• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
With new boots purchased, it's probably time to start thinking about replacing my 7 year old Nordica FireArrow skis (172mm-132/80/116 R14.5). I had Head skis before (that I got around 2005) and really liked them (until I noodled them over time). I want to explore the Head brand again but won't have an opportunity to demo and might have to buy blind based on recommendation. I'm looking to get some clarity on which models would best be suited for me for the coming few years.

I'm a Level III Certified Instructor, currently 68 years old (if that makes a difference?). I've had a knee replacement. I ski primarily in the midwest, so lots of man-made, hard snow, shorter runs, making every inch of real estate count. When I get to "real" mountains (maybe one week/year), I can let them loose (probably skiing faster than I should at my age) and don't shy away from any terrain. As they say; any turn, any condition, any terrain. Groomed, powder, crud- whatever's in my path (but at home almost 100% groomed hardpack/ice). So while on occasion I have to teach or ski bumps, it's a given that the titanium knee doesn't like a lot of abuse. I do bumps when necessary, or sometimes just to show that I can still do them (yet not as aggressively as once-upon-a-time). When I have the opportunity I ski moderately fast. I can still keep up with the teenagers, but prefer to stay on the ground. You get the picture.

So, I'm thinking one of the Head models, something around 13.5-14m radius. I'm sitting here with pages of next year's Head catalog. Like most gear catalogs, they are designed to be as ambiguous as possible. and are offering me no real-world help.
All are "Supershape" models. E-Titan. E-Rally. E-Magnum. E-Speed. Again, these are from next year's catalog. Will any of these skis remain the same next year as this year's model, and available at a discount (due to only or mostly cosmetic changes)

Can you guys please help me sort this out? Of these skis, which might be best for my needs? Any other brands/models that come to mind?
TIA

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the Supershapes, the V8 or V10, or Monster 83 or 88 would be what I would consider. All are good on harder surfaces. Depends on if you want more of a narrow carver (like Rally or V8) or a wider all mountain (like V10 or Monster 88). Lots of good choices. FWIW I own the V8.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
All are "Supershape" models. E-Titan. E-Rally. E-Magnum. E-Speed. Again, these are from next year's catalog. Will any of these skis remain the same next year as this year's model, and available at a discount (due to only or mostly cosmetic changes)
The Supershape series has changed a bit from the current models (iRally, iTitan, etc) to the E models. That's just the way Head dampens the ski. They also changed the shape a bit, I believe, and softened the hammerhead tips so they won't be as insistent on getting into a turn. I like the V8 as it's more forgiving yet holds a really good edge.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
The Supershape series has changed a bit from the current models (iRally, iTitan, etc) to the E models. That's just the way Head dampens the ski. They also changed the shape a bit, I believe, and softened the hammerhead tips so they won't be as insistent on getting into a turn. I like the V8 as it's more forgiving yet holds a really good edge.

Re: Dampening and tip modification
I saw that Head is using a "chip" to send energy into the tail of the ski. How is the dampening different from year to year?
I also noticed that on current model that there are 3 "stripes" near the tips of each of the models, presumably for how aggressive the rocker function is. Is that what you mean about "softening the hammerhead tips"?

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Re: Dampening and tip modification
I saw that Head is using a "chip" to send energy into the tail of the ski. How is the dampening different from year to year?
I also noticed that on current model that there are 3 "stripes" near the tips of each of the models, presumably for how aggressive the rocker function is. Is that what you mean about "softening the hammerhead tips"?
The i series of the super shapes have a very aggressive sidecut running all the way to the tip. The e series still runs full length but isn't as aggressive at the tip. Honestly, I'm not sure how the damping works. It's magic! @Philpug, can you expand on the difference between i and e?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
From what I understand the Speed is most like the original supper shape. The original supershape is the reason Head is now naming so many skis "supershape" (kind of like Fischer naming everything RC4).

Don't forget that the C4 came before the RC4 .

If Head used Fischer naming conventions, everything would be 'iSuperShapeXRCCyberXSpaceMaster360' - with an actual model name after that.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Don't forget that the C4 came before the RC4 .

If Head used Fischer naming conventions, everything would be 'iSuperShapeXRCCyberXSpaceMaster360' - with an actual model name after that.

I had some Fischer RC4 SL and GS skis back in the day. Actually I think Head's naming convention is easy to follow. Everything is Supershape- which you can ignore and just look for the actual model. Folks have been mentioning Speed and Magnum. The Speed seems to be close to what I may be looking for.

It's going to be close to 70° this weekend and I think after this weekend the midwest is pretty much done for the season. It seems to have gone by rather quickly.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
I was able to locate my old Head skis that I gave to my son-in-law after too many years softened them too much for me. But when they were fresh I loved them. I could do about anything on them. Groomed, powder, crud, even some bumps. Probably the best all-around ski I ever owned.
They were Head XRC1100's in 170cm length.
What is similar now in the Head lineup?
Knowing what I was on previously and liked a lot, perhaps that can help someone (who knows this ski) can dial me into my next purchase. TIA

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
With a 68mm waist, the XRC1100 is closest to the Supershape iSpeed. But ski design has advanced in the last 15 years, so anything that narrow is considered suitable for carving turns on groomers, certainly not for crud and powder. If you liked that ski, any of the Supershapes should keep you happy.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
With a 68mm waist, the XRC1100 is closest to the Supershape iSpeed. But ski design has advanced in the last 15 years, so anything that narrow is considered suitable for carving turns on groomers, certainly not for crud and powder. If you liked that ski, any of the Supershapes should keep you happy.

Thanks. That's helpful. I found the XRC1100 to be incredibly versatile. I never found myself in a situation where I was thinking "I wish I had my powder skis today", or "I wish these held better on hardpack". And I think you're right, the Speed may be the top contender at the moment, but as you say, they are all good. I may have to call Head customer support and see what they have to say. While I have been pretty happy on my Noridicas these last 6 years or so, I don't think I like them as well as I liked my Heads.

Thanks again.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
A Head Supershape i.Speed or Magnum sounds like it would be what you are looking for. A Stockli SC or AX would also likely work, as would a Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti or MT.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just compare the tips. That’s half your answer.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I really can't tell if the chip in Head skis does anything at all, more marketing than substance I'd say. Rally can deal with eastern hardpack, but really pushing its abilities, and starts to chatter when it gets harder.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Just compare the tips. That’s half your answer.
Other than width, I'm not quite sure to be looking for in the tips. I am totally unfamiliar with the new rocker technology. And while I understand the concept, I don't understand what would be best and how to attempt to judge that without having demoed any ski with rocker tips.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Pretty much a useless ski in most of the Midwest too. Not enough vertical to have fun with it. Yes the 83 is in my groups quiver too.

@vindibona1 Why just the Heads?

The conundrum of purchasing one set of skis is that the midwest is limited in snow conditions without much in the way of terrain compared to the Rockies, Wasatch or Sierras. But then, the real joy of skiing comes in that one week where I'm where there is more real estate, real snow and a lot of varying conditions. But 95% of the time... ice and limited vertical.

Why Head skis? No particular reason except that two skis ago I was really happy with my Head XRC 1100's. I'm familar with the brand (but not as well as years ago). That's it. I'm not limited in what I'm willing to purchase. I wish I had the opportunity to demo some skis, which happened 0 times this year.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink