• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the smallest heated boot bag?

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Several petite friends carry ridiculously oversized bootpack. They can practically fit inside!

My heated Transpack is going on 8 years, replaced the heating pad last year and is still going strong, thankfully fits in the overhead bins of US domestic and international flights to Japan.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am at my somewhat regularly scheduled rejection of ginormous boot bags. I keep going back and forth, ever since the days of the Hot Gear bag. Get the heated bag, love the function, despise the size, then eventually the wires stop working and I buy a smaller, nonheated boot bag -- not only that, but the ones with the boots strapped to the outside, basically the opposite of a heated bag. After a while, miss the heated function, buy another one, love the heat but slowly again start being annoyed by the size.

So, I am at the point where my Kulkea is not heating very well; there is some warmth in some places, but clearly the elements are wearing out (or whatever they do). There was a time when I had an old Hot Gear/Snow Gear bag that still worked (the 120 part at least) but the zippers and straps and other things were broken and dangling, and I just used the bag to heat the boots but would carry my other stuff in a different bag (leaving the heated bag in the car or hotel or wherever, not carrying both). I could maybe try that again, but most of the heat bags I'm seeing are pretty big, and I barely even see the kind where you strap boots to the outside. I think I gave away my last one, darnit.

Anyway, anyone else have a love-hate relationship with these things, and have any advice? A heating pad inside a padded duffel bag? Is that safe? Or not hot enough?
it depends... if I'm driving to the mountain, I'll plug a set of boot dyers in the car and close the bag.

If I'm taking the bus, a pack of hand warmers in the boots and close the bag. When i get to the lockers, the hand warmers gets transferred to my gloves.

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I can’t take a photo at the moment, but I found an old Hot Gear heating pad and shoved it into an old-school Salomon boot bag I got for $7. So far so good! (Part of this has to deal with traveling in a camper and needing lots of small bags rather than a few big ones, easier to pack and stuff and rearrange.)

TS
S

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
C23032D5-7D7E-4259-BDCC-5454AB4410AC_1_105_c.jpeg

F8A1DFB4-D195-43C0-8F98-C9A57DA33895_1_105_c.jpeg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lovw hate for sure.. but I can't get my boots in without one..

Transpak is pretty small. Well made. The heating elements IMEx go bad frequently.

Not having 12v is not a deal breaker so after buying 4 replacement elements between our 2 bags I just get a cheapo 11 dollar heating pads from Amazon and put it on medium. Need to be sure you get one with no auto shutoff.

Not worried about moisture. I wipe down my boots before putting them in nd the heating pads these days are advertised for moist heat with a wet spongy sheet. So far so good anyway.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Wait wait wait. There are domestic flights to Japan? With all that snow? I'm in! SO in!
Japan Airlines flies direct from Boston to Tokyo. The direct to Japan from Boston is a game changer making it not all that hard once you mentally get over the length of time you'll be on the plane.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Japan Airlines flies direct from Boston to Tokyo. The direct to Japan from Boston is a game changer making it not all that hard once you mentally get over the length of time you'll be on the plane.
Yeah, not your fault you are not attuned to my habitual snark mode. I was pulling Jenny's chain about her phrase "international flights to Japan." Because that is clearly the only kind of flight to Japan from the US that there could be. Thus my ignorable post. As you were.

international flights to Japan

Wait wait wait. There are domestic flights to Japan? With all that snow? I'm in! SO in!

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
Yeah, not your fault you are not attuned to my habitual snark mode. I was pulling Jenny's chain about her phrase "international flights to Japan." Because that is clearly the only kind of flight to Japan from the US that there could be. Thus my ignorable post. As you were.

Nice! Here I was trying to be helpful. Ha Ha Ha!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh Tony.... :nono:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did anyone already mention this beauty:

Looks pretty compact to me.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did anyone already mention this beauty:

Looks pretty compact to me.
Looks nice. It does use a padded shoulder strap rather than backpack straps, which would be better in some situations and more of a problem in others.

Sponsor

Staff online