• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Which Ikon pass resort in March? (novice and want close accomdation)

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've skied all of the places mentioned with beginners (except for Eldora) and would definitely say that Copper best fits the bill. I'm a huge Aspen fan-boy and definitely think that Buttermilk and Snowmass have lots of great terrain for your group, but Copper would overall be easier, especially if you can find a place on the west side of the village.

Stay away from Winter Park, in my opinion. Most of the greens are cat tracks which cross other more challenging runs which can create confusion and some scary moments...(or they are way too flat and involve more poling/skating than you will find anywhere else)

MOUNTAINGIRL630

Booting up
Skier
You don't need a car at Copper if you are staying in the village. A free bus takes you around the village, and another takes you to Frisco. The village is a nice size and fun for little one
Is there a shuttle service to the village then?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
How many non or occasional skiers in the OPs group have heard of Copper, Winter Park, Steamboat? Could be none but guaranteed everyone in the group has heard of Aspen, THE iconic US ski resort. And even though many of the retail stores target customers are in a different tax bracket, window shopping is free. Aspen is a great town to wander around in.

The Aspen/Roaring Fork Valley bus system is the best in ski country with some shuttles being free.

Buttermilk is without question the best skiing for this group and if it snows Buttermilk has 4 easy black diamond runs that don't get groomed and don't get enough traffic to create moguls. I skied there a few seasons ago with boot top to mid shin fresh pow. I saw maybe a dozen other skiers throughout the day and I started at one side of a run and worked my way across, basically farming it. The only tracks I crossed were mostly my own.

I once spent the first 3 weeks of March in Aspen and it was sunny every day and snowed every second night. I returned decades later and it snowed 2 nights and was clear days for the 3 days I was there.

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
You don't need a car at Copper if you are staying in the village. A free bus takes you around the village, and another takes you to Frisco. The village is a nice size and fun for little ones.
We took a car from Denver but wished we hadnt once we got there as we didnt need it.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just be aware that the shuttle from DIA to Aspen or Snowmass takes forever. You won’t be skiing that day.
I suppose if you have a group and rent the entire van it’s much quicker, but you’re still talking 4 hours.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am planning a trip March 6-12th with a group of beginner kids and strong intermediate adults with one really good snowboarder. Ive never been to Steamboat but would really love to go. How is the snow traditionally this time of year? I honestly dont mind a little spring slush if its not too bad.

I think it should be good, especially since you will be there in early March. Could be a bit of slush but also could be champagne powder as well.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat even in late March can have outstanding conditions on top and slush at the base, and/or conditions can vary with different exposures.

James

Out There
Instructor
I am planning a trip March 6-12th with a group of beginner kids and strong intermediate adults with one really good snowboarder. Ive never been to Steamboat but would really love to go. How is the snow traditionally this time of year? I honestly dont mind a little spring slush if its not too
You’re in luck with Steamboat’s new beginner area project.

Sponsor

Staff online