• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why do I Hate the Soul Rider?

TS
SallyCat

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
UPDATE:
I had the bases ground flat and the bindings moved to the normal "all mountain" point. In the meantime, I also took a lesson that was very helpful and have been aggressively practicing. I'm making much better turns now.
Toward the end of the day yesterday, I took the Soul Riders out for a test spin. Well, I was just going to do a couple of get-to-know-you runs, but I had so much fun I ended up skiing for another two hours. The snow wasn't even ideal for the skis--granular over boilerplate, mostly--but the SRs have great edge hold and the camber felt similar to my regular skis (Kendos) in terms of the pop of energy from turn to turn. I bought them for smearing around in spring slush, so was definitely surprised at how fun they were on Pennsylvania hardpack. Oh, and 177 turns out to be a great length: they feel really stable going fast.
So thanks again for all of the great advice! I'm now back in love with the Soul Riders!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One more question:
I measured the difference between the heel and toe height on the SRs to be 2mm heel-high. I assume that means that I might benefit from a 2mm toe shim. Can anyone confirm or recommend otherwise? Thanks!

2mm difference is minimal, I wouldn't worry to much about it especially since you are probably in a boot 24.5 or greater, the larger the boot, the less 2mm will effect your stance.

UPDATE:
I had the bases ground flat and the bindings moved to the normal "all mountain" point. In the meantime, I also took a lesson that was very helpful and have been aggressively practicing. I'm making much better turns now.
Toward the end of the day yesterday, I took the Soul Riders out for a test spin. Well, I was just going to do a couple of get-to-know-you runs, but I had so much fun I ended up skiing for another two hours. The snow wasn't even ideal for the skis--granular over boilerplate, mostly--but the SRs have great edge hold and the camber felt similar to my regular skis (Kendos) in terms of the pop of energy from turn to turn. I bought them for smearing around in spring slush, so was definitely surprised at how fun they were on Pennsylvania hardpack. Oh, and 177 turns out to be a great length: they feel really stable going fast.
So thanks again for all of the great advice! I'm now back in love with the Soul Riders!

Congrats. Glad to hear you are on the right track.

TS
SallyCat

SallyCat

Getting off the lift
Skier
Oh, and do remember your experience here at your next demo day.
Do you mean that if I don't enjoy a ski, it might be the tune or mount position? I demoed a Head Monster 88 and Elan Amphibio recently and was so appalled at the lousy edge grip I wondered if the shop deliberately detuned them or something. Seriously couldn't wait to get off them and back on my Kendos (which I wax, deburr, and sharpen myself, so I always know what's what with them).

Sponsor

Staff online