• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Maybe @markojp has an inside line on some NOS M108s in 191?

All I know is not many 191's were made in both the 98 and 108 models. I doubt any are available unless a small shop somewhere has a pair gathering dust in the corner. I'm not man enough for the 191's, that's for sure.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
188 moment commander
195 stockli stormrider pro
196 blizzard bodacious
186 line supernatural 108

Obviously, lots of options if older skis are okay with the op. Stormrider pro, katana, xxl, rc112, 196 moment governor, 192 Belafonte, etc.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's because I never see you more than 20 feet from a race gate. Makes perfect sense.

ROFL! :roflmao: no, 188/30 in gates, 195/35 is for free skiing......and you may see more of me at Squaw this year as I will be working there as well as Mt. Rose....

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The OP wants a 189. He'll be fine on the longer ski

I've had the experience of thinking, "These skis are a lot of work in these tight trees. I wish I had rented shorter skis."
I've also had the experience of thinking, "Holy F**k these skis are rattling my fillings out; I hope I can hang on until I reach the softer deeper snow where the chute levels off and opens up; I should have bought the 213s instead of the 208s" when straight-lining a a steep chute and encountering some rough snow conditions due to snow that had fallen down the chute and settled in blocks/lumps.

The feeling that I should have been on shorter skis was much less unpleasant than the feeling that I should have gone longer.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Regarding the Kastle BMX 105, here's the deal. The BMX 105 HP, for a guy the OP's size and proported ability/narrative isn't a killer big beast like the 108 was. It's a nice, smooth, managable, round bending, strong'ish ski that's one of the more versatile 10-somethings on the hill. He's stated pretty clearly what he's looking for. Sure, he might be a hack. Without film, there's no way to know. Recommendations are based only on what we DO know, and there's plenty we don't, but it's the internet and you (third person) get what you pay for.

Last edited:
TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
now I'm disappointed I missed it

I don't make any spectacular claims about my skiing ability. I do weigh 195lbs and squat 400lbs for reps though so it's easy for me to overpower many non race skis just through strength.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Another ski that should be on your radar is the Atomic Vantage 107 ti .... Good strong ski.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
I almost bought some new '14 198 katanas but just missed them. probably for the best since they seem pretty excessive but still would have been fun. found some decent used cochise 192s im looking forward to.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2B93604D-02D0-4CF8-893B-50CE40F587A1.jpeg

VON

Booting up
Skier
I've demo'd the Invictus 108ti. It's a great ski and there are still some deals to be found.

Can't go wrong with the Cochise 192. I remember when I skied the 192's a couple years ago (the blue ones), I thought they were amazing. Great edge hold, super damp (so not a ton of rebound out of the turn on the groomers), and absolute crud destroyers. Only issue for me was that they needed to be skied aggressively from first chair to last, and I didn't have the stamina (or desire) to ski that aggressively all day.

I'm currently on the 189cm 105HP's. They are less aggressive than the Cochises, and have a softer tip, but they are in no way shape or form a noodle. They're pretty quick edge to edge, good mix of dampness to poppiness (but definitely on the damper side of the spectrum), and the soft(ish) tips allow them to plane up pretty nicely in powder for a stiff and still fairly narrow ski.

When reading your preferences, the ski that came to mind immediately was the Moment Commander. I haven't skied it, but I've spoken to a few people have. The ski is a beast. Nice looking shape too.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you want a freeride comp ski checkout the praxis gpo.

Personally I prefer a less than comp level stiffness ski for All day long use charging around UT resorts. Nordica has made some very well regarded 10-something skis for the last few years. I still love the El Capos from a few years back. You might like a wider version of the nordicas you already have.

Last edited:

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Given your weight, strength and ability take a look at the Dynastar Legend Pro XXL...I'm the same size and pre-fatherhood lived in the gym. If you can carve a race ski you'll love them, beefy, long radius and unflappable at speed. Skied the 194 regularly in CO, UT, and Canada. Two layers of metal and they have zero speed limit.

I'm not shipping them but I have two pairs for sale 194 and 187 in great shape. Pruning down from a 9 ski quiver as I've gone from skiing 40+ days to 1 so far this season.

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/denver-fat-skis-dynastar-xxl-194-look/6785613747.html

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/6786308740.html

mntntom

Booting up
Skier
191 metal Katana? Used to be the benchmark for manly chargers. To much ski for me, I had to back off to V-Werks 184s. Love 'em!

Sponsor