• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do I Hate the Soul Rider?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
"How to use a forward mount?"
"Parky ski used in a parky manner with parky background?"
"And now for something completely bathetic?"
"Dropping cliffs on the toilet seat - why does my bum hurt?"

Seems unnecessarily harsh.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Wait, that was funny :D? Ok, I did chuckle. Now y'all know the Soul Rider pretty much wins the awards for being the best all mountain park ski? Presumably the love for such a thing is what we are talking about, especially since the OP asked for a bit of education based on her experiences.

Yes, but not why that would be necessary!

I didn't say it was necessary, but was drawing distinctions as to why someone might prefer a more centered mount vs. a more directional ski and what the pros and cons tend to be.

For the OP, the review of the Rocker2 108 on Blister might be very good reading...

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2012-2013-salomon-rocker-2-108

...because two different skiers review the ski, one who is a center balanced type and the other a more drive it from the tips type. They really get Into stance on this type of ski in this series of reviews (and mention the Soul Rider). You can follow the links to get to two subsequent reviews, and...there's a pic of skis together...but you'll have to read up because it's copyrighted...

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
And here is that same center balanced reviewer on the Soul Rider, which he appears to have skied for a whole season.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/update-2012-2013-nordica-soul-rider

Note that this reviewer does not agree with Josh on regards to super easy smeared turns - different skier types perhaps? And hide your eyes from the pic of powder skiing switch in a centered upright stance with the skis really close together :P.

To me, any time a reviewer is discussing stance on a ski (a key element missing from most reviews) and the words centered, upright, and balanced are used, the reader should pay a lot of attention, because if you don't like to ski upright, centered, and balanced you may find yourself well outside of the sweet spot of the ski...

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Now I'm completely confused! What does skiing with your feet together have to do with a center mount?

You guys are just f'ing with me, right?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Now I'm completely confused! What does skiing with your feet together have to do with a center mount?

You guys are just f'ing with me, right?

I'm f'ing with Josh. Because he asked a question he knows the answer to.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm f'ing with Josh. Because he asked a question he knows the answer to.

Oh, well, that's okay then. F away!

Reactions: nay

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Don't look for causation. Look for correlation.

Kinda like cultivation of nightshade family plants has nothing to do with development of high gluten levels in Chinese grains - until you invent spaghetti bolognese.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm on too much cold medication to follow complex thought.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Don't look for causation. Look for correlation.

Kinda like cultivation of nightshade family plants has nothing to do with development of high gluten levels in Chinese grains - until you invent spaghetti bolognese.

Hah! Nightshade plants combine with perceived gluten intolerance.

They don't have much to do with upright and centered skiing stance, though.

Hey, check out all that super smeary pivoty splay in the Soul Rider profile...

IMG_3661.JPG
IMG_3662.JPG

Last edited:
TS
SallyCat

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks again for all the feedback! I think the SRs are going to be good with a remount, base tune, and a look at the ramp angle. Most importantly, I need to correct a MASSIVE amount of operator error. I took a lesson yesterday that included video analysis, and it turns out that I suck. OMG. One of my many examples of suckitude was pushing my tails instead of completing turns, so I'm afraid I unfairly slandered the Soul Rider when I said the "tails catch." They wouldn't "catch" if I'd stop shoving them sideways into heavy snow.

Also on a lark, I demoed an Armada ARV 105 at 180cm, because it seemed fun in the mush, and I liked the idea of a middle-aged cat lady being allowed on some big-mountain cool-guy skis. I did feel compelled to tell everyone on every lift ride "These are not my skis!" It was actually a blast, and it did confirm that the 166s I'd been on were way too short. I suspected as much, but was afraid to go longer on account of my low skill level.

So I have every reason to believe the 177 Soul Riders will work for me, and that I'll enjoy them a lot more if I commit to more lessons and really working to correct my sucky ways.

Thanks for talking me off the "Sell Them Now" ledge!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
:beercheer:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I took a lesson yesterday that included video analysis, and it turns out that I suck. OMG. One of my many examples of suckitude was pushing my tails instead of completing turns, so I'm afraid I unfairly slandered the Soul Rider when I said the "tails catch." They wouldn't "catch" if I'd stop shoving them sideways into heavy snow.

You're in good company. Video is a harsh mistress.

So, you didn't think your old skis' tails caught. Do you think it just became apparent on a longer ski?

TS
SallyCat

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's an interesting question; I think yes. I felt it on the 180s ARVs a bit as well. I think I'm noticing it more in the thicker, heavier snow. In the video, I could literally see myself shoving my tails around on the 166s and I was getting away with it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's an interesting question; I think yes. I felt it on the 180s ARVs a bit as well. I think I'm noticing it more in the thicker, heavier snow. In the video, I could literally see myself shoving my tails around on the 166s and I was getting away with it.

*nod*

I had a similar/different discovery on my Volkl Twos, which were the longest ski I've ever bought (the "rocker makes it ski shorter" idea only applies in certain conditions - not in powder), and very heavy. I have a habit of lifting my inside foot in challenging snow or when I need to make a tight turn (ie, trees). I know the mechanics of why I'm doing it, and I'm working on it, but it's a process. Anyway, the combination of a heavier, longer ski meant that when I picked that inside foot up, I wasn't able to twist it to match the outside ski's angle (or the ski was just long enough to allow them to intersect), so I kept crossing my tips. Sometimes I could save it; other times I landed on my face. And of course, it was a vicious circle where my technique flaws tired me out, and then being tired would make it even harder to ski well, etc.

In my case, I decided it wasn't worth the struggle. I have the same flaw on all skis; I can work on fixing the issue without getting punished quite so badly for it. A couple of face-first falls, or near misses, in the trees convinced me that it wasn't worth it.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
And here is that same center balanced reviewer on the Soul Rider, which he appears to have skied for a whole season.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/update-2012-2013-nordica-soul-rider

Note that this reviewer does not agree with Josh on regards to super easy smeared turns - different skier types perhaps? And hide your eyes from the pic of powder skiing switch in a centered upright stance with the skis really close together :P.

To me, any time a reviewer is discussing stance on a ski (a key element missing from most reviews) and the words centered, upright, and balanced are used, the reader should pay a lot of attention, because if you don't like to ski upright, centered, and balanced you may find yourself well outside of the sweet spot of the ski...

firsy my guess is the 185 being smeared on softed crud is fine.... with that said he totally agrees with me on groomer performance. I am compariing the soul Riders crud ability to skis like the Bonafide, E93, and El capo. All skis that if I knew I was skiing crud I owuld pick of the Soul Rider.

I also want to not that skis do care how you normally stand. How stand is predeterminded by your body type and if your boots are aligned or not. Most people who are "upright" are usually just misaligned in the fore and aft plane.

TS
SallyCat

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
One more question:
I measured the difference between the heel and toe height on the SRs to be 2mm heel-high. I assume that means that I might benefit from a 2mm toe shim. Can anyone confirm or recommend otherwise? Thanks!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Find new ski shop -- Quickly.

Correct railed tune and consider re-mount (see all the good comments above).

The rest will follow (and lessons are a great idea -- heel pushing can be a tough habit to break, and it is an EXHAUSTING way to ski).

Sponsor

Staff online