• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What freestyle skiing should be.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I dont even really like park skiing, or jibbing, Half pipe is ok, and people throwing back flips on wind lips, and croked 7 off cliffs is more my style.

but man these guys have always been a blast to watch, I doubt many people on here have subscribed to them, they are doing something truly unique skillful and different.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is truly fun to watch. I do want to find the strand of caution tape that will hold up while my fat ass crosses it though.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
that was a slack line, not caution tape.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
why does it really matter don?

do their activity change the functionality of the rail?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....and then there's this....
Skiing is now a spectator sport, but it sure does require high level videography to maximize that potential.

Last edited:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
In a previous life, I was the maintenance guy who had to repaint the rails after kids slid their skateboards down them. (Before skiers started doing it, too) Eventually, the management installed blocks every 4 feet along the length of the rail to discourage them.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
X Games Real Ski has a comp every year where they have pros and film makers make a 90 sec Urban ski video. This one from an amazing freestyle skier ABM was one of my faves this year.

Like those talking about the skiers damaging the rails, I cringe at the damage to the edges and bases of the skis with any urban videos being such a fussy person tuning my own skis. Lol

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
why does it really matter don?

do their activity change the functionality of the rail?

The metal rusts a lot quicker when it doesn't have paint to protect it.

I see this as winter parkour more than freestyle skiing. Same thing goes for street skating versus true freestyle skateboarding.

Do they even bother to tune their skis other than detuning them?

Full disclosure,., the neighborhood I grew up our house was one of the highest points in town with about ten miles of rolling hills down to the riverbed. We used to bomb through town house communities jumping seemingly endless sets of 8-10 stairs for days. Occasionally, we'd scare the hell out of someone stepping out of their front door to the walks these steps were scattered along. Nobody ever called the cops on us, but we weren't doing much damage either.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you @Josh That was a total hoot. I am not a park person either and this is far removed from the reasons I ski, but these kids are amazing. It's like Parcour on skis. High ticket prices? go ski in the neighborhood!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Love it! Minimalist and fun - love the towing in a flat town. Tom Wallisch does some more produced and impressive "urban" skiing vids (as do a lot of other folks)...

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Awesome !

Kids just wanna have fun !!! And it looks like they are good at it !

onstar1

Booting up
Skier
I inline skated back in the days and never really understood the park/street side of skiing/snowboarding.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Part of me wonders if they worked for the money to buy their own skis they trash like that. Full disclosure, I didn't when I was that age. But, that's definitely something that keeps me away from the rails these days. I just hit the jumps and avoid things that might damage the skis I paid for.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Amazing to watch where it's going ........ Loving the music and the urban vibes! Except for Tom W. and his buddy........ two words for most of the vids....... "Universal Healthcare"!!!!!! LMAO.......... They are going to mos def need it @ 50!

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
not much a fan of this stuff. Don't care for it, think its idiotic and not skiing, do not think its cool, have little respect for it. But whatever floats your boat :) matters not to me so long as none of it hurts anyone or anything. And some of this stuff does leave some question in that regard.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online