• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

why so many Volkl skis +-170mm for shortest available length?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The pr on the 121 seems to indicate this was Volkl’s attempt to get some buzz on a pro free ride ski. So along those lines they werent designed or built for mass market. I get the dilemma here though that’s cool you have so much snow that mid fat doesn’t cut it, although a 110 for a kid is like a 120 or more for an 180 lb adult?

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Two and three quarter inches. You are worried about two and three quarter inches.
Yes, one full size. Maybe skis shouldn't come in sizes?

It's not just that the skis will be longer than optimal for her, but they're going to get stiffer and heavier too.

Strictly speaking I'm not worried one bit, just find it weird the Revolt 104 and many other other Volkl ski don't come in size of smaller than 171 or 172.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
My 13 year old kid is gaga about her Volkl Revolt 95's. They are relatively flexy, heavy, very long effective edge for length. Stable, forgiving, grippy and fun. Forced her under protest to let mom ski them for one run on our 5 day trip to Red Mountain with 3 other families. Mom loves them too.

Kid loves them so much she won't ski anything else even if the short and low-tipped Revolt 95's are overwhelmed in deep pow and can hook the tip in crud. She'd rather scorpion than ski a different ski. So I looked at getting the lucky kid the Revolt 104's as well. Longer higher nose rocker, more of a freeride ski but same family traits as the 95. 172mm is the shortest length. Too long. In the 121 the shortest Revolt is 177mm!

Some other Volkl skis are similarly limited in shorter sizing.

Why? It's not like Volkl is a tiny company unable to spring for more molds etc. Don't they sell these skis to smaller people? And particularly women, who are on average smaller than men. I can't believe there just isn't a market of smaller people wanting certain Volkl skis. And particularly skis with a park bias that ski great all over the hill. Dug around the Volkl catalog and it's not like there's a Revolt 104 165mm branded as some other ski - it just doesn't exist.

Hmmm. What's the deal?

Cheers!

Well.... lessons. 95 underfoot for a 13yo overwhelmed in powder and hooking tips in crud. Or hope that gear will fix the issues you mention.. sorry for the tough love, but i have a 12 yo who needs better skills more than wider skis. :roflmao:

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
The pr on the 121 seems to indicate this was Volkl’s attempt to get some buzz on a pro free ride ski. So along those lines they werent designed or built for mass market. I get the dilemma here though that’s cool you have so much snow that mid fat doesn’t cut it, although a 110 for a kid is like a 120 or more for an 180 lb adult?
It's not so much the width of her Revolt 95's, it's that the tips have low rise and short rocker, and the camber is long. Quite remarkable actually how much my lazy style kid and nervous low intermediate wife like these skis given what on paper is and unforgiving shape. But by all reports they ski easy and catch free.

The low tips are the Achilles heel, in heavy snow off-piste they can hook. I'd like to get my kid a very similar ski but with a tip shape built a little more to plain over stuff.

I probably could find some soul riders pretty cheap, I bet she would like those

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
It's not so much the width of her Revolt 95's, it's that the tips have low rise and short rocker, and the camber is long. Quite remarkable actually how much my lazy style kid and nervous low intermediate wife like these skis given what on paper is and unforgiving shape. But by all reports they ski easy and catch free.

The low tips are the Achilles heel, in heavy snow off-piste they can hook. I'd like to get my kid a very similar ski but with a tip shape built a little more to plain over stuff.

I probably could find some soul riders pretty cheap, I bet she would like those

The mantra jr also has low tips, yet are a well loved favorite western kids all mountain ski that works very well.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well.... lessons. 95 underfoot for a 13yo overwhelmed in powder and hooking tips in crud. Or hope that gear will fix the issues you mention.. sorry for the tough love, but i have a 12 yo who needs better skills more than wider skis. :roflmao:
To her credit, the girl's skis have abrupt 4cm high tips, and she hooks one in 300 turns in Cascade concrete. I'm surprised that she doesn't hook her tips walking from the parking lot. She's skied since 3 and had many lessons. Now she skis kind of sleepy and relaxed, but graceful and natural. I'd rather tweak the gear and let her do her thing than ask her to think about her skiing like a golf swing. Plenty of time for that when she's old and bored.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
The mantra jr also has low tips, yet are a well loved favorite western kids all mountain ski that works very well.
She had those in the past too! Decent skis but sort of a generic kids ski. In similar size she liked the Katana Jr's much better right away.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is interesting, maybe if popularity grows they will move from a pro-team sized lineup to some smaller sizes too ....

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Well, sounds like she's had plenty coaching and lessons... but seriously, she's working on something to improve? I'd assume she is, no?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Soul Rider 97 or Menace 98 would be sideways steps to having the same issues as they are similar designs. There’s a reason all have now been changed to more modern tip shapes to accommodate softer or powder snow better.
Unleashed 98 the best bet for keeping a similar shape with updates Vs the MFree 99 that is much more tapered and splayed than the old version.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not going to beat this deal anytime soon! $479.99 CAN/$355 US on the Unleashed 98 or 98W in 168cm.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
164 Rustler?

Sponsor