• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When to get a base grind?

James

Out There
Instructor
Don’t forget the Stockli AX is 1.2 deg base bevel from the factory.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have faith that Le Ski Mastery would not do a bad job of tuning, but I would definitely tell them my skill level if I took skis there for a tune.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
^^ I put a big piece of white duct tape on each ski with "DO NOT DETUNE ANY PART OF THIS SKI" written in bold magic marker.
You and me both, only I taped a piece of paper and used marker under the boot area to tell them the bevels.

I try to avoid bringing my skis anywhere near a shop anymore. I do my own structuring to avoid that annual horror.

strix

Terminal Intermediate
Skier
My intuition would be to do it more often than you would think if you have high performance expectations.

That said, I have no idea how many base grinds you can get out of a ski in it’s lifetime. If I had a good estimate, I’d think about how long the ski is going to live for and just divide. For me, likely once a year except if something goes wrong, but maybe more often.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
My intuition would be to do it more often than you would think if you have high performance expectations.

That said, I have no idea how many base grinds you can get out of a ski in it’s lifetime. If I had a good estimate, I’d think about how long the ski is going to live for and just divide. For me, likely once a year except if something goes wrong, but maybe more often.

Don't grind unless you really really really need it.
A fast gliding ski may be a structure that is well broken in. This takes time and work!
If the ski was super flat from the factory before they ground it, and remained fairly flat, one could grind many times. but why???
Never sweat small scratches and even some larger.
If the ski glides well, don't do it.

strix

Terminal Intermediate
Skier
I’ve never compared nearly identical skis side by side so I’ve found the effectiveness of various tuning techniques hard to evaluate. There is a lot of FUD out there, and I try to avoid echoing it.

Sponsor

Staff online