• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Which Ikon pass resort in March? (novice and want close accomdation)

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
Options are Winter Park, Copper Mountain, A-Basin, Steamboat, Eldora Mountain Resort, and Aspen (would require a $200 upgrade fee)

About us - there will be 5 adults - 1 very beginner (green only), 1 advanced beginner (green and easy blues), and one average snowboarder, one adult non-skiier, and one grandma. Three little ones that don't ski (3 years old, and 2 x 6 year olds).

Wants
1. Walk to slopes, or a short convenient shuttle.
2. Nice beginner runs, not just cat tracks, the longer the better (going to Big Sky in January - but I know most places don't compete with the long runs they have) - have skied Deer Valley - and loved it - rest of skiing has been east coast / mid-atlantic.
3. At least some activities to keep the little ones busy during the day so the non-skiing adults won't get bored and hate us. Nothing fancy, even just playing in the snow will be fun since non-of us live in snow states.
4. We likely would go for a condo, vrbo type of place - not a hotel room
5. Avoid crowds, a few minute wait at the lifts are OK, but if we have to wait over 5 minutes more than just the beginning rush, I get annoyed (in NC - I have waited 20 minutes for a 2 minute ski run- yuck
6. Prefer a direct flight to Denver and drive, not against a connecting flight- but would have to be a significantly better experience, or cheaper lodging.

That being said, I am guessing I am down to Copper or Winter park.

1. eldora - not really a trave ski destination - no housing at mtn
2. A-basin - no housing nearby
3. Steamboat - requires a connection = not sure of housing costs, but appears to have decent beginner runs?
4. Aspen- always strikes me a a "fancy" place I grew up dreaming of going- but requires a connection - and I think more expensive than others? But likely more activities for the non-skiiers. Would we be able to avoid having a rental car in either here or Steamboat that can make up the extra cost of the connection?

So that leaves me with Copper or Winter - I think Winter has a nicer village from what I have heard? How does the skiing compare for someone in our beginner territory? Prices?

Other options that might work for us that are non-ikon pass? Would need something really good or less $$ in housing to make up for having to pay for lift tickets.

Thanks in advance all!

cheer
DP

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
With the caveat that I'm a New Englander and did no love Deer Valley the few times I've been there, but do love a good green groomer...

- Copper and Winter Park both have nice green/blue groomed cruisers. I've only been late-ish April, but Copper I think has the edge for variety of greens. Neither has a true top to bottom green (so much as there's a "top" to either mountain), but the runs are long.

- Copper and A-basin are actually quite near each other if you wanted to do a day trip expedition, but A-basin doesn't have much good beginner terrain. Also easy day trip to Loveland which is not on Ikon.

- Winter Park indeed has a nicer village. Fun mountain, also has some steep groomers and bumps for the "average" snowboarder if they're so inclined. Driving to/from Denver can be an adventure if you're not good with switchbacked roads and/or heights.

- Aspen, I would skip. You wouldn't have to rent a car, but housing is $$$ unless you rent a condo out in Basalt/Carbondale. Very nice place, but you'll spend a lot of money and not make the most of the terrain they have to offer.

All these places will have short lift lines coming from the east.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not on your list, but might consider Alta/Snowbird.

Alta has good beginner terrain on the Albion side and some easy blues on the Collins side. Most of Snowbird is not easy, but the Baldy lift is, and that is where the connection of the two areas is.

Usually really good snow conditions.

Most condos are at Snowbird.

You did not say which version of Ikon. Alta requires Base Plus or Full.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Steamboat has more charm than Copper or WP, especially for non-skiers because of the nice town. There are plenty of slopeside condos at Steamboat. The drive from DIA to Steamboat is only about an hour longer than the other two. Are you talking early March? All would be ok in early Mar, Copper starts to look better if late Mar due to better snow preservation.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I think you are basically describing Buttermilk but then if cost is in any way a factor then few would say the upgrade premium on the pass is worth it just to ski buttermilk

TS
D

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
I think Steamboat has more charm than Copper or WP, especially for non-skiers because of the nice town. There are plenty of slopeside condos at Steamboat. The drive from DIA to Steamboat is only about an hour longer than the other two. Are you talking early March? All would be ok in early Mar, Copper starts to look better if late Mar due to better snow preservation.
mid march - thanks

What are realistic line at any of these places that time of year (likely sun-wed)
'
Maybe I was spoiled when I went to Deer Valley and literally had no wait 80% of the time

TS
D

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
Not on your list, but might consider Alta/Snowbird.

Alta has good beginner terrain on the Albion side and some easy blues on the Collins side. Most of Snowbird is not easy, but the Baldy lift is, and that is where the connection of the two areas is.

Usually really good snow conditions.

Most condos are at Snowbird.

You did not say which version of Ikon. Alta requires Base Plus or Full.
I got the base, but I could upgrade if worth it- I could consider utah again, but was wanting to mix it up a little - both SLC and DIA are available direct for all of us.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a thought, but 6 yo is a perfect age to learn to ski. My kids were in all day ski lessons at that age. Any ski school should have a program and coaches who work with first graders every day. So don't sleep on getting the kids engaged.

Alta/bird and Powder Mountain are also really good beginner mountains here equal to DV. But both have the typical UT logistical challenges.

May consider sun valley as well. Dollar mountain.

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
About us - there will be 5 adults - 1 very beginner (green only), 1 advanced beginner (green and easy blues), and one average snowboarder, one adult non-skiier, and one grandma. Three little ones that don't ski (3 years old, and 2 x 6 year olds).

From a skiing perspective, Copper would be a fun experience for the skiers and boarder. Really good green and easy blue terrain for everyone. Don't have to worry about cat tracks and there would only be 1 run (green) with an extended flat section. That can be avoided also. There is Rendezvous lift that takes you up to a pretty scenic spot and open meadow type skiing down. If you really wanted to see the backside that includes Tucker and Copper Bowl you could take Otto Bahn down and around to check it out and then take a very old school lift, Blackjack, back up. You would need to be comfortable on that old school 2 person stuff but getting off is ok. Also be aware Otto Bahn is a cat track on the upper section. Yes, the snow is typically pretty good still in March but we all know how the weather has been so.

For the non skier 6 yr olds. There are a few things to do like the tubing hill, ice skating, the sledding and snow man building area. Have to bring your own sled but those are available all over the place. There is a snow maze. Not sure about the mountain coaster. I believe all of the kids can ride but will need to be with an adult. I think the minimum age for a "driver" is 9 yr old.

Now for the village. Really hard to say what it will be like during the winter. Especially from the restaurant perspective. Will there be enough shopping to keep everyone busy for a few days? Probably not. Both Breck and Vail are about 20 miles away. You can get to Breck via the bus. Not sure about Vail for the upcoming winter. There are shuttle services you could also use.

Feel free to ping me with any specific questions ogsmile

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I recall when we were starting to ski many years ago. We also took 2 sets of grand kids to Copper last year. Here is what I have learned.
1) The west side of copper is good for your crew. Copper condos can get expensive and the bus can be more than a block away. The lessons offered were good for adults but the area for teaching 3-5 yr olds is very lacking unless you spring for private lessons. After taking our 3 and 5 yr old grand kids and parents in Dec. we did re-up for the 8 and 11 yr old grand kids and their parents for spring break.
2) Not too long ago we also went to Keystone with the older grand kids - then 3 and 5 yrs. Even though you have the IKON pass, Keystone may be cheaper and your condo may be closer to a lift. Keystone also has some good beginner terrain (family runs). I have the IKON but this year I'm going to look at Keystone for a family trip. Keystone has, in the past offered free or cheap kid lift tics when renting a condo.
3) Tromono suggested Powder Mountain. I would second that suggestion. There is an abundance of green and blue terrain at Powder Mountain. You will not get in trouble there. As long as you are going in early March, the snow should be good. Don't know much about the condo or rental house situation at Powder Mountain and after skiing restaurant choices are very limited unless you make the trip back to Ogden. Powder mountain is not nearly as high as Copper or Keystone and the snow can get slushy if your trip is late March.

James

Out There
Instructor
Avoid crowds, a few minute wait at the lifts are OK, but if we have to wait over 5 minutes more than just the beginning rush, I get annoyed

Maybe I was spoiled when I went to Deer Valley and literally had no wait 80% of the time
That was before Ikon?
Sounds like you’re going during Spring Break. If lines are really a big issue, the Ikon mountains, except Aspen, might not be the best.
You just have to live with whatever the lines are, (prob won’t be too bad), unless you’re willing to go to a place like Telluride or Sun Valley.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Check out Granby Ranch. Not on Ikon but you could be able to find ski in/ski out for the Ranch itself and you are 25 min from Winter Park. Approximately 1 hour to Steamboat, (and the back country area "Bluebird" I think) and the I-70/US 6/CO 9 interchange at Silverthorne.

TS
D

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
Just a thought, but 6 yo is a perfect age to learn to ski. My kids were in all day ski lessons at that age. Any ski school should have a program and coaches who work with first graders every day. So don't sleep on getting the kids engaged.

Alta/bird and Powder Mountain are also really good beginner mountains here equal to DV. But both have the typical UT logistical challenges.

May consider sun valley as well. Dollar mountain.
I get it - those are not my kiddos - so not my decision - but agree with you!

TS
D

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
That was before Ikon?
Sounds like you’re going during Spring Break. If lines are really a big issue, the Ikon mountains, except Aspen, might not be the best.
You just have to live with whatever the lines are, (prob won’t be too bad), unless you’re willing to go to a place like Telluride or Sun Valley.
it was actually last year - mid february - it was amazingly awesome to have no waits!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For the easy accessibility of a lot of beginner and intermediate terrain, Copper is really nice. The runs are pretty long for those types of trails, and there are a lot of tree-lined runs, so it helps with visibility if it does snow. The other thing is the beginner and intermediate terrain at Copper is separated nicely from the upper-intermediate and advanced/expert terrain. The 3 base villages at Copper are mostly condos, if you really want some more interesting places for dinning and shopping it's a short drive to Frisco/Silverthorne.

Winter Park is nice because they have the High Lonesome chair which has some easy beginner terrain higher up the mountain. That said, there are really only a couple of lifts that have decent terrain for beginners; once people are at intermediate levels there is much more fun terrain available. Frasier is an interesting town adjacent to Winter Park, so it has that going for it, but for the skiing experience with the group you've described I'd lean towards Copper.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would lean Copper, I think they have the better mix of terrian for your ability levels. WP does have a better base village area but really both aren't all that amazing. Could do the short drive to Silverthorne/Frisco for more entertainment/dining options from Copper, you could also make the short drive to A-Basin if you feel adventureous one day.

With that said, Steamboat I think would be a better fit since it checks basically every box and will likely be less crowded, the only issue I have had with crowds there is at the base area.

TS
D

dred pirate

Booting up
Skier
what is all your thoughts on Breckenridge for me?

I know we would not be able to use the IKON pass that two of us have bought, so would have to budget $400 or so for lift tickets, but housing looks significantly less expensive and would make up for that .

1. WIll Breck be crazy crowded? Like how long would one expect to wait midweek on the lift lines?
2. It looks like mostly blues, very few greens - especially top to bottom, which I am OK with, but would likely cause frustration with my wife.

We are going mid-march, so I keep haring steamboat has a much higher likelyhood of being slush - so leaning towards WP or Copper, unless there is another non-ikon resort that I can make up the pass difference with

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
what is all your thoughts on Breckenridge for me?
... It looks like mostly blues, very few greens - especially top to bottom, which I am OK with, but would likely cause frustration with my wife.

I have no info on crowding mid-winter. My only recent visit was in the spring.

Breck has excellent blacks.

Thinking back to our visit back when our son was learning, I remember that the blues and double-blues (a ranking they got rid of since) were really good. The greens were not good -- mostly at the bottom, and really, really flat. I mean like skate downhill to keep moving flat.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'd offer a bit of a wild card - how about staying in Frisco where the kids can use the tubing park/ maybe a hotel pool etc and do short snowy hikes etc and the skiers bus it to Copper. Would also allow the non ski contingent to go have a day out in Breck by bus or drive plus shopping at SIlverthorne if that's anyone's bag..

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Given everything you've said I'd do copper. Good variety of terrain, and esp good beginner terrain. Pretty easy for nonskiers to drive or free bus from there to frisco , Breck, or even vail for shopping, dining, etc.

Sponsor

Staff online