• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Which Ikon pass resort in March? (novice and want close accomdation)

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
I'd say Copper.

I'm also surprised to learn that WP has the better village that Copper. I didn't visit the full WP village when I was there, but my impression it was really small.

Having Frisco nearby for sure puts Copper in the lead between the two though.

That said, if Breckenridge is an option my opinion is it's by far the best ski town in CO (I'm solidly middle class, Aspen just isn't my thing). I like the skiing is better at Copper though, due to Breckenridge's shorter 1000-1500ft vert runs.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
My favorite part of Copper is really the advanced to expert terrian, it is underrated and in its own area. You can get over there and escape most of the crowds, harder to do that at WP. Copper has the best layout of any resort I have been to.

If you are an intermediate to beginner though not sure any Colorado resort is going to better than any of the others when it comes to crowds, I will say Copper does better at handling crowds than WP or Vail. I have never been to Breck so can't really say much about it.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd offer a bit of a wild card - how about staying in Frisco where the kids can use the tubing park/ maybe a hotel pool etc and do short snowy hikes etc and the skiers bus it to Copper. Would also allow the non ski contingent to go have a day out in Breck by bus or drive plus shopping at SIlverthorne if that's anyone's bag..
I second staying in Frisco. There are shuttles so you don’t absolutely have to drive to the resort and there will be much more in terms of entertainment for the non skiers.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
My favorite part of Copper is really the advanced to expert terrian, it is underrated and in its own area. You can get over there and escape most of the crowds, harder to do that at WP. Copper has the best layout of any resort I have been to.

If you are an intermediate to beginner though not sure any Colorado resort is going to better than any of the others when it comes to crowds, I will say Copper does better at handling crowds than WP or Vail. I have never been to Breck so can't really say much about it.
Agreed! A few years ago my friend who can't get away other than Presidents Day long weekend said he lapped the Super Bee chair all weekend and crowds were a complete non-factor. If the group can improve enough to ski this chair they're set.

I second staying in Frisco. There are shuttles so you don’t absolutely have to drive to the resort and there will be much more in terms of entertainment for the non skiers.
With Frisco being a hub, I think a day trip to Breckenridge is easily doable without a transfer. Find out where the hub is and find a place walking distance to there.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Keep in mind that in March spring break is underway. Copper will have 3 lifts that more than likely will be busy. Unfortunately one of them, Timberline, does service the easy blue runs. So it's possible there will be lines for that lift depending on week and days you are there. There is always the option of purchasing a day fast tracks pass to avoid long waits. If there are any. No clue on the daily cost for next season.

I would highly recommend that beginners and even advanced beginners start out in west village. There is good terrain for you to have a great time. You can work your way eastward as you get comfortable. Definitely need to read the grooming report if you want to avoid the bump runs. The blues east of Eagle lift and Main Vein are definitely more challenging.

Earlier I mentioned that both Breck and Vail are close by because of them being well known ski towns. I agree that Frisco/Silverthorne have a lot to offer also. I should mention that there is an outlet mall in Silverthorne that the non skiers could probably spend a lot of time at. I'm not sure of what the road construction will be like this winter. Several projects going on.

James

Out There
Instructor
Is Frisco really that much of a town for non skiers? Staying there in May a few times, I didn’t get that sense of much. But that was a while ago.
The only one I could see of interest, and walkable, is Breckebridge. Though maybe not at a peak week.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The small towns near Winter Park had some cool shops / bars /restaurants. The last time I was there was before Covid, so who knows what is there now.

I agree with @James that Breck is the best town qua town.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Frisco has shops and restaurants along a very walkable Main St.. Had breakfast at Bread and Salt last week and it was very much back to normal (read crowded) and there were plenty of people walking on Main St. early morning. I think Frisco is great for walking around in the summer. Winter time? I guess it depends. Definitely stuff for people to explore including some historical. Me? I figure people would enjoy the winter snow ski vibe feel of a Breck or Vail way more.

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know...I love Steamboat. Awesome town. Awesome resort. Not TOO much further of a drive, and at least the majority of it isn't in traffic (assuming that extra flight segment is out of the question.)

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't know...I love Steamboat.
Steamboat would be perfect, but connecting flight, and he’s talking mid March when it might be too warm?

Except for crowds, Breck looked like it had great blue cruisers for the op. But it’s epic pass. Don’t know about the greens. @Doug Briggs ?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
from the top?

No greens from any above treeline summit. Peak 9 has no actual greens but does have pretty easy blues from the top of Beaver Run and Mercury. Same for Peak 8's Colorado chair. Indy chair on 9 not so much. Definitely not Peak 10 or 6.

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
expanding the box, but staying in Ikon,...Palisades Tahoe has a great green zone, top of mountain. Best views a beginner would ever see. (I may have a little bias toward my home hill, however.)

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
mid march - thanks

What are realistic line at any of these places that time of year (likely sun-wed)
'
Maybe I was spoiled when I went to Deer Valley and literally had no wait 80% of the time
Ive skied Winter Park and Copper in March the last couple of years. Last year we went to Copper with a diverse group like you will have. We loved Copper. We stayed right on the slopes on the far edge so we were able to navigate the mountain without ever getting in a lift line. The Lumberjack lift right there is very slow but it was relaxing. It was also nice to have a long green run next to the condo for the beginners and kids. The only time we ever had to wait was if we went to the main lifts American eagle and American Flyer and even then it was only on the weekend when the Subaru Winter fest was going on. During the week there wasnt even a line at those. As far as Winter Parks village being better if it is its not by much. Plus you can drive a few minutes to Frisco for more options. We also did a day trip to A-Basin which was great. I enjoyed Winter Park but I liked Copper much better.

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
I would lean Copper, I think they have the better mix of terrian for your ability levels. WP does have a better base village area but really both aren't all that amazing. Could do the short drive to Silverthorne/Frisco for more entertainment/dining options from Copper, you could also make the short drive to A-Basin if you feel adventureous one day.

With that said, Steamboat I think would be a better fit since it checks basically every box and will likely be less crowded, the only issue I have had with crowds there is at the base area.
I am planning a trip March 6-12th with a group of beginner kids and strong intermediate adults with one really good snowboarder. Ive never been to Steamboat but would really love to go. How is the snow traditionally this time of year? I honestly dont mind a little spring slush if its not too bad.

MOUNTAINGIRL630

Booting up
Skier
Options are Winter Park, Copper Mountain, A-Basin, Steamboat, Eldora Mountain Resort, and Aspen (would require a $200 upgrade fee)

About us - there will be 5 adults - 1 very beginner (green only), 1 advanced beginner (green and easy blues), and one average snowboarder, one adult non-skiier, and one grandma. Three little ones that don't ski (3 years old, and 2 x 6 year olds).

Wants
1. Walk to slopes, or a short convenient shuttle.
2. Nice beginner runs, not just cat tracks, the longer the better (going to Big Sky in January - but I know most places don't compete with the long runs they have) - have skied Deer Valley - and loved it - rest of skiing has been east coast / mid-atlantic.
3. At least some activities to keep the little ones busy during the day so the non-skiing adults won't get bored and hate us. Nothing fancy, even just playing in the snow will be fun since non-of us live in snow states.
4. We likely would go for a condo, vrbo type of place - not a hotel room
5. Avoid crowds, a few minute wait at the lifts are OK, but if we have to wait over 5 minutes more than just the beginning rush, I get annoyed (in NC - I have waited 20 minutes for a 2 minute ski run- yuck
6. Prefer a direct flight to Denver and drive, not against a connecting flight- but would have to be a significantly better experience, or cheaper lodging.

That being said, I am guessing I am down to Copper or Winter park.

1. eldora - not really a trave ski destination - no housing at mtn
2. A-basin - no housing nearby
3. Steamboat - requires a connection = not sure of housing costs, but appears to have decent beginner runs?
4. Aspen- always strikes me a a "fancy" place I grew up dreaming of going- but requires a connection - and I think more expensive than others? But likely more activities for the non-skiiers. Would we be able to avoid having a rental car in either here or Steamboat that can make up the extra cost of the connection?

So that leaves me with Copper or Winter - I think Winter has a nicer village from what I have heard? How does the skiing compare for someone in our beginner territory? Prices?

Other options that might work for us that are non-ikon pass? Would need something really good or less $$ in housing to make up for having to pay for lift tickets.

Thanks in advance all!

cheer
DP
We have 4 mountains in Aspen/Snowmass.
Buttermilk is fantastic for kids and beginners. We have a separate building and ski are for 6 and under there. If you have someone who does not ski, you cannot beat Aspen because we have a real town at the base. Snowmass would be cheaper in terms of housing. You do not have to have a car. We have FREE bus services to all four mountains.
Winterpark can be very cold.
Copper does not have much town activities. Also, you need a car.

We are well known for the shortest wait in line except between Christmas and New Year's and thr President’s day holiday.
Most of the time, pretty much no wait whatsoever. I come into the line and ski right through to a chair.

They were running a great deal recently. Not sure if it is over.... $95 daily lift ticket was part of the deal when you book the entire trip through them.

Just don't got to Vail. All you would be doing, during the weekend specially, standing in line. They had a record time last season, more than 2 hours. Wherever Vail Corp is behind, most likely crazy busy. They are going to sell even more than last season. It will be a "Chistmas eve shopping in the mall" like madness in chair line.

Www.Aspensnowmass.com

Last edited:

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
You don't need a car at Copper if you are staying in the village. A free bus takes you around the village, and another takes you to Frisco. The village is a nice size and fun for little ones.
agree, but restaurants shut down supper early

Sponsor

Staff online