• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What skis do the pros use???

VAski

Booting up
Skier
Thought it might be interesting to compile a list... Would love to know the make, model, length and skier info (height, weight), but that might be a tough one. If it's a racer, I'd rather know what they use to freeski. I'm sure they have quivers that would make you shiver, but how about the skis that they're seen on. What about the demo team guys???

Anyone got any insider info??

What are they skiing??

Jonathan Ballou -- Blizzard WRC - 182cm (from a 2015 video)
JF Beaulieu -- Rossignol Hero Master? - ?cm (from a 2015 video)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You know they're skiing what their sponsors give 'em, right?

It's marketing - and it obviously works :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You know they're skiing what their sponsors give 'em, right?

It's marketing - and it obviously works :)
True, but what ski in the line do they choose to ski? But frankly, these guys and gals could ski on warped 2x4's and make it look easy.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
True, but what ski in the line do they choose to ski? But frankly, these guys and gals could ski on warped 2x4's and make it look easy.

Agreed 100% on both counts. There's some element of preference, for sure, but they're also good enough to adapt.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@VAski , you might try to find someone who's a similar build and ski style to you. Obviously they'll be skiing at a different level, but ...

I have two fave instructors at Breck who both used to compete in big mountain events. One of them is male, tall, lanky, and likes to make about two turns down the entirety of Horseshoe Bowl. His preferred turning radius is "as big as possible." He skis Faction. The other is female like me, similar height, build, and makes what I'd consider to be a normal number of turns down the hill. She skis Liberty.

Both of them are better skiers than I hope to be any time soon, but I'm way more likely to try her Variant 113s than his Factions (I can't figure out from the site which one he's on - it's red).

TS
V

VAski

Booting up
Skier
@VAski , you might try to find someone who's a similar build and ski style to you. Obviously they'll be skiing at a different level, but ...

I see what you're getting at. I'm not going to purchase what they're skiing. I'm just curious as to what they're on. If JF had the whole Rossi lineup to choose from, I find it interesting he chose the hero master (or at least I think he chose?). A few years ago he was on the non-master hero. Is that the marketing department telling him what to ski, or is that him liking the master better?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

I think the intent of the thread is more in the spotting and recognising and possibly interpreting why, rather than copying.

Both of them are better skiers than I hope to be any time soon, but I'm way more likely to try her Variant 113s than his Factions (I can't figure out from the site which one he's on - it's red).

Candide 1.0?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Candide 1.0?

It doesn't match the graphics of anything on the site right now. Very understated muted dark red (blood red?) with no obvious graphics. Maybe a prototype? Maybe a previous season?

I see what you're getting at. I'm not going to purchase what they're skiing. I'm just curious as to what they're on. If JF had the whole Rossi lineup to choose from, I find it interesting he chose the hero master (or at least I think he chose?). A few years ago he was on the non-master hero. Is that the marketing department telling him what to ski, or is that him liking the master better?

Gotcha. Yeah, I wonder if they get to choose even within the lineup, or if they're just handed a pair of skis. I could see it going either way, and in fact it might differ from brand to brand?

TS
V

VAski

Booting up
Skier
Adding on...

Eric Lipton -- Head Supershape??? - ?cm (from a 2013 video)
Michael Rogan -- Nordica??? Looks like a proto ski from a Portillo video 2013

TS
V

VAski

Booting up
Skier
Robin Barnes -- Head Super Joy - 2015 video

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It doesn't match the graphics of anything on the site right now. Very understated muted dark red (blood red?) with no obvious graphics. Maybe a prototype? Maybe a previous season?

2015 Candide 4.0?

http://www.leftlanesports.com/mobile/product.aspx?l=00051196041807300000&p=FCT01230

FCT01230_582948.jpg

pretty ski btw, though I prefer(red) Electra bases. I've only been on various flavours of Agents, I wonder if that is less...nervous feeling... than those were.

Last edited:
TS
V

VAski

Booting up
Skier
Jebb Boyd -- Dynastar Power Track 89 - Snowbird 2015

TS
V

VAski

Booting up
Skier
Jebb Boyd -- Dynastar Power Track 89 - Snowbird 2015
Mike Hafer -- Blizzard Spur ??? - Snowbird 2015

TS
V

VAski

Booting up
Skier
-- Head Rally - Snowbird 2015 (Interski training)
Jebb Boyd -- Dynastar Power Track 89 - Snowbird 2015 (Interski training)
Mike Hafer -- Blizzard Spur ??? - Snowbird 2015 (Interski training)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Gotcha. Yeah, I wonder if they get to choose even within the lineup, or if they're just handed a pair of skis. I could see it going either way, and in fact it might differ from brand to brand?

They do get to choose for sure and they'll have a quiver. I've skied with Matt Boyd a bunch of times this year and he's been on anything from a 30m WC ski to the RTM84 (which I think he used at tryouts this week).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's not like these pros use only ONE pair of skis. Most of them have not only a giant quiver of different model and length options but racers will have a half dozen different pairs of the same model and length in different stiffness and different edge bevel options available (again, likely prototypes, not off the shelf models), perhaps even changing between runs.

TS
V

VAski

Booting up
Skier
They do get to choose for sure and they'll have a quiver. I've skied with Matt Boyd a bunch of times this year and he's been on anything from a 30m WC ski to the RTM84 (which I think he used at tryouts this week).

Not surprised about the Volkl skis. He's was wearing Volkl swag at a interski conference. That being said, I've seen him on Dynastars over the span of several years. Maybe Volkl has been a recent move...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd bet Chris Davenport is on a Kastle of some kind. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid