• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

When are Skis Outdated?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've got these.
Screenshot_20190312-145532~2.png

Screenshot_20190316-201519.png

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
You are wrong. A good skier can overcome a shortcoming in gear.

@Marcus Caston start about 1:00 in. I bet he coudl ski that 30 year old Blizzard Thermo better than 99.99% of the skiers on this site could ski any modern ski of their choosing.

Of course Marcus (or any elite level skier) is the extreme example. But Marcus does say, with good technique you can ski almost any ski because of the fundamental of a turn. (1:30 in)

Sorry, I don't buy that argument at all.

At least in the context of this example with this clip. Can a world class skier ski well on old gear? Apparently yes. Would they rather be on more modern gear? Apparently, yes, 100%. If not, once the filming was done, Marcus would have kept those skis and tossed his others. Just because he *can* use the tool, doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job, right? But even then, even if it was the best tool for the job for him... Let's assume those skis fit his style/preferences just right. That means nothing about what you and I should be skiing on. Because we're not him.

Long way of saying: just ski what you enjoy. old, new, whatever.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If your skis are truly outdated.. then I'd argue that how you ski is also outdated.

Sorry, I don't buy that argument at all.

Long way of saying: just ski what you enjoy. old, new, whatever.

That was a reply to a specific comment. Marcus shows that good tecnique can overcome the equipment.

But I agree with your comment with a "run what you brung" here:

We forget how good most skis have been in the past decade plus...I say most but there were some dogs, especially when we were evolving with change like the shapes and with rocker. But overall a ski that was exceptional 10 years ago is still damn good and has stood the test of time.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
When over terrained or using sub par equipment (rentals on ice). Sometimes basking in the aura of failure can lead to enlightenment and motivation. YMMV. ;-)

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
That was a reply to a specific comment. Marcus shows that good tecnique can overcome the equipment.

But I agree with your comment with a "run what you brung" here:

I see that now. I misinterpreted your point when I read it. :thumb:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Very different ski.
Thank God. I was really feeling bad telling @Sibhusky that I was fearing her skis might suck. That was bringing me no joy at all.

The ones I have are a first generation ikonic and they may have introduced it too early before fully working out the design.

Or I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, which frankly wouldn't be the first time that's the case.

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier
The skis become outdated as soon as there is a breakthrough in, followed by wide acceptance of, technology that makes earlier designs obsolete.

Examples of discontinued models which, if re-released for 20/21, could still sell:
- Kastle MX78 (unlike 83 and 88 these were not reincarnated under new waist "index")
- Line Sick Day Tourist (overwhelmingly rave reviews, God only knows why Line got rid of them after only 2 seasons).

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank God. I was really feeling bad telling @Sibhusky that I was fearing her skis might suck. That was bringing me no joy at all.

The ones I have are a first generation ikonic and they may have introduced it too early before fully working out the design.

Or I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, which frankly wouldn't be the first time that's the case.
Yeah, you got good company, anyway, including myself at times.
You never know. There is such diversity in skiing styles, body shapes and technique, and design impulses - that ski may have just been aimed at a more intermediate or transitional mass market or whatever. I know that many brands, for years, seem to veer off from just moving from technology high to tech high, and instead do some design or marketing squirrelly thing, that works for them, for a time. Or doesn't.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Are 5 year old skis in good condition outdated, or are skis evolving slowly and should be good until a big breakthrough?

They are outdated when you get tired of them and/or you want something different. :ogbiggrin: Then again, you dont have to get rid of them you just buy more.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The skis become outdated as soon as there is a breakthrough in, followed by wide acceptance of, technology that makes earlier designs obsolete.

Examples of discontinued models which, if re-released for 20/21, could still sell:
- Kastle MX78 (unlike 83 and 88 these were not reincarnated under new waist "index")
- Line Sick Day Tourist (overwhelmingly rave reviews, God only knows why Line got rid of them after only 2 seasons).
Yeah, the Stockli SR 78 XXL would still be a top ski, in my opinion. Not eclipsed yet.

With the Kastle MX78, I never got a chance to get on it new, but have demoed its successor, the MX74, repeatedly - and that is such a good ski.
Is the MX78 very similar, or would it now have to compete with the MX74? (I did try a very old used pair of the 78, but it was a combination of skied out and base high that meant I had no idea how it would carve if corrected and newer.)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Maybe those blue lawn darts... What skis were those? Within the last decade, maybe only 5 years back?
Do you mean the Salomon BBR? At the demo centre where I worked when the BBR came out, everyone thought that they were meh. So we nicknamed them the (Justin) Biebers.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I only ski Rossi's, and they are outdated to ME when the technology takes a giant leap in performance and the fun factor. I keep thinking they just can't get any better, but they do. I can't wait to get the Black Ops 98's back on the snow!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, the Stockli SR 78 XXL would still be a top ski, in my opinion. Not eclipsed yet.

With the Kastle MX78, I never got a chance to get on it new, but have demoed its successor, the MX74, repeatedly - and that is such a good ski.
Is the MX78 very similar, or would it now have to compete with the MX74? (I did try a very old used pair of the 78, but it was a combination of skied out and base high that meant I had no idea how it would carve if corrected and newer.)

I demoed the MX 78 at Jackson (they still had one at Mudroom/Nomad) after trying the MX 84 and I have to say, if you’re going to get a ski with that MX kind of grip, stability and turn initiation that really wants to carve, the 74 and 78 widths are better suited for that kind of ski than a mid-80’s width. The 78 was a great ski, I’d totally buy one, it’s not outdated even if it isn’t in the lineup anymore. I didn’t feel the same about the 84, and I didn’t find the MX 84 nearly as friendly in bumps and off-piste as a Stockli AR, or my Renoun Z90, comparing other premium frontside-oriented skis.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I demoed the MX 78 at Jackson (they still had one at Mudroom/Nomad) after trying the MX 84 and I have to say, if you’re going to get a ski with that MX kind of grip, stability and turn initiation that really wants to carve, the 74 and 78 widths are better suited for that kind of ski than a mid-80’s width. The 78 was a great ski, I’d totally buy one, it’s not outdated even if it isn’t in the lineup anymore. I didn’t feel the same about the 84, and I didn’t find the MX 84 nearly as friendly in bumps and off-piste as a Stockli AR, or my Renoun Z90, comparing other premium frontside-oriented skis.
I think the upcoming MX83 would be more what you are looking for, it has a much bigger sweetspot.

VladSki

Two Aperols please
Skier

I did not get to demo the 74, but looking at the specs it does not appear to be a true descendant of 78.

2021 MX75 looks like one though (except for the weight).

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The MX78 was my daily driver this last season. I found it used a few years ago for $125.00. Nice buy.
It was just what I wanted -- torsionally stiff so it holds like a race ski on hard snow and real ice, slalom size radius which suits me most of the time on my small New England hill, longitudinally robust should I choose to get aggressive, but not too much so. Definitely not a noodle in anyone's world. Just right for this skier who prefers to use the edges. A narrower waist would have served just fine (MX74), not a wider one, but budget being what it is, this used ski served me very well.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online