• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

What cell phone should I get?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have a tired old Samsung 4S that I've been using for a number of years. I did upgrade from a 16 GB to a 32 GB version but despite having room for my apps, it hasn't gotten any faster. I suspect I could get some pep back in it by resetting it and reinstalling just the apps I need but I'm not convinced that will be enough speed gain for my desires. The phone is not new anymore so new hardware could be a good idea anyway.

I noticed that Amazon is selling new Moto G series and Z series phones for around $300 or less. That's a price I can live with. I don't want to pay more for a device that can easily get lost or broken and mostly what I do is email, text, photos and minor web surfing.

Excellent battery life, physical durability (I'll get an Otter case and screen protector regardless), great photos and support for MS Exchange/Office365 are essential.

Your thoughts on Motorola phones in general and any in particular are appreciated. I'm not interested in iPhones. They are too pricey for my needs and I'm pretty much sold on Android.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Don't buy a Sony Xperia XA1... I had a Moto G for a while and it was a fine phone. Eventually just lost upgrade ability. I am currently looking at the Moto 6. Make note though, the Moto 6 Play, Moto 6 and Moto 6 Ultra are all different. Don't get the Play, get the Moto 6 at least. The Play has a plastic screen whereas the straight Moto 6 has Gorilla Glass. I'm going to stick it out with my Xperia for now but if I were to get another phone, it'd be the Moto 6 I would think.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like my Moto Z Force 2. Then agiaa, the have always been a Motorola fan. The attachable power packs mean the phone never runs out of juice (even though the regular battery life is awesome) and the mods are pretty cool. I have the speaker and the projector.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the Sony Xperia XZ1 line (Android). Good CPU and currently mid-350$. The more recent XZ2 is twice that. I've got the older Xperia X compact. 2+ days of battery with light use. The photos are good, but on a recent trip, was blown away with a Samsung someone else had. Didn't get the model, or any other notes.

Don't think your issue is memory. More likely CPU not keeping up with newer software (update) designs: more threads, parallel processes, running at the same time.

Good luck with your search.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I used to have Motorola phones. I'm a samsung gal these days and love my Note 8. Motorola used to make a hell of a phone, I'm sure they still do. I had a moto smart phone with the slide out keyboard i liked a lot. Happy cell hunting.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks, @scott43 .

EDIT: Thanks everyone else the replied while I was composing this message! :)

More searches brought up more questions. Like Project Fi. Does anyone use Project Fi? I'm currently on Verizon and it seems like I can save big with Project Fi as I rarely use more than 1 GB of data per month. I'm a bit worried about changing carriers in Summit County but from the chatter I hear on local pages all the cellular networks are maxed out this summer with lots of dropped calls and slow to impossible SMS delivery. What about the Moto X4 Android One, too? The attraction to these phones is that they are Android and moderately priced.

And am I missing something with the Moto phones? They are ridiculously affordable compared to Pixel, LG and especially Apple. Is the quality good? Am I sacrificing features? Are they durable? I drop my phone a fair amount and my Samsung screen is still uncracked.

Another thing I am wondering about are the email protocols that are supported. Is it a given that MS Exchange will work with it? Will it work with it well. I've had a phone (I don't recall which) that didn't work well with Exchange.

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't buy a Sony Xperia XA1

+1 on NOT getting the A1. Definitely underpowered.

Sales person pointed to the Moto G6 instead at the $250 price point. My kids have been very happy so far, but all they do is text, watch videos, and play games.

scott43

Skier
+1 on NOT getting the A1. Definitely underpowered.

Sales person pointed to the Moto G6 instead at the $250 price point. My kids have been very happy so far, but all they do is text, watch videos, and play games.
Yeah, google xperia xa1 touchscreen failure....arggghh.....

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Just get a pixel 2......pure unadulterated Android with someone's crappy skin on it. Pixel 3 is about to come out so should be able to get it on sale. I've got the original pixel and it's the best phone I've ever had. It's almost two years old and still as snappy as the day I bought it. The battery doesn't hold a charge as long anymore though.

scott43

Skier
Thanks, @scott43 .

More searches brought up more questions. Like Project Fi. Does anyone use Project Fi? I'm currently on Verizon and it seems like I can save big with Project Fi as I rarely use more than 1 GB of data per month. I'm a bit worried about changing carriers in Summit County but from the chatter I hear on local pages all the cellular networks are maxed out this summer with lots of dropped calls and slow to impossible SMS delivery. What about the Moto X4 Android One, too? The attraction to these phones is that they are Android and moderately priced.

And am I missing something with the Moto phones? They are ridiculously affordable compared to Pixel, LG and especially Apple. Is the quality good? Am I sacrificing features? Are they durable? I drop my phone a fair amount and my Samsung screen is still uncracked.

Another thing I am wondering about are the email protocols that are supported. Is it a given that MS Exchange will work with it? Will it work with it well. I've had a phone (I don't recall which) that didn't work well with Exchange.
Generally mail protocols are software based so you're looking at similar issues with Android in general. I mean, I believe that's the case. I know different phones have different flavours of the Android OS but I don't think it's likely related to hardware, except the general performance of the phone.

Moto phones are pretty competitively priced. Mine (Moto G) was good..but..I've heard they are declining in quality. Can't say firsthand but I'm willing to give the Moto 6 a try.

I saw some of the newer phones in the $1200 range..and yeah..I don't love a phone that much...

scott43

Skier
Just get a pixel 2......pure unadulterated Android with someone's crappy skin on it. Pixel 3 is about to come out so should be able to get it on sale. I've got the original pixel and it's the best phone I've ever had. It's almost two years old and still as snappy as the day I bought it. The battery doesn't hold a charge as long anymore though.
Pixels are nice..but pricey. And yeah, getting a Google device means you get updates first and don't have to worry about what's gone on with the OS before you get it.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am quite happy with my LG G3. Still rockin after all these years. Battery life is excellent, 2 days on a charge, although I'm not a teenager streaming games and movies. I know they are up to G8 now, but I haven't had a reason to change yet

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
What about the Essential Phone: https://www.essential.com/#order

Brand new, $399, and 128GB.

Do you have one?

The specs are good, pretty much the same as most others at a quick glance. I was impressed by the concrete drop demo as that is what happens to my phone, a lot. I am drawn in by the 360 camera but how often, really, would I use that feature? Dunno. I don't have it now. :huh:

The price is a bit more than I want to spend, though. I could get the Moto G6 from Project Fi for $200, add a 128 GB SD card for $20 - $50, get $50 credit for service and pay about $30 per month, down from $60 with Verizon. Cash outlay is important to me.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I really like my Moto Z Force 2. Then agiaa, the have always been a Motorola fan. The attachable power packs mean the phone never runs out of juice (even though the regular battery life is awesome) and the mods are pretty cool. I have the speaker and the projector.
GMTA. I also have a MotoZF2, very durable, I have dropped it numerous times and it has slipped from my pocket onto pavement with no damage. I don't even have a case or extra screen protector on it. I can sit on it without bending it. Fast charge by wire or pad. I've had it 4-5 months and like it.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
GMTA. I also have a MotoZF2, very durable, I have dropped it numerous times and it has slipped from my pocket onto pavement with no damage. I don't even have a case or extra screen protector on it. I can sit on it without bending it. Fast charge by wire or pad. I've had it 4-5 months and like it.

Guaranteed screen is a really nice feature. Looks good, but too much $.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Have you checked fleabay at all? I've bought many a cell phone from there over the years and it might be a way to get more phone for your price point. There's also facebook tag sale sites. All you need to do is check out the IMEI and ESN numbers. If those are clean proceed ahead. Just an idea.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Have you checked fleabay at all? I've bought many a cell phone from there over the years and it might be a way to get more phone for your price point. There's also facebook tag sale sites. All you need to do is check out the IMEI and ESN numbers. If those are clean proceed ahead. Just an idea.

I haven't looked much lately. I will. The deals on eBay are usually for older models and I'm hoping for a more current phone to keep up with the demands apps make on them. Current phones on eBay are (or at least have been) nearly the same price as what is available from the cellular provider. I'm liking that there is more diversity in price for full featured Android phones now. The last time I looked, it was pretty much all the same price.

My Samsungs came from eBay and were a good value. I have 32GB and 16GB Samsung S4s. The 16GB is my backup as I can't be without a phone for my business.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Do you have one?

The specs are good, pretty much the same as most others at a quick glance. I was impressed by the concrete drop demo as that is what happens to my phone, a lot. I am drawn in by the 360 camera but how often, really, would I use that feature? Dunno. I don't have it now. :huh:

The price is a bit more than I want to spend, though. I could get the Moto G6 from Project Fi for $200, add a 128 GB SD card for $20 - $50, get $50 credit for service and pay about $30 per month, down from $60 with Verizon. Cash outlay is important to me.

No, I don't have one, but one of the things I like is that there's no bloatware installed, and it's a straight up raw Android OS. I read some reviews, and it doesn't seem like a bad phone.

Sponsor

Staff online