• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What is the smallest heated boot bag?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am at my somewhat regularly scheduled rejection of ginormous boot bags. I keep going back and forth, ever since the days of the Hot Gear bag. Get the heated bag, love the function, despise the size, then eventually the wires stop working and I buy a smaller, nonheated boot bag -- not only that, but the ones with the boots strapped to the outside, basically the opposite of a heated bag. After a while, miss the heated function, buy another one, love the heat but slowly again start being annoyed by the size.

So, I am at the point where my Kulkea is not heating very well; there is some warmth in some places, but clearly the elements are wearing out (or whatever they do). There was a time when I had an old Hot Gear/Snow Gear bag that still worked (the 120 part at least) but the zippers and straps and other things were broken and dangling, and I just used the bag to heat the boots but would carry my other stuff in a different bag (leaving the heated bag in the car or hotel or wherever, not carrying both). I could maybe try that again, but most of the heat bags I'm seeing are pretty big, and I barely even see the kind where you strap boots to the outside. I think I gave away my last one, darnit.

Anyway, anyone else have a love-hate relationship with these things, and have any advice? A heating pad inside a padded duffel bag? Is that safe? Or not hot enough?

Reactions: BC.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm with you on the ginormous size of the Kulkea. The design of this bag looks great but it's not heated.

1706825665369.png

I would be concerned about the moisture with a normal heating pad and maybe that it would get too hot next to the plastic. Maybe this kind of warmer in the boot? https://www.thewarmingstore.com/peet-power-cell-dryer.html

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think if you reach out to Kulkea you might be able to get info on a replacement heating pad. I’m sure my makeshift solution doesn’t work as well as a heated bag, but I keep some dry guy travel dry doohickeys plugged into my car and shove them down into the toes of my boots for my drive to the hill. My boots will be nice and warm if I boot up in the car, but if I boot up inside they’ll be cooled off by the time I’m done walking across the parking lot. Still better than nothing though.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think if you reach out to Kulkea you might be able to get info on a replacement heating pad.
Yes, they will, but I don't want to use the bag anymore. ogsmile I guess I should get it to work, regardless.

I just ordered two of these, will report back. Looks like I could wrap around the boot to get the front part nice and bendy?

71zwJcYVZzL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
Put a heating pad in your small bag then buy a cheap small inverter to use it in the car.
Heating pad on medium works for me and they are waterproof otherwise they could electrocute people in bed.. If the pad is too hot for plastic it would be too hot for humans. I removed the pad cover for better contact with boot and did a trial check with a thermometer first time.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Will you be carrying the heating pads around? It looks like those are weighted ones.
No, so that didn't matter. There were some unweighted but they cost more (these were on sale). I would just stuff into a soft cooler, I think, and keep them in my car or wherever. I am not sure, just spitballing, and not wanting to carry that stupid ginormous bag around anymore.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And, for the record, this has nothing to do with the quality of the Kulkea, which has been far superior to the Hot Gear/Snow Eagle versions. Zippers, materials, all that, no problem, it's just too big. My shoulders are very narrow, making it difficult. Everything about it is just a schlep that I hate.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I just sent an email to @KULKEA suggesting they consider making a Kartta boot bag with a heating element...

I will look at that. I feel like removing the insulation from the center compartment and shrinking it a bit would go a long way. Or maybe enabling some compression straps? Uh, perhaps just shrinking the whole thing, for boot sizes <27, call it the Trekkerito.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I am at my somewhat regularly scheduled rejection of ginormous boot bags. I keep going back and forth, ever since the days of the Hot Gear bag. Get the heated bag, love the function, despise the size, then eventually the wires stop working and I buy a smaller, nonheated boot bag -- not only that, but the ones with the boots strapped to the outside, basically the opposite of a heated bag. After a while, miss the heated function, buy another one, love the heat but slowly again start being annoyed by the size.

So, I am at the point where my Kulkea is not heating very well; there is some warmth in some places, but clearly the elements are wearing out (or whatever they do). There was a time when I had an old Hot Gear/Snow Gear bag that still worked (the 120 part at least) but the zippers and straps and other things were broken and dangling, and I just used the bag to heat the boots but would carry my other stuff in a different bag (leaving the heated bag in the car or hotel or wherever, not carrying both). I could maybe try that again, but most of the heat bags I'm seeing are pretty big, and I barely even see the kind where you strap boots to the outside. I think I gave away my last one, darnit.

Anyway, anyone else have a love-hate relationship with these things, and have any advice? A heating pad inside a padded duffel bag? Is that safe? Or not hot enough?

Following on the idea of just buying the heating part, there are available options to just buy the heating elements and then you could put them in any bag of your choosing.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just replaced the heating pads/controller for my Thermal Trekker. Kulkea will warranty the stuff for 2 years, my bag is way older than that, so I paid the $120 for replacements. However I was thinking that the heating pads might be used with a Kartta or Kayda. I might play with this at a later time.

TS
S

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Following on the idea of just buying the heating part, there are available options to just buy the heating elements and then you could put them in any bag of your choosing.the whole bag

Well, might as well just get the whole bag for cheaper. Although that link mentions that the pad is upgraded from previous? Wonder if these STP bags have the same pad.

KULKEA

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Sponsor
I will look at that. I feel like removing the insulation from the center compartment and shrinking it a bit would go a long way. Or maybe enabling some compression straps? Uh, perhaps just shrinking the whole thing, for boot sizes <27, call it the Trekkerito.
I like that!

Sponsor

Staff online