• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why are skis so wide?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Threads about 'why wide skis' usually breaks into two sub-threads. One for people east of the Mississippi (including the remainder of the Midwest) and those to the left of the Miss.

My daily driver is a 98mm 188cm ski that suits the groomers in CO just fine 95% of the time. I can tip and rip, I can smear and I can float on whatever the mountain offers on them. If there is no off-piste, I'm probably on a 65 mm race ski. If there is no groom, I'm on 120 mm or so. Discussing skis and their appropriateness must include the context of desired results and current conditions.

With all due respect to the OP, I must be looking to increase my post count or bored because I can't think of a really good reason for posting in yet another wide ski thread.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@anders_nor's post about having skis in the car to match the conditions reminds me of this gem. If you can match have your skis handy, why not? I'd love to ski an hour on my SLs, then hop on my 98s and when they drop the rope get out my 120s. Power to you anders! I'll bet your friends' eyes just get wider and wider as you get them on the next condition-appropriate ski!

171201 - ski quiver cartoon ec169956076e0ec0cbc4701cec199b7e--snowboard-skiing.jpg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@anders_nor's post about having skis in the car to match the conditions reminds me of this gem. If you can match have your skis handy, why not? I'd love to ski an hour on my SLs, then hop on my 98s and when they drop the rope get out my 120s. Power to you anders! I'll bet your friends' eyes just get wider and wider as you get them on the next condition-appropriate ski!

View attachment 127421

It is not as complicated as it may seem. If you ski same mountain and your car is 20m from the bottom lift station and you carry 3 pairs of ski anyway, not a problem.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is not as complicated as it may seem. If you ski same mountain and your car is 20m from the bottom lift station and you carry 3 pairs of ski anyway, not a problem.
I live in a ski town, but take the bus. So for me it is a non-starter. When I begin to travel for skiing, I'll have the whole kit and caboodle with me and I'll be styling. I did do the ski swap thing at the Basin, but alas, I don't have a pass with the Basin anymore.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m at Bachelor this week, we got 4” overnight, so I started the day on my Woodsman 102’s, went to the car for lunch and pulled the Z90’s out of the roof box for the afternoon after everything got skied out. I could have happily skied all day on either pair, but I had the better tool for the conditions available, so I was even happier.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe if manufacturers made more "all-mountain" friendly construction for higher level skiers in narrower widths, more people would buy them. As it is right now, it's pretty hard to find a ski under 80mm under foot that has the same construction as a ski over 80mm that also has the same shape and ability to smear when you want, carve when you want, without it folding up like a wet noodle if you push it.

That being said, we've had some very scratchy conditions as of late with a lot of very warm days (50 degrees+ on mountain, freezing overnight) and I took a peek at what people were skiing, and most were 100mm+. My go-to ski for 99% of days is an 88, but I do long for something narrower with similar construction. I have narrower skis that are a hoot on groomers, but are a handful for me off-piste.

Give me a shorter, full-camber or minimal rocker ski, sub-80mm under foot, that allows for mistakes off-piste but has some chops to it and I'd be interested. Nordica is introducing a rehashed Belle series, with some sub-80s widths, but I wonder what level those skis are targeted for. My early research indicates that only the 84 would be enough ski to make me happy.

The narrowest ski I've been on this season was 73 under foot. Man was it fun on the groomers, but too stiff for me off-piste.
My wife is digging the Blossom N°1 Lady. She skied it well in what I would consider challenging conditions at Mt. Bachelor without a problem. It's probably not the best for off-piste but it worked for her at 67 underfoot.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier

View attachment 127421
haha thats me! sometimes car is less than 20 meters from lift when I ski local resort :D in bigger mountains we sometimes have to walk as much as 2-300 meters, such a hard life. I love SL and GS mornings before crowds hit in the mountain and people sober up from après, but you cant really go GS speeds with people around, and when the après friends wakeup, they dont really feel like going mach1, so something more mellow.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife is digging the Blossom N°1 Lady. She skied it well in what I would consider challenging conditions at Mt. Bachelor without a problem. It's probably not the best for off-piste but it worked for her at 67 underfoot.
I loved the Augment 77 last year, although didn't get it off piste to speak of. I just can't pay a premium price for those premium skis. I've definitely discovered a love of low rocker/full camber, narrower skis that are shorter than what I normally ski.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Threads about 'why wide skis' usually breaks into two sub-threads. One for people east of the Mississippi (including the remainder of the Midwest) and those to the left of the Miss.
Take this as an East coast perspective:

If I hear "My skis are amazing, I love them", "I suck, I am so unathletic", "I have fear issues" all from the same person odds are they are skiing some seriously fat ski on New England ice. I don't know what it is, but there is something about very wide skis that obviously just feels good to some people even if it is obviously not doing them any favors.

Umm, and yes there is are gender differences here, there are exceptions but that is more likely to be a woman. Guys are more likely to like their equipment if it makes them feel like a good athlete (emphasis on feel here, I am not discussing whether it does or not). So if a guy is on a wider ski, chances are it actually makes them feel like a better skier (my skis are great, so am I). As long as they are not endangering themselves or others, considering this is recreation, why not feel good about yourself? I like carving skis because they make me feel like an athlete - no you are not getting video, I do not need an objective opinion, I know that what felt like a high angle high G turn may have looked somewhat sad, but so what? But if you are one of the "my skis are amazing , I suck" people, just be aware that is one of the signs of an abusive relationship.

I'll sign off now and put myself in the corner...:(

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier

YES ! When I go to Lookout Pass I park 1 ft. from the snow and ski 20yards over to the lift. If the conditions are variable or changing I take 2 or 3 pair of skis. 40 sec switch to new/different skis in my truck.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty much this.
I was on the @Augment Skis AM77 on the same day and was happy at how well it handled the off piste conditions.
Granted, it wasn't a huge dump but it wasn't zoomer groomers either.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
@AmyPJ have you ever demoed Liberty V76? I used to think narrow skis are all either very unforgiving or too soft, or good ones are very pricey like Stockli Laser AX. V76 are forgiving and do well on ice and softer snow, super fun in bumps and are budget friendly. I still would like to demo Laser AX at some point but I do love the V76 I have now.

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
Pretty much this.
I was on the @Augment Skis AM77 on the same day and was happy at how well it handled the off piste conditions.
Granted, it wasn't a huge dump but it wasn't zoomer groomers either.

Thank you, Tricia. We also just received the same feedback from a customer in Montana today. He bought All-Mountain 77s and the Race Carver SL for himself, and All-Mountain 88s for his wife and daughter to ski.

"Thought I would let you know I have a number of days on the AM 77s. They are simply the best ski I have ever been on. I have skied powder, crud, ice and packed powder on this one ski, it shines everywhere. They arc like a race ski and then are forgiving in the bumps, wow! My wife and daughters are on the AM 88 and have the same reaction. My daughter Kayla (level 3 instructor) skied them at Jackson last week and had a lot of folks asking about them."

Sponsor

Staff online