• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What's the 2020 verdict on electric edge sharpeners?

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
With two racers in the family who train or race 6-7 days a week I've been through several tuning machines; currently using the Razor Tune with good results. It does take off a fair amount of edge so you have to be mindful of that.

All of these machines work best if you use them every day or every other day. It only takes a couple of passes to get them super sharp if you stay on top of them. But if the edges get dull you have to file them before using the grinder. They won't tell you this, but trust me, it's easier to file the edges than do 20+ passes with a machine.

If I had no one racing in the family I would never have bought a tuner, especially if I lived out West. Hand tuning is far more pleasant and gets the edges plenty sharp for a good recreational carver. But for racing in New England, the machines do save time and probably get them a little sharper than I can by hand.

I used the original Fogman long ago and I like Razor Tune better, but Fogman may have been improved and updated since then.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
All of these machines work best if you use them every day or every other day. It only takes a couple of passes to get them super sharp if you stay on top of them. But if the edges get dull you have to file them before using the grinder. They won't tell you this, but trust me, it's easier to file the edges than do 20+ passes with a machine.

Don't they have coarser bits available to knock down neglected edges quicker? Seems like that should be something a shop would find useful.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Yes they have a coarse stone but I have found it quicker and easier to just file them when needed. The coarse stone takes a ton of metal off and requires a bunch of passes. Plus, Snowglide charges around $350 for the extra stone.

James

Out There
Instructor
No idea why you would comment on a machine people use 50 times a year. Just because you’d use it once.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No idea why you would comment on a machine people use 50 times a year. Just because you’d use it once.
I used routers professionally for several years in a past life. These are basically routers with stone bits. Plus, it's helpful to know what the pros are doing to my skis if I leave them at a shop to be worked on.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't you have one now? Which one, and do you like it or wish you'd gotten a different one?

I have the razor tune. Really slick tool. Works great. Worst part is the output cord from the transformer to the machine. Cheap hard plastic cord. Constantly kink and catches on everything. Drags the machine off balance constantly. A softer and more supple cord would be nice.

Bought the $120 rechargeable battery this season. What a difference. A completely diffefent feel to the tool. Up couple of levels.

ProLeisure

We are all snow leopards.
Skier
Bought the $120 rechargeable battery this season. What a difference. A completely diffefent feel to the tool. Up couple of levels.

I have the Razor-Tune as well and have been happy with the results and overall ease-of-use when used with the rechargeable battery. The battery definitely makes it a much better tool.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Avoid anything that runs along the side edge especially the Swix / Toko branded Ski Man grinder, it’s not very accurate and once it goes out of production the wheels might be hard to get hold of.

If you just want something to tune recreational skis then the Razor-Tune looks hard to beat and as it’s made in the US servicing and repairs shouldn’t be a problem.

For racing the edge grinder currently preferred by World Cup ski techs is the Ratte it has very good ergonomics, built in dust collection and you can get them personalized.

Ratte.jpg

If you want state of the art then it has to be the Tecnopower Ski Edge.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You could argue that owning skis is overkill for a lot of recreational skiers too.

Absolutely, especially us in the east owning multiple skis in the 85-100mm waists and 1 or 2 100mm+. Most would think we’re nuts!

in all seriousness, if I had a couple of kids that raced or even a couple of kids who were serious skiers with multiple skis along with my skis, this would be a no brainer for me. I’d own one. I’d compare it to driving down the road to a Babe Ruth or Little league baseball game with 2 kids, each with 2 or 3 $300-400 bats, 2 $150 gloves, $100 spikes plus an assortment of accessories in each batbag. That makes the purchase of one of these machines look reasonable in a hurry.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Did you get your Fogman when Graham closed Edgewise?

Got it a few years before. It was nice to be able to have him clinic me on how to use it. It's probably not the most user friendly, but after a few hundred tunings, I think I have a pretty good feel for it.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Absolutely, especially us in the east owning multiple skis in the 85-100mm waists and 1 or 2 100mm+. Most would think we’re nuts!

in all seriousness, if I had a couple of kids that raced or even a couple of kids who were serious skiers with multiple skis along with my skis, this would be a no brainer for me. I’d own one. I’d compare it to driving down the road to a Babe Ruth or Little league baseball game with 2 kids, each with 2 or 3 $300-400 bats, 2 $150 gloves, $100 spikes plus an assortment of accessories in each batbag. That makes the purchase of one of these machines look reasonable in a hurry.

You forgot the price of the skis boots and gear. But yeah even for rec ski the laser would almost pay for itself.

You must have some high roller baseball kids there in VA!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
/QUOTE]

Good equipment is expensive for pretty much any sport and I certainly spent a ton on my 2 kids. We’ve gone from that though to paying for medical school, so I’m missing the days of just buying a few expensive baseball bats! lol

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I like my results with the Swix EVO. The build quality is a little sketchy and I’m afraid I won’t be able to replace the wheels after a while, but I prefer to work the ski edge up because I find it easier to hold the ski securely that way. Most of my friends prefer the Razor-tune but they need to adjust a vise at least a couple of times for each pair, which I would rather avoid. The trade off is I need to be more careful with the tool. YMMV.

I’m not sure I would pay $500 for any of them, but I scored mine at a ski shop liquidation.

dm

Sponsor

Staff online