• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When to get a base grind?

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've done some googling and reading, and I've searched the forum here before asking, but I can't find good guidelines.

How do you know (as in, what is your personal feeling or rubric) when it is time for a base grind?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When you've trashed your edges on rocks and can no longer get them sharp with side edge filing alone, and base edge filing will cause a very long bevel.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
When you've trashed your edges on rocks and can no longer get them sharp with side edge filing alone, and base edge filing will cause a very long bevel.

This is the main thing I've been questioning lately. Got some bad gouges on one set of skis.

What do you guys mean by "long bevel"?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Recreation skis:

No more structure
Significant base damage or ptex repairs
Significant edge damage that can't get sorted out via edge filing
No longer flat

I'm guessing long bevel refers to possibly cutting into the ptex and not just the metal edge.

When in doubt, grind it out.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What do you guys mean by "long bevel"?

Base edge filing that extends into the ptex. The more it's done the longer that base angle becomes.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I do it when I have enough scratches on the bottom edge that I can't fix with diamond stones that it bothers me (how's that for scientific). I'm not gentle with my skis so it's pretty common for me. Until this year I've only needed a preseason grind and managed to keep them tuned at home. Not so this year. Two of mine are due now...

None of my skis are destined for a hall of fame so I don't worry too much about their lifetimes. I've heard they make more.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just took mine into Le Mastery and they told me what they needed.

The problem with this is that if you don't know your shop or they don't know you, you can end up with a Joey tune. "Oh yeah, we detuned your tips and tails so you wouldn't catch an edge." :geek: :nono: :eek::rolleyes:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem with this is that if you don't know your shop or they don't know you, you can end up with a Joey tune. "Oh yeah, we detuned your tips and tails so you wouldn't catch an edge." :geek: :nono: :eek::rolleyes:
LOL. I like my tails and tips detuned. I ski a lot of SoCal crud and that is the best type of tune.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Jacques, I took a screen shot from that video for the image of a long bevel. Correct me if I got this wrong.
Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 7.33.03 AM.png

Sponsor

Staff online