• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Welcome to the world of cycling

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
@scott43

"Oh, and I'm not being negative about the vintage thing. Like I say, if it makes you happy, great! :) But there is always more than one viewpoint."

Plastic bikes are like plastic bindings...here today, gone tommorrow:doh:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah, it's totally the same thing. You know how some people have the "220's were the best..I could ski powder with those things..if you can't do moguls on 220's you suck.." attitude. Same with bikes. I had to endure the fixie hipster doofus craze..people telling ME, of all people, how great fixies are! Like, knock yourself out, but they are a limited form of transport! Especially when they don't want to put brakes on them because that's uncool. Like, serious? LIke I say, religion..don't try to go against the church of fixie..

Oh, and I'm not being negative about the vintage thing. Like I say, if it makes you happy, great! :) But there is always more than one viewpoint.
So I'm thinking of a Kawartha lakes fixie tour...

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
IMG_1138.JPG

Another one of my bikes. Mid 80's vintage, may have 200 miles on it. Haven't been able to ride since. My knees can't tolerate the repetitiousness of a spin.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
In coastal California I ride my road bike all year. MTB I generally don't ride in the winter. I don't like mud. Go figure. When I grew up in the midwest "mountain" bike riding was what we now call "cross-country". But the North Bay is the birthplace of mountain biking. Everything around here is about busting your ass climbing a great big mountain and then flying down it as fast as you dare over, under, and through, "technical" features. I actually prefer cross country riding. I have a Breezer Supercell which is a FS 29er made for CC, not downhill, for that reason.

You know what's funny? There is better "cross country" riding in the mountains (North Tahoe) than out here in the north bay, which seems to be all about downhill!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Good Lord! Amazing.

I don't bike but I have an Austro-Daimler from around 1980. How is that bike considered? Last I used it was in Brooklyn nearly 20 yrs ago and I put fat non racing tires on it because I just wanted transport. I got the bike from a friend who got it new. He used it at one point to tour Scotland. I got rid of the panniers a long time ago unfortunately. He had two derailler and gear cluster setups for it. I think I still have the extra setup. I guess one was more for hills.

I know nothing about bikes and haven't looked at in years. As I remember it was quite a good bike. The shifter levers were hollowed out which I'd never seen before but I usually rode cheap schwinns or peugeot and had a fuji. In Brooklyn a guy collected them and wanted to buy it but it was worth more to me to keep it at the time as the offer wasn't much.

At this point it would need a full tear down and I haven't worked on a bike in so long I wouldn't know where to start. You guys know bikes, what do you think?
I'd do this one personally..
http://www.bikemuskoka.ca/maps/huntsville-rides/
But I'm biased. :D
Nah way too far north :P

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
Fixed gear riding is so much fun if you're using clipless pedals or if there aren't many hills. Then you don't actually need to use the brakes much. But in hilly terrain, fixed gear is a terrible tool. I used to commute around town on fixed gear and it was great, especially at intersections (trackstands for days!). But now I live on top of a big hill and I don't like killing my legs on the way down the hill too, when I still have to climb back up again. So I use the freewheel. But still singlespeed. Because I like to think I'm cool.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 6087
Another one of my bikes. Mid 80's vintage, may have 200 miles on it. Haven't been able to ride since. My knees can't tolerate the repetitiousness of a spin.

Nice! Mine is mid a 90's Serotta Altanlta. Love it, but it's a bit heavy these day compared to those carbon fiber thangs

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
What is the blue track bike? Also, what size bikes do you ride?

epic, is this aimed @ me?

The blue 'track' bike is not a track bike, it is a custom road fixed gear by Alpine built in 1988. You can see more here if interested;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22219626@N08/albums/72157629554217678
Full Suntour Superbe Pro Track kit on her. She is a 62cm (C to T).

I comfortably own and ride bikes from 58cm to 63cm (57cm to 59cm TT) . It amazes me when people 'pass' on a bike or frameset because it is
ONE cm off what they call their size. But whatever, ride what you like!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I've gotten myself mixed up with someone who does a lot of centuries. Her typical fun ride is 72 miles. She teaches spin class. She's waiting for ski season to end so she can torture me on the road. Fortunately Snowbird stays open through May. After that I could go all soccer and fake an injury. A couple of days ago I jokingly called her lazy and now she really wants to kick my ass. I know now it was stupid of me.

For the last several years I've ridden a Specialized Allez which has a composite fork but otherwise is aluminum. It has stock wheels and I think it weighs 20 lbs.

Anyways I like the bike and would like to know if I can make it lighter and faster without spending a crazy amount of money. I've begun to check out wheels. Since some of you guys seem to be in the know maybe you have some thoughts. About the bike. I already realize I'm in over my head. I'll be getting in normal warm season shape but I like a nice 20 mile ride, not 72.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
In coastal California I ride my road bike all year. MTB I generally don't ride in the winter. I don't like mud. Go figure. When I grew up in the midwest "mountain" bike riding was what we now call "cross-country". But the North Bay is the birthplace of mountain biking. Everything around here is about busting your ass climbing a great big mountain and then flying down it as fast as you dare over, under, and through, "technical" features. I actually prefer cross country riding. I have a Breezer Supercell which is a FS 29er made for CC, not downhill, for that reason.

You know what's funny? There is better "cross country" riding in the mountains (North Tahoe) than out here in the north bay, which seems to be all about downhill!
I'm the same as you, then. I'm not into the technical riding aspect of it, yet, it's hard to avoid. And I loathe road riding.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
So I've gotten myself mixed up with someone who does a lot of centuries. Her typical fun ride is 72 miles. She teaches spin class. She's waiting for ski season to end so she can torture me on the road. Fortunately Snowbird stays open through May. After that I could go all soccer and fake an injury. A couple of days ago I jokingly called her lazy and now she really wants to kick my ass. I know now it was stupid of me.

For the last several years I've ridden a Specialized Allez which has a composite fork but otherwise is aluminum. It has stock wheels and I think it weighs 20 lbs.

Anyways I like the bike and would like to know if I can make it lighter and faster without spending a crazy amount of money. I've begun to check out wheels. Since some of you guys seem to be in the know maybe you have some thoughts. About the bike. I already realize I'm in over my head. I'll be getting in normal warm season shape but I like a nice 20 mile ride, not 72.

I replaced the stock Mavic cheapo wheels on my Scott CR1 Team with ROL wheels a couple of years ago. I didn't get the lightest set they have but still saved a fair amount of weight and I've been very pleased with the performance. They're still true.

Personally, I'd recommend you move up to a full carbon frame. My experience when I was shopping for a new road bike several years ago was that aluminum frames were really harsh, a carbon fork helped a little, but a full carbon frame made a huge difference.

And the way you do a 72 mile ride with this woman is by drafting. Saves your energy and you get a nice view.:D

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I replaced the stock Mavic cheapo wheels on my Scott CR1 Team with ROL wheels a couple of years ago. I didn't get the lightest set they have but still saved a fair amount of weight and I've been very pleased with the performance. They're still true.

Personally, I'd recommend you move up to a full carbon frame. My experience when I was shopping for a new road bike several years ago was that aluminum frames were really harsh, a carbon fork helped a little, but a full carbon frame made a huge difference.

And the way you do a 72 mile ride with this woman is by drafting. Saves your energy and you get a nice view.:D

:roflmao: Good one!
I want a carbon mountain bike something fierce. A 27.5 as the 29er is just too cumbersome for me in tight spaces. But instead, we get to pay an additional 4k in taxes this year. Yaay!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

The other thing, if you're buying wheels, the aero from deeper rims makes a big difference. And if you're going for something higher end, like a carbon rim, the weight penalty isn't much, if anything. So you can still climb pretty well but get much higher speed on the flats.

If you're like me, you build solid wheels that last forever and are dirt cheap. :D But I NEED the exercise!!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January