• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wide Skis, Sore Ankles?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The fix for me was doing bent knee calf stretches with the ball of my foot elevated. The goal here is to increase natural range of motion in your ankle and stretch your calf thus alleviating the flattening of your arch while driving your skis

Words to live by for any ankle intensive activity.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Words to live by for any ankle intensive activity.
Yup amazing how all our parts are connected and pain in one spot may be the result of poor flexibility or bio-mechanics in different areas

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I had similar pain this morning on only the right foot. Got to thinking back on yesterday's runs. I was having some issues with the skis bouncing. I was pressuring the skis too much and the downhill ski in particular would start to bounce around. Once I realized what I was doing, I fixed it, but it caused some grief today.

So I'm suspecting like a few others that technique could be at issue here. I was a 74mm underfoot.

dovski

Skier
I had similar pain this morning on only the right foot. Got to thinking back on yesterday's runs. I was having some issues with the skis bouncing. I was pressuring the skis too much and the downhill ski in particular would start to bounce around. Once I realized what I was doing, I fixed it, but it caused some grief today.

So I'm suspecting like a few others that technique could be at issue here. I was a 74mm underfoot.
I am not sure you can over pressure a ski, though I am sure those older and wiser may correct me on this :). I think the real challenge is that being forward in proper form on your skis is not a natural feeling especially on steep runs. Most skiers I see are not forward enough, or are forward but not hinging in the right way (i.e. bent over at the waist but not flexing the knees and ankles nearly enough). As you start to apply forward pressure and use your tips to initiate turns your body will adjust. The right stretching and flexibility definitely makes this feel much better :)

James

Out There
Instructor
Are you trying to ski on the balls of your feet? If so, stop that. Who plays sports in high heels?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you trying to ski on the balls of your feet? If so, stop that. Who plays sports in high heels?

You are lucky. I am short, very short. I needed all the help I can get.
Been looking at these for a while now. Would have jumped on it in a heart beat except I wanted four buckles. More manly.

Heel Lift on a Atomic Boot.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Been looking at these for a while now. Would have jumped on it in a heart beat except I wanted four buckles. More manly.

View attachment 69115
Is that the new Tripwalk sole I've been hearing so much about?

James

Out There
Instructor

View attachment 69115
Let me guess, you found that stumbling out of an après ski party at the St Bernard in Taos?

You need tech fittings with those.

dovski

Skier
No not at all :) but I am doing a better job of driving my knees and shoulders forward to create forward pressure and maintain better form. So essentially hinging better at the ankles, knees and waist.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pain in that location suggests to me trying pressure the inside edge while in the back seat. Does that ring true?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec

View attachment 69115

So the consensus is that these might not ski well, but would be great for après!! 2 votes at the bar this afternoon.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@CYJ - you have the same quiver as my boyfriend. He had the same pain transitioning from a pair of Sick Day 110s, but it eventually went away and never came back (probably after 2 weeks).

He picked up the Atrises after I was loving the Birdie version. I’d consider something narrower at some point, but in WA, the 108s do everything just fine.

dovski

Skier
Hey...walk a mile in my shoes. Go for it!
I spent 25 years walking in Canadian shoes, pretty sure I have several miles under my belt walking up hill both ways in waist deep snow to and from school :)

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Why can't men wear them, seems somewhat limited to assume that these boots are only for women ;)

This is a judgement free forum.
Go on ahead and rock it. If it floats your boat. Dude.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid