• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What cell phone should I get?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stay on Verizon. They have hands down the best coverage in the western US and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
No, I don't have one, but one of the things I like is that there's no bloatware installed, and it's a straight up raw Android OS. I read some reviews, and it doesn't seem like a bad phone.
Thanks I'm giving it serious consideration for its proclaimed durability. After all, it is for work. It can be written off. :)

I just paused typing this post to check a review. I trust C-NET and they are not that excited about Essential. More that the company is in a state of flux than the phone although they thought the camera was weak, too. Essential Phone PH-1 review

So it looks like Moto is top of the heap and G6 over X or ZF2 due to price.

More comments folks? I haven't made a decision yet. :cool:

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I thank everyone for their thoughts on this purchase.

I picked up a New Moto Z2 Force on eBay for $369. I had to purchase the chargers and case separately as the phone was provided as 'bulk packaging'. All told I spent was $416.48 delivered. I did up my budget after realizing the Project Fi was for GSM only phones and, of course, the phones were loss leaders.

I'm going to stay with Verizon (@Core2 , thanks for your vote on that) as I have looked at the plan that I'm on and can end up paying about $45/month; I'm sharing a 4GB plan with a friend and her kids.

The Essential phone looked really inviting, but the company is too unstable for me to commit to it.

p.jpg
p.jpg
p.jpg
p.jpg

I guess I'll have to add another $10 to the total price as I need a nano-SIM.

I'm pretty excited to have a phone that will have plenty of memory, speed and life left. I'm supposed to be able to upgrade to Android 'Pie' (9). I don't know when, but I'm not in a great hurry. 'Oreo' (8) ought to be available now.

More to come in the new month as it all starts to arrive Friday.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Stay on Verizon. They have hands down the best coverage in the western US and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

I like the Verizon network too. However, I just switched to xfinity because I have xfiniy TV and internet. Xfinity uses the Verizon network because of a smart business arrangement. Costs me a grunch less and there a a bunch of WiFi hotspots everywhere. If you have xfinity cable I recommend you look into it.

As far a inexpensive phones, I’m an iPhone fan and no help there.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I like the Verizon network too. However, I just switched to xfinity because I have xfiniy TV and internet. Xfinity uses the Verizon network because of a smart business arrangement. Costs me a grunch less and there a a bunch of WiFi hotspots everywhere. If you have xfinity cable I recommend you look into it.

I have comcast business class internet so I don't think I'd qualify for a bundle. I do get the Wi-Fi hotspots though.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I just did this. XFINITY mobile is running a number of phone offers right now, too. Could be worth it....

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats on the new phone Doug!

One suggestion since you keep your phones forever (as I do), keep an eye on this over time to make sure your Z2 Force is still getting security updates:
https://support.motorola.com/us/en/softwareupgrade

Most folks don't think of it, but you really should stop using a phone after it no longer receives security updates. Same with anything that connects to the Internet. It's not worth the risk. There are too many bad guys out there that will get you.

I prefer Android and switched to a Pixel 2 from three previous Samsung phones for the pure Android experience, but mostly because of the quick security updates. All the other Android phones are typically weeks or months behind the Pixel in updating the OS. That's a really long time to be walking around with a security vulnerability.

I hate to say it but my next phone might just be an iPhone just for security and privacy reasons. Google is making great strides in security, but an iPhone is a more secure device for most users. While Android security is improving, we'll see how things go on the privacy front. That could very well push me to Apple for my next phone.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I am liking everything about my new phone.

Except that I can't say capture to take a picture.

Also I can't get the Swype keyboard. The latter let me easily add words (usually acronyms and proper names) to the dictionary and to force the case (ALL CAPS, all lower case or Leading cap) with just a couple strokes.

If anyone has solutions for these two relatively trivial problems, please let me know.

A third issue that can't be corrected and isn't that important is that it doesn't have a headphone jack.

When I did my ride around Guyot, I took my old Samsung to use just as a camera because it works so easily with voice commands. I'll probably do that going forward when I ski, too, as I'd rather lose/break my Samsung than my new phone. I'll have both on me, but the Moto will be just for 'business' and the Samsung for photos and music.

Thanks for all the input especially @SkiNurse and others that recommended the Z2.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
One of my droids didn't have swype and I had to download it. I trust you've been through all the trouble shooting.

Nothing under keyboard options?

I thought this was a cool site

https://www.phonetipsandtricks.com/tips/motorola-moto-z2-force/

I haven't had to survive without a headphone jack yet. I use bluetooth headphones and don't currently use the jack but just like knowing it's there lol. Hopefully you have bluetooth.

At least these are small things and you are otherwise loving your new phone.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I just became aware of a Xiaomi phone called Pocophone F1, starts at $300 and you get flagship level hardware. There are of course compromises like plastic back and no waterproofing etc., but spec sounds great for the price.

Dunno if you can get it in US though.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm still on a flip phone. My husband is on one of the flip phones I stopped using. Why? Because everyone I know using a Smartphone is always saying it's "about to die" and they can't see the screen outside. Plus it's small, and pretty bullet proof. I consider a phone a possible lifeline. And the PRICE of these fancy phones is ridiculous.

Yes, I'm old.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm still on a flip phone. My husband is on one of the flip phones I stopped using. Why? Because everyone I know using a Smartphone is always saying it's "about to die" and they can't see the screen outside. Plus it's small, and pretty bullet proof. I consider a phone a possible lifeline. And the PRICE of these fancy phones is ridiculous.

Yes, I'm old.

My sister is about to turn 38 and she just got rid of her flip phone a couple years ago. She's very anti technology. I miss lots of things about my flip phone, battery life, the fact that you could throw it across the room and it would be just fine, texting using the T9 method as you could whip out a text and not even have to look at the keyboard. I'm blind though so don't miss the size of the screen but I'm often wistful about the other things.

My favorite "old school" phones were the Motorola Razr and the LG Chocolate.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Yes, I'm old.

I'd go that route if it weren't for business. A real camera and a flip phone would suit me fine.

I do get a lot of work done on my phone when I'm away from my office, though, using my cell phone, aka micro table PC.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
@Doug Briggs, didn't yours come with a headphone jack converter? Mine did, the only problem with that is you cannot charge and listen simultaneously. It also utilizes a Turbo Charger that takes the battery from near death to full in under an hour. One of the best quirky features is the tomahawk chop flashlight.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Doug Briggs, didn't yours come with a headphone jack converter? Mine did, the only problem with that is you cannot charge and listen simultaneously. It also utilizes a Turbo Charger that takes the battery from near death to full in under an hour. One of the best quirky features is the tomahawk chop flashlight.
If you have a battery pack, then you can charge & listen at the same time. I love the batter packs! I have the setting set to charge when my phone gets to 80%.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cell services all suck differently..get the one that sucks less for you. ;)

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

They might have the best network overall but in my area they are horrible. The only reason I can make calls from home is wifi calling. Of course, most of the providers do because a nearby neighborhood objected to a new cell tower and now we all suffer. Just yesterday I learned of a site www.opensignal.com which uses crowdsourcing to gather data on actual coverage rather than what the providers claim. Don't even get me started on the objections being raised for a new communications tower that will improve the power smart grid in our area.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Mine was a 'bulk' phone, meaning the guy bought a box of new phones without retail accessories. I had to obtain chargers and all on my own. I don't mind the lack of headphone capability. Most of the time I listen to music via BT although I'm also in the market for a new set of BT headphones. My Moto SD 9s(?) battery is only good for an hour. Usually I'm using a BT speaker these days.

@SkiNurse , the Quick Charge function is great. Battery life is so good I don't need to think about an external Moto Mod battery.

@Philpug , I stayed with Verizon as it has excellent coverage in Summit County.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
They might have the best network overall but in my area they are horrible. The only reason I can make calls from home is wifi calling. Of course, most of the providers do because a nearby neighborhood objected to a new cell tower and now we all suffer. Just yesterday I learned of a site www.opensignal.com which uses crowdsourcing to gather data on actual coverage rather than what the providers claim. Don't even get me started on the objections being raised for a new communications tower that will improve the power smart grid in our area.

Summit Cove had the same problem with cell service. It is a safety issue these days as so few people have landlines. People have to buck up and accept that cellular towers are a necessity, not a convenience. Heck they even have one in the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels. Best cellular service on I-70!

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

My family has a Verizon tower on our land in New Mexico. The town fought it for years and lost so Verizon put it up and painted it green and no one even knows it is there. They did notice how they have better cell service.

Sponsor

Staff online