• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
My only non race skis are Nordica Enforcer 93s in 193cm. I love them but am finding I would want something a bit wider for west coast trips that can handle just about everything. I'm thinking of just leaving the enforcers for my vermont trips.

I like longer turning radii and at least 190cm and probably 105-110mm. Something very stiff and stable at speed.

So currently I'm looking at the Blizzard Cochise in 192 which seems to check all the boxes but wondering if there is anything else I should be considering.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Armada Invictus 108ti in a 188, or the 4FRNT Devastator may be other options for you.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Armada Invictus 108ti in a 188, or the 4FRNT Devastator may be other options for you.

Devestator looks interesting but I'm skeptical if I would like reverse camber, and the 194 is very heavy from what I read.

Armada Invictus in 188 could work since it has a 26m radius I'll have to look into it more.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My only non race skis are Nordica Enforcer 93s in 193cm. I love them but am finding I would want something a bit wider for west coast trips that can handle just about everything. I'm thinking of just leaving the enforcers for my vermont trips.

I like longer turning radii and at least 190cm and probably 105-110mm. Something very stiff and stable at speed.

So currently I'm looking at the Blizzard Cochise in 192 which seems to check all the boxes but wondering if there is anything else I should be considering.

Coincidently Im selling My Moment Deathwish in 190cm. Not because I dont like them but because my wife prohibited me from having more than 3 pairs of skis, at least for now. Its a ski I would buy again.

They are fun but pretty burly and chargy although they are not Monster heavy.

https://www.pugski.com/threads/2017...cm-marker-baron-13-epf-touring-binding.12151/

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Jason take a look at the Wagner Skis web site. From my personal experience they can make a ski based on ones own personal needs. Yes, they were not inexpensive, but they were/are just what I asked Pete for in telephone calls and emails. Doesn't cost anything to give Pete a call (other than phone charges). Truly a custom made ski -- and no I don't have any interest or investment in Wagner Skis, I'm just a customer.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm not really interested in custom, I would rather put that kinda cash towards trip expenses. Ideally I would like something I can find on sale or lightly used.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
192 Blizzard Cochise, seems to tick all the right boxes and is a great ski to boot.

What really comes to mind given your description and avatar is a pair of NOS 191 Dynastar Legend Pro XXL (if you can find those) or NOS Rossi Squads.

Other suggestions: Any number of indie brands that make a stiff 190+ ski could work too. 189 Kastle BMX105HP would be my personal favorite in that width/target terrain, but it is expensive and may initially feel a bit short (although it is DEFINITELY not a noodle, and will do just fine). Enforcer Pro would also be good and will give you a familiar shape and construction.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
dont see them for sale anywhere

Not surprising. They were hard to find even when the M108 was in production.

What really comes to mind given your description and avatar is a pair of NOS 191 Dynastar Legend Pro XXL (if you can find those).

Ha, I thought the exact same thing.

Have true wider chargers disappeared?

More research indicates that it might be hard to beat the Cochise. Maybe the Folsom Primary (sorta kinda custom I think), which comes in 192 and 195:

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2017-2018-folsom-skis-primary-custom-188-cm

Last edited:

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Black Crows corvus seems like it was made for someone just like you.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Black Crows corvus seems like it was made for someone just like you.
That's another one with reverse camber. Never tried it and I'm skeptical of how it would perform on hard pack. I want them to be fast and feel good everywhere.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I get the urge to get a 190+ stiff charger, but realistically- where are you going to ski those??? Yes, western mountains are big, but if you don't live there and don't get lucky with timing, you are probably skiing three-day old powder or whatever is left from it, or just refrozen chunder. FWIIW, JT Holmes seems to be fine at Squaw on a pair of 189 Head A-Star, which, granted, nobody would call a noodle, but it is not an unabashed freight train ski either. And nobody would call JT a timid skier ;-)

If you insist on hero skis, there is always Blizzard Spur:D. The season before last I saw Travis Ganong ripping the Spurs through the trees at Squaw on a stormy pow day. It was impressive, I tried to stay with him, of course by the time I made it down to the middle of that slope, he was gooneee... You may still find the Spur on clearance. Definitely big bragging rights in the lift line. But, yeah, Cochise seems to be the ticket and it is much less of a one trick-pony than the Spur. Enjoy.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't know 105-110mm doesn't seem that unreasonable for any conditions fresh or not. The appeal of a stiff charger is being able to ski it anywhere and I would think that would be especially beneficial busting through crud or whatever variable conditions.

The enforcers are adequate outside of powder but I find they could be stiffer even for groomers/crud.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
That's another one with reverse camber. Never tried it and I'm skeptical of how it would perform on hard pack. I want them to be fast and feel good everywhere.

Kastle 105HP, they can be found used at great prices. The 181cm is a charger as well so the 189cm is not a must.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Kastle 105HP, they can be found used at great prices. The 181cm is a charger as well so the 189cm is not a must.

The OP wants a 189. He'll be fine on the longer ski

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe @markojp has an inside line on some NOS M108s in 191?

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
2014 katana in a 191 or 198.
Keep an eye on eBay and tgr gear swap they pop up sometimes but go fast as they have come to be a hard charging cult classic.

Neighbors shop has the Icelantic pioneer 190/109 in stock this season. Definately looks like a fun ski for a daily driver. Flex is pretty good without being super burly. 21r should be enough to charge hard but not always be forced into it. On the demo list for sure

As said above dynastar pro rider 192.

On3p wren 108 in 189..may have a smaller number stamped on it but my guess is strait tape pull its the same as the cochise

Doesn't really fit your exact specs but been hearing good things about the lib-tech wreckreate 110 in 191 as an all around super fun daily driver. Hoping to find a par to test out this season

You really can't go wrong with the Cochise though.

Reactions: BC.

Sponsor

Staff online