek::D

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ranking the upsets so far:

1) Iceland/Argentia tie Iceland rated #22, ties Argentina #5
2) Switzerland/Brazil tie Switzerland #6 ties Brazil #1
3) Mexico beats Germany Mexico #15 beats Germany #1

I love upsets.

VinnyRavager

Booting up
Skier
Ranking the upsets so far:

1) Iceland/Argentia tie Iceland rated #22, ties Argentina #5
2) Switzerland/Brazil tie Switzerland #6 ties Brazil #1
3) Mexico beats Germany Mexico #15 beats Germany #1

I love upsets.
This is, indeed, a World Cup full of surprises.