• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Why are skis so wide?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ have you ever demoed Liberty V76? I used to think narrow skis are all either very unforgiving or too soft, or good ones are very pricey like Stöckli Laser AX. V76 are forgiving and do well on ice and softer snow, super fun in bumps and are budget friendly. I still would like to demo Laser AX at some point but I do love the V76 I have now.
Yes, and I picked up a pair of the inexpensive V82s and am not smitten. They have a fresh tune on them, too.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you, Tricia. We also just received the same feedback from a customer in Montana today. He bought All-Mountain 77s and the Race Carver SL for himself, and All-Mountain 88s for his wife and daughter to ski.

"Thought I would let you know I have a number of days on the AM 77s. They are simply the best ski I have ever been on. I have skied powder, crud, ice and packed powder on this one ski, it shines everywhere. They arc like a race ski and then are forgiving in the bumps, wow! My wife and daughters are on the AM 88 and have the same reaction. My daughter Kayla (level 3 instructor) skied them at Jackson last week and had a lot of folks asking about them."
I'll let @Andy Mink tell you about his day at Squaw yesterday on the AM77.
:D

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought about this thread when I skied at Killington yesterday, 55deg and mostly sunny. I had three skis in the box. Race skis (72mm), Carving skis (78mm), and twin tips (101mm). Figured I ski my Laser AX's (78mm wide) since they are a very versatile ski. I started a bit late, and took one run on them in the very soft snow that was on its way to melting into slush. The AX's were controllable and skiable, but they were cleaving the snow and sinking into it. Didn't feel great in those conditions. Quick trip to the car and out came the 101mm wide Ski Logik Chariots. An oldie but goodie. A fully cambered twin tip with very wide tips and tails to go along with the 101mm underfoot. Perfection. They rode on top of the snow, no cleaving on carves, just smooth turns, and all the small clumps of snow on the trail were hardly felt.

That is why skis are so wide, even on the ice coast, we still have spring on our coast. Granted you have to get it while it lasts, and it can change quick. One of the skiers in my group was on 85mm skis and asked what does it take to make skiing more enjoyable in this heavy mushy snow, my answer: wider skis. Its about the right tool for the job and deciding how big a tool box you want to have. ;)

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
@anders_nor's post about having skis in the car to match the conditions reminds me of this gem. If you can match have your skis handy, why not? I'd love to ski an hour on my SLs, then hop on my 98s and when they drop the rope get out my 120s. Power to you anders! I'll bet your friends' eyes just get wider and wider as you get them on the next condition-appropriate ski!

I've done it quite often when staying ski in/out, particularly in a trip back to the condo for coffee or lunch or pick up a straggler. Something useful about having a couple of hours on SLs while it's boilerplate then getting on something wider or a snowboard when it starts to corn up. I've done it a few times when parked conveniently in the US - Mammoth at the Mill or Far East at Squaw or Kweed generally spring to mind but generally dirtbag parking options are making it less and less feasible and its often not really worth the transit from where you are.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
With the growth and improvement in grooming by resorts. Most runs had been transformed into a slightly tilted two dimensional canvas for skiers. Great for two dimensional turns.
The advent of fat skis allows the skiers to float on top of the soft snow. Reducing the 3D snow to 2D snow. Basically all that is required of the skiers being on top of the snow are two dimensional turns.

The proliferation of two dimensional turns is adequate for most skier to deal most in resort snow conditions. What really screws the pooch is when the terrain turns 3D. Then a true 3D turn is required.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Yes, and I picked up a pair of the inexpensive V82s and am not smitten. They have a fresh tune on them, too.
Hmm not sure if V76 ski differently then V82? I also went shorter on mine too. I got 172 cm, though it;s on a shorter side of things for me (I'm 6'1"), not sure if the length makes a difference. To each their own I guess.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm not sure if V76 ski differently then V82? I also went shorter on mine too. I got 172 cm, though it;s on a shorter side of things for me (I'm 6'1"), not sure if the length makes a difference. To each their own I guess.
I went short, too. It could be the bindings I put on which have more delta than I care for. I’ll ski them again before I give up on them.

Sponsor

Staff online