• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the 2020 verdict on electric edge sharpeners?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Saw a 2017 thread, yet looking for the contemporary view: aka the skis are piling up, should/which do I purchase?

Thanks!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I wish I could tell you, but I'm still using my Fogman. I'd love to know what machine Lindsey Vonn's tech was using in the HBO documentary. That thing looked bad ass.

James

Out There
Instructor
I wish I could tell you, but I'm still using my Fogman. I'd love to know what machine Lindsey Vonn's tech was using in the HBO documentary. That thing looked bad ass.
Probably the Snow Glide. Got a still shot?

Seems Snow Glide has a new budget model, Rhombus,for $900 this year with 1/2deg increments.
Snowglide:
Fixed degrees- $1,700
Adjustable, by 0.1deg -$2,400
The stones are $300-375. You get a medium with machine.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Yeah it looked like a Snowglide. As a Fogman owner, I find the hardest thing is when you get close to the tips and tails. If the Snowglide does better work there, that would be pretty appealing.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s also the ProTek, adjustable for $1,500. Has dual sided grinding wheels, supposedly lower rpm for less dust.
Wheels are $300, two grits on each. So, almost half the cost.

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A lot depends on your budget.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How many times a season are you actually going to go full router on your edges? Other than the initial set, is it really a huge time savor over a couple light passes with a file? Seems like a race room tech would definitely need one but not the average basement/garage geek.

James

Out There
Instructor
How many times a season are you actually going to go full router on your edges? Other than the initial set, is it really a huge time savor over a couple light passes with a file? Seems like a race room tech would definitely need one but not the average basement/garage geek.
The people who use them use them every time. So, recreational, NE, every two -three times skiing? Takes off less than a file. The fine stones are probably like hand stoning but way quicker. People who use them never go back.
Ask @Atomicman , he’s pretty picky.

@ScotsSkier has the Protek I believe.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The people who use them use them every time. So, recreational, NE, every two -three times skiing? Takes off less than a file. The fine stones are probably like hand stoning but way quicker. People who use them never go back.
Ask @Atomicman , he’s pretty picky.

@ScotsSkier has the Protek I believe.
$2,000 for a tool used for tuning your skis 2-3 times a season? OK LOL Even after 10 years of that it cost you $100 per tune just for that.

James

Out There
Instructor
$2,000 for a tool used for tuning your skis 2-3 times a season? OK LOL Even after 10 years of that it cost you $100 per tune just for that.
No, every 2-3 days. Less if racing. I guess if you only ski 10 days a season, it’s dumb. But, why would you even consider it?

People who have 2+ kids racing, times at least 2 pairs each, it’s a time thing.

Your math is way off. 10 tunes x 2 skis x 2 kids. That's 40 tunes. Let’s say a tune is $50 for edges on a trim jet. That’s $2k right there.
Pays for itself in one year, plus less the hassle of dropping off, might not be ready. It is work though.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No, every 2-3 days. Less if racing. I guess if you only ski 10 days a season, it’s dumb. But, why would you even g.

Your math is way off. 10 tunes x 2 skis x 2 kids. That's 40 tunes. Let’s say a tune is $50 for edges on a trim jet. That’s $2k right there.
Pays for itself in one year, plus less the hassle of dropping off, might not be ready. It is work though.
Again, 10 tunes is still a lot for recreational skiers. Easily 3-5 years depending. Ya, if you're competing every weekend on a race surface worth it.. Otherwise, overkill.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You could argue that owning skis is overkill for a lot of recreational skiers too.
I'm with you on paying $600 for skis. I haven't paid over $250 for both skis and bindings this century. I'm fine with 3 year old new old stock or gently used thrift store scores. It's amazing how many times I see 2-3 year old gear that looks like it was maybe used once selling for $15. Must be the fact that I'm close enough to the mountains where people go try it but far enough away that they don't stick with it and can't easily sell their gently used gear.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Again, 10 tunes is still a lot for recreational skiers. Easily 3-5 years depending. Ya, if you're competing every weekend on a race surface worth it.. Otherwise, overkill.
So is having a dedicated shop in your basement with lots of skis and wax. But that is what we do.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm fine with 3 year old new old stock or gently used thrift store scores. It's amazing how many times I see 2-3 year old gear that looks like it was maybe used once selling for $15.
If I had that close by, I would be buying and selling constantly. Only skis at that price near me are skis from the 80s

Sponsor

Staff online